Community Question | Who Here Uses A Dedicated 'Sim Rig'?

I'm running my own, cheapskate wood design. The screens are the cheapest AOC makes in 144hz, but they do have both height and tilt adjustment, both nessecary to line them up proper. The wood cost my something like £50 + a new saw for £10. Its my first homemade rig which shows, but if I ever make another one I'll have the experience of this one to go by. The chair is an Ikea Poang bought used for £15 and modded with simple scrapwood I had laying around to make it ridig. On my wishlist is a new wheel and pedals. Not featured is my phone with Simdashboard installed, its mounted on the wheelbase in between the wheel cutout.

View attachment 421670

View attachment 421671

View attachment 421672
Very nice, I bet it's proper rigid too?

Well, my G27-wheel attached to hight-adjustable table and rolling office chair attached to the heavy table with two 500Nm strength lenght-adjustable nylon straps and G27-pedal platform locked to plastic boxes fixed to wall, I'm pretty confident with my cheap self-made setup.

Makes my 'simrig' rapid adjustable for different type of cars, right from ass-on-asphalt Karting or Marcos LM600 super-low seating position up to straight up truck racing position in a few secs.

And a few secs unmounting for work purposes.

The main reason for not going full monty on dedicated sim rig is lack of room.
I'll simply have to build an extension to my house dedicated to simracing
However, I'll not rule out that it will going to happen ;) :D

Last edited:
Screenshot_20201104-014925_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20201104-214421_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20201104-214410_Photos.jpg

Nothing too fancy for me, just a G27 on a folding frame that was cheap on ebay that gets hidden under the stairs until I can be bothered to set it up in front of the TV. Other than that (and way more often) just an Xbox controller on my laptop

Started working on a wood self build rig yesterday. Got the initial "draft" seat stand sorted but it's possibly a bit high at the moment - perhaps 50mm lower would be better.
Seat is out of a Mercedes C Class Sport - £15 off ebay and collected from only eight miles away.
It's got all the normal adjustments to the back angle, seat height and squab angle.
Even got a heating element built in...

Wheel is mounted on a desk/bench made of 39mm kitchen worktop.
Need to sort out pedal position - using Logitech G29.
Just planning on a "semi-rig" at the moment with seat and pedals - and shifter? - as one unit, with wheel and screens remaining on the desk.

Last edited:
Logitech G29 strapped to an Ironing Board onto a 40-inch TV.

Cannot recommend this setup higher as a budget sim-rig. An Ironing board is perfectly designed to have loads of space either side for a mouse, keyboard and remote controls for the TV; have space underneath for your legs to go between the legs for the pedals AND MOST IMPORTANTLY; the height of the board is minutely adjustable for any height.

My rig was in “transition mode” when I went from XBox to PC/different chassis... I did the ironing board setup and it was great! I called it the “IB-5000 chassis”.
[/QUOTE]

Dedicated set up, home made, comfortable, practicle and very, very, sturdy. Rigidity is key to proper FFB and tactile.
i will not post pictures because it looks messy, but since it is in my man cave, so no one sees it but me and I drive in VR, so even I do not see it when using it, the look is irrelevant. All that matters is how immersive while driving and I have that in spades.

I bought a Playseat Challenge and a 65-inch TV when the first lockdown started as I was placed on "garden leave" due to me falling into the risk group. The reason I bought a Playseat Challenge was mainly because I wanted a rig, but with the situation at the time there was no real chance of getting anything else - it was the only thing in stock in my country and getting anything else across borders was not going to happen anytime soon. The TV was bought because it had seriously low input latency and I wanted as wide a FOV as possible without going for triples for those sims I play without VR, plus 60FPS is fine for me on a screen.

Now my expectations were not high for what is, on first glance, a modified camping chair, but I was more than pleasantly surprised by how stable it is and how well it works. Sure there's a bit of slop forwards and backwards for the wheel attachment, but left to right it's as solid as a rock.

It's now fitted out with a TS-PC and two Buttkickers in stereo, and I'm so impressed with it that the only time I'll consider moving further is if I get a DD wheel. Even then I'm sure it would easily support a DD wheel as long as the max torque is limited to around 6 N/m, although you probably wouldn't be getting the best out of the wheel.

All in all, I'm extremely happy with it - even though before I got it I would laugh at it. And I would say to others that laugh at it: don't dismiss it, it works incredibly well.

I have a wooden box .... and a cheap gamepad for simracing. (seriously) .. for rbr I use the keyboard.
I give you my review: I have never enjoyed more than with these things.
(more stuff = less enjoyment.
simpler = less worries)

I really don't get this bragging thing ...

Here is mine, it's a work in progress, as ever.I'm thinking about buying a Fanatec DD wheel, but I'm not sure my rig is stiff enough.
Edit: it started off as a GT Omega Art cockpit, and I've already added extra braces here and there. I had a look at it today, and tried to move it here and there. Seems strong enough, so I've taken the plunge and ordered a Fanatec Podium 1 bundle. Anybody wanna buy a TM TS-PC ? :D
IMG_1963.JPG

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back