Community Question | Who Here Uses A Dedicated 'Sim Rig'?

Mine is permanent. I built it out of gas pipe that I got at a hardware store. I got a racing seat from a auto parts store and mounted it. The seat can be moved forward and backward to accommodate taller and shorter friends who want to try it. It has a desk top that I can mount my DD1 to with some large wingnuts. I am able to remove the DD1 easily, and use the desktop with a keyboard to play other games, or just use the computer to surf the net. The pedals I have are permanently mounted, and never come off the rig. Its very comfortable to do long races in, and its very solid.

Last edited:
(more stuff = less enjoyment.
simpler = less worries)
I agree with you on this to a degree. I do prefer having a wheel/pedals/shifter for immersion, but anything beyond that seems like too much of a pain in the ass, IMO. When I plop down in my rig I want to RACE, not troubleshoot hardware.

F19CBCF6-9C21-4633-B02E-36F49872BA17.jpeg

This is my situation. I have to take the back wheels off my chair so it doesn’t move around, as I have a brake pedal mod fitted in the trusty old G27 pedals. I also had to make a contraption to stop the pedal box from tilting when braking hard, you can’t really see it from this angle. Serves me ok though. Hoping for a proper rig when I move house in the future.

View attachment 421701
This is my situation. I have to take the back wheels off my chair so it doesn’t move around, as I have a brake pedal mod fitted in the trusty old G27 pedals. I also had to make a contraption to stop the pedal box from tilting when braking hard, you can’t really see it from this angle. Serves me ok though. Hoping for a proper rig when I move house in the future.
I had that problem with my office chair when I bought the Fanatec V3 pedals. That's when I decided that I needed a rig, so that the seat can't move under braking. Consistent braking is the secret to good lap times after all.

Last edited:
Hi,
Can someone please tell me the right alu profile measures to mount the heusinkveld shifter like in the beautiful rig of the opening page of the poll ?
Thank you very much !

If the bracket used on the side to attach it is included with the shifter, then it looks like just a 40mm x 80mm piece of profile (since AFAIK @Paul Jeffrey uses a P1-X rig and their profile is in metric), the length of that profile depends on the design of your rig and your height, etc.

w3aS3si.jpg

nl2s26q.jpg

KTRRvuh.jpg

more pics here:

Your rig has always been one of my favorites of the hundreds I've seen online, mostly for the effort made to isolate your real world FOV from the rest of the room...I'm trying to find a way that will do that without leaving me hot (no A/C in my room for now). Is it me or did the rig move to a different room?

I have a wooden box .... and a cheap gamepad for simracing. (seriously) .. for rbr I use the keyboard.
I give you my review: I have never enjoyed more than with these things.
(more stuff = less enjoyment.
simpler = less worries)

I really don't get this bragging thing ...

Come on guys, let's not turn it into something like that. It's a simracing article talking specifically about what kind of setup you use. If a Ferrari drives by you on the road and you can't afford one, do you appreciate it for what it is or do you accuse them of "bragging"?

I teach high school music (guitar) and, even though I'm in a class trying to demonstrate a certain technique, there's always 1 kid that'll walk by and say in all seriousness: "stop showing off". Come on...don't be that kid, it's immature.

I agree with you on this to a degree. I do prefer having a wheel/pedals/shifter for immersion, but anything beyond that seems like too much of a pain in the ass, IMO. When I plop down in my rig I want to RACE, not troubleshoot hardware.

The point of the extra stuff is to make things more intuitive and simpler (example: starting up a specific sim by pushing 1 button on the rig itself)...I personally don't troubleshoot when I'm in my rig, I drive and have tons of fun. I've arrived home late for a race and can go from shutdown PC to online racing in under 5 minutes...nothing complicated about that. Only time I'm tinkering with stuff is when I add/upgrade something (perfectly natural) or if I choose to adjust something to make it more comfortable or easier.

Some people like to tweak their setups just like people who like working on their car(s)...nothing wrong with that.

My first simrig.

It´s build from scrap aluminium profile gifted by a friend.
Started out in January with the T300, an old recaro Sportster, 42" plasma TV and a PS4.

As you can see it developed ( escalated) quite a bit from there.

Pedalset is based on T3PA pro, with "real" clutch feel mechanism, loadcell brake and enhanced accelerator pedal with stronger spring and improved pickup for potentiometer, In the drawer are hall sensors to be fitted later.

In the moment I drive paddle shift so the clutch is removed and the brake pedal moved to the left, i´m an old fart with shod knees.
When triing to Heel´n´Toe its put back in the normal order. I just have to loosen four screws to make the change.

The buttons and encoders in the cockpit work with a Leo Bodnar board.
But i have to get in there again soon, the Amazon crimp kit for the plugs didn´t work too well.
it´s better to solder the things together.

IMG_20201122_184728047.jpg

MFG Carsten

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes