Community Question | Damage In Sim Racing - More? Less? Enough?

The ironic thing is that if damage were realistic, probably that guy would have not continued his race. So, probably, with more realistic damage, he would think twice before send someone agaist a wall.

More damage = more fun
That is largely idealized. You can bang doors or lean on a car in a curve like the last turn at Zandvoort for example, send the other guy in the wall and get away with it with no significant aero damage - and the whole thing is true to life.

With cars that are not heavily depending on aero it is not a big deal. In real endurance races (several hours) it is part of the game and there is plenty of time to repair. In a 45 minutes or one hour race with GT3s or similar cars this just kills the fun for me.

And I'm not even implying that the guy who sends the other in the wall is automatically a nasty fellow. He can be in heat of the battle or not fully control his car or even just consider that the other has to make room because he left the door open. This is not a real life situation where both drivers know shunts are painful.

Last edited:
It's a fine line. Make it too realistic and many people will loose interest fast which would than reflect on sales figures and developement of new games.
But I agree, If you hit a wall at 200 it should be game over. I'd like for more technical failures or problems you'd discover during the race that you have to deal with. I played GTR2 mostly and all I can remember from years of racing are three brake failures, two apearing in the same race. Not once did I blew an engine other than in a crash. I know there is an option to scale the damage but I never got it to work in a way I felt was realistic.
I remember having blown my engine a few times in GTR2, but I don't remember having expérienced any brake failure. Maybe a question of driving style :D Contacts had an impact on aerodynamics. That's why the AI got slower and slower in long races (not because of the tires) when running at full damage simulation. Pcars2 uses this feature too (I experienced it in Nascar where a few light contacts ruined my aero).

The more realistic and the more customisation to suit all tastes, the better is the sim.

Depends on the car, losing your front wing on an open wheeler, making the car undriveable sucks. On Gt cars, where the car is more damage resistance, realistic damage is more appreciated.

I don't really care for the absolute most realistic damage models but at least an amount of physical and visual damage in a sim mode would be ok. Although I do think seeing parts fly everywhere after a high speed collision is cool, having it affect my race negatively to where I have to restart the entire thing is frustrating when I'm almost to the end of a race

I wish there was more engine and naturally occurring damage. OK If I hit something its usually trashed, but engines just never seem to have issues like they do in real life, or even tire damage because of constant lockups.
Or AI issues as well, I rarely see a car blow its engine or worse have a fire or tire blowout.

In a perfect (virtual) world I would answer yes, but is the present state, no.
Damage, as it is, is just fine.
When we have better AI, when we have realistic racing online simulation with cost, pace cars, career, etc..., then yes, we will need more realistic damage, until then their is a lot more important issues to tackle.

I was going to ramble on for a few pages, but others said it more efficiently than I ever could.

To me, more realistic damage would cause the players to think twice about risky maneuvers. And that would be a good thing.

I choose for a yes! But as mentioned above a randomised failure what ends in a DNF is not that cool. It also reminds me to play wreckfest again. Sometimes damage is fun!!!

I think its very very important, and, most sims except iRacing with the New damage model neglect this...above all the end feeling of masses clashing masses, would love to see less pinball effect. Doesnt need to be a huge overhaul in visual terms like iRacing is doing but the way collisions happen ( When netcode doesnt screw up ) should have better calculations for the end result ... also, seems to me that some games do not convey quite well the extension of damage you should really have after a collision...

There is so much room for improvements and it gives tons of immersion back, so it is no-brainer.
Starting with suspension that should at least brake on single seaters, moving to engine mis-use and aero damage. Going off-road should be more dramatic in general (traction, sand-traps, etc)

Hi racers .o/

The best day ever will be when rF2, AMS2, ACC... will be able to integrate the BeamNG engin for damages, but keeping the actual physics for driving !!

Maybe then, we will talk about an ultimate simulator :D

Cheers,
Donnie

The question is too vague... Are we talking about visual damage or driving impacted damage? First of all, it's not a damage simulator... let's not waste precious engineer hours on that stuff. Focus on FFB/Physics/Visual/Sounds and racing related matters.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back