Community Question | Best Racing Game of All Time?

For me it's GTR2, solid base made so much better with all the mods (although sifting the bad from the good could be a pain), I spent ages tweaking Ai files to make countless mod tracks perfect challenges for me, and I can't forget the first time I blew up the engine in my favourite Lambo with a dodgy downshift, also can't forget ogling the back end of a F550 as I followed it rather than overtake. I dread to think what the tally of my hours were in that game, thousands upon thousands!!

Honourable mentions:
Sports Car GT was the first game I played with a wheel (early logitech) and was awesome, a real step up from using a joystick in the Geoff Crammond games and the point I realised tin tops were better and more fun than open wheelers!

GP500 by Microprose, brilliant bike sim.

GT3, perfect blend of awesome visuals and physics (PC games were visually not as good as console games, thank god that gap has been closed)

• Deleted member 13397

1. revs
2. race07
3. gtr2
4. toca
5. juiced
6. nfs u

and now burn me

Grand Prix Legends,it was masssssive back in the day,the whole community raced it pretty much exclusively.
Vroc was awesome,I started in simracing at the age of 34 which was my age back then 2000.

I miss those days,everyone used the same wheels,there was a great community spirit and not a class based snobbery like today,it was a gentlemen’s sport back then.

Logi red momos or microsoft ffb wheels were used back then,no one cared about the status symbol of having an expensive setup,people just got on with racing.

GPL had ground breaking physics also the first sim to have the full Nordscleiffe track,the first to really gain from modding,the modding craze started from this sim.

Vroc,the first proper racing lobby.

Great humble and fun days.

I haven’t had the same thrill since that sim because pretty much the whole community played it,now the community is spread over many sims.

I forgot all about my lightbulb sim moment where I fell in love with the genre,Indy 500 by Papryrus on the Commodore Amiga.

The first time I witnessed damage in a sim,I used a mouse to control the cars,it also had sound for ea h car,omg,sound for each car.

Loved Geoff Crammond’s F1gp on the Amiga,that was the revolutionary title for the f1 series,I used a digital joystick for that game,I absolutely loved it.

Another sim which I was hopeless at but was revolutionary for me was Netkar Namie,when I tried that sim,the connection between the cars wheels and the track was a revolution for mine,no sim had that feeling,then Netkar Pro,where you had to press buttons to properly start up the car,the beautiful cockpits but it was the feel of the cars and the tyre conne tion to the tarmac that blew me away.

I’m putting GPL as number one.

Also forgot Nascar Racing 2003 ,this sim was fantastic also,the adrenaline of being in the middle of a pack of cars and trying to skip your way through,one car at a time through slipstreaming was tremendous,also the tutorials in that sim which went through all the rules of Nascar,the animated pit crews,fantastic but that sim had fantastic physics as well and still stands up today with proper tweaking.

My vote though goes to GPL,probably due more to what the GPL community made it with all the mods.

We needed a poll for that. Anyway these are my choices:
Arcade: Grid (2019) and Forza Horizon 4
Simcade: Project Cars 2
Sim: Assetto Corsa

We're in a true golden age right now, blessed with so many great sims.

Despite wanting to put the moniker on any one of them, never have I been blown away more than when I first saw an import copy of Gran Turismo running at the start of 1998. When the game launched it just delivered on everything, the structure, the cars, the soundtrack, the graphics.

Total game changing product.

We're in a true golden age right now, blessed with so many great sims.

Despite wanting to put the moniker on any one of them, never have I been blown away more than when I first saw an import copy of Gran Turismo running at the start of 1998. When the game launched it just delivered on everything, the structure, the cars, the soundtrack, the graphics.

Total game changing product.

True,it revolutionised presentation also,that game revolutionised the replay mode,noone was doing amazing cinematic replay style camera work until Gran Turismo came along.

Honestly ? Assetto Corsa.
It's the perfect mix between realism, visuals, vehicles, tracks, features, community and infinite content provided by mods.
I think only an Assetto Corsa 2 could top that

Edit : That being said, I'll remember forever my first racing game : Gran Turismo PSP / Gran Turismo 4 (got them both at the same time)

Last edited:
I still have very fond memories to my very first racing game I got as a little kid:
Johnny Herbert's Grand Prix Championship 1998

As a sim racer I would choose GTR2 due to its immersion to have a full 24h race, day/night transition, rain, multiclass racing and based on an actual real championship (containing ALL cars and tracks). Not many racing Sims/games have that nowadays. ACC might come close to that, but I can't judge as my pc can't run the game and I therefore haven't played it yet.

Another seminal moment was the sports car mod for F1 Challenge,revolutionised the sports car gt era of racing where before it was mostly open wheel or Nascar.

In 1991 I would have said F1GP by Microprose.
Man how I loved that game. Had it on my Amiga 500 first and later on a PC and I couldn't believe just how incredible 25fps looked. Almost lifelike!

I also loved Indianapolis 500 by Papyrus and played it mostly for the crashes ("Just look at all that debris!").

And now we have 2020 and I'm enjoying AC, Iracing, AMS2, Raceroom most of the time.
I just cannot pick one sim and declare it as the best there ever was.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • More leagues

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Prizes

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Trophies

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 3 5.7%