Community Question | Your Favourite Decade Of Formula One?

I see a few say it was when you started watching, but theres another thing that hasn't even been mentioned, and thats actual coverage of races. I would say good coverage of races started in the 80's. Yes there was some before that but it was really poor at best. Theres hardly any of the 50's, which I would have really liked to see. The 60's is probably my fav, but thats due more to GPL than me actually seeing coverage of races, even though I watched as much as I could on Wide World of Sports.
But then again I would't have missed the Schumacher era for anything, or Nelson Piquet either.
I liked all the differences in the early 50 and 60 year cars, they tried everything they could, sometimes at the expense of a drivers life. Plus they were so simple compared to the modern cars. Anyone could drive one, as long as you could drive a stick, and you can't say that about todays cars. But they weren't real safe either, pretty much a bathtub surrounded by gasoline.
Again though early tracks had the variety, but again they weren't safe, but they sure were fun to drive. Access to tracks was great back in the earlier days, you could literally get almost next to the cars, of course you might get killed too.
If I had a time machine I would go to as many 50's races as I could as well as the 60's so I could see the likes of Fangio, Ascari, Clark and so many more. I remember one time I actually got to see the Indycar Jim raced at the 500, that yellow and green stood out so much, i think it was at Lime Rock. I actually got close enough to really touch it, i think it was sometimes in the late 70's or 80's. Strange part was no one was around it at all, maybe thats what made it so special.

But about era - simracing definitely changes a lot.
1) I appreciate 1966-71 era, interesting\hard physics and tracks, I haven't even born yet.
1) Mid seventies cars were too boxy and ugly. Not all, of course - 6-wheel Tyrrell was cool.
2) 1979-82 great cars, 1985-87 cars also OK. But in 1983 some cars without sidepods were awful (like that year's Brabham).
In 1986 with all these turbos is almost pinnacle, great shapes, power, championship battle.
3) I began to show interest in F1 around 1988-90. Shapes of those times - average, not bad... but small cars like toys
4) Then I like 1996 - if there are high noses, then this is those " torpedo" shapes I like the most, very good liveries...
5) Around 2000, until 2004 - Quite OK
6) But then - worse and worse, those overproduced\curved shapes in 2006-2007 no, no.
7) After 2012 - I do not care anymore (in 2014 - even liveries were mostly black grey, worst skins ever).
The only thing that improved in F1 in recent years is "liveries" - much more noticable than in 2014.
Always hated this term "silver", honestly it is just grey,
P. S. Best openwheel (winged) car shape is Lola in 1995, but that's Indycar chassis.

And the DRS introduction killed everything for me, F1's push to pass era, what a shame for this noble sport.

Agree.

While P2P in Indycar at least gives each driver total freedom on when, where, and how much of their "account" they can use, DRS in F1 is just silly and defeats the entire point of skillful overtakes. All you have to do is push a button and blow right past him, and there's nothing the guy you're passing can do about it - he's just a sitting duck. There's just no value in it.

While again Indy's P2P system is at least more freely and smartly implemented, allowing the guy ahead to at least "counter" with his own P2P as long as he has some left, IMO both series would be better without their respective systems.

It is a shame that open wheeled racing has become so risk-adverse and hypersensitive in recent years when it comes to crowd appeasement. Overtakes have never been prolific in the entire history of F1 and even Grand Prix races before it, yet only in recent years have we had people whining incessantly about "Not enough overtakes! This is boring!! We wanna see more passing!!!". And the FiA typically overreacts...

Going to go out on a limb here and say that the era you love is the era you grew up in or when you fell in love with F1 and/or racing in general.

For some reason I fall outside this, as I said I find 86-96 to be the best (with the discussion being if 96 should be included, and if so, why not 97). While I never had a chance to watch F1 until 98. Not that watching it before would've helped seeing how young I was.

Except if you're Villeneuve fan. :sneaky:

I am. I am a huge JV-fan actually!

While again Indy's P2P system is at least more freely and smartly implemented, allowing the guy ahead to at least "counter" with his own P2P as long as he has some left, IMO both series would be better without their respective systems.

Totally agree. That's also why I didn't mention the kers in F1. At least there was some.freedom in its usage. But both series should not need those features.

[QUOTE = "Пол Джеффри, должность: 3148126, участник: 5132"]
Это вопрос, который часто приводит партнеров в паб в жаркие споры, и мы хотели бы поделиться этим с сообществом симуляторов - вашей любимой эпохой в Формуле-1!

Да, наш замечательный вид спорта прошел через множество различных этапов за свою 70-летнюю историю, благодаря прогрессу в технологиях, безопасности, профессионализме и, в конечном итоге, скорости, которые превратили формулу почти до неузнаваемости из ее первоначальных корней.

Вопрос с точки зрения сообщества RaceDepartment, какой твой любимый период в спорте?

Не стесняйтесь голосовать в опросе в верхней части этой статьи, и дайте нам знать ваши мысли в разделе комментариев ниже!

[ATTACH = полный] 360133 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = полный] 360134 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = полный] 360135 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = полный] 360136 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = полный] 360137 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = полный] 360138 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = полный] 360139 [/ ATTACH]
[/ QUOTE]

Всем привет я с Украины мне 53. Хочу сказать что самые передовыми были с 88 по 96 гонщики и механики боролись мастерством умением водить машины которые мало защищали от аварии хотя это лично моё мнение

The answer of course is the decade in which you first started watching , give or take a few years
I would bet that people tend to pick up the decade before they actually started watching F1. Just like the recurring comments on youtube about how they wished they were born in the 50s/60s/70s/and so on.
I would also be curious to see the average age of those who picked the last decade (2010-2020). I guess there are not that many teenagers among them. It takes some time and experience to tell the difference between current races and the few memories you keep from 30 years ago. ;) I remember easily watching live the fabulous duel between Arnoux and Villeneuve at Dijon in the 70's; it takes a little effort to remember that there was much less close racing back then than today.

Last edited:
My favorite decade of F1 was the 90's That is when i went to Silverstone in 1992. My first live F1 race. A young German named Michale Schumacher went out in qualifying in the rain. (Only driver to go out early in the session) There was a thick film of water that made a giant plume of spray at least 3 storeys high. And he was putting in race laps. The sound of V8,V10, V12 engines will never hit f1 again. This was also a real ground affect eara. Thogh i have read books on drivers before my time in the 50's and 60's and am amazed about what they had to deal with. Medicine and safety is such a big factor today. I cant see a official in that eara moaning about exceeding track limits or blocking that i feel takes the excitement out of the sport.

Attachments

• Mansell, Williams-Renault 03.jpg
    Mansell, Williams-Renault 03.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 87
  • Silverstone Pitlane 1992 Profille.JPG
    Silverstone Pitlane 1992 Profille.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 84
my favorite era of F1 is the 1970's which saw the introduction of slick tires, huge advancements in aerodynamics and eventually ground effects! The racing was still pure and exciting but not to mention dangerous which although sadly brought many driver deaths but on the more positive side made the sport thrilling to watch and participate in.
During the early 90's (before his death) I spoke to Deny Hulme whist at Bathurst and he told me that in his opinion the 70's was probably the most significant era in the sport.

I know i said rFactor 2 but it wont run on my PC. (I think the anti virus is blocking it) This happens a lot so i am ruining Race 07. Yes its old school but it is easy to work with. I also like the way i can put in multiple championships for F1, NASCAR and Touring cars. So its like many games in one.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back