Community Question | Best Racing Game of All Time?

Grand prix legends was amazing when it came out and I played it for quite a long time as well. Back in the day it was so far ahead of the competition and with mods it just kept improving as years went by. The physics was what made it special and I still remember to this day being frustrated with the other games of that era where the tires had massive grip loss once you had one degree too much oversteer. Car is fine but then add 1 degree more slip and suddenly it is impossible to recover. Couldn't do a burnout either. Drove me mad to be honest and almost gave up on simracing. Gpl had that too but that angle was much higher and the game allowed you to really go sideways through the corners and most of the time if it got enough sideways it was already colliding with trees before you could even try to straighten it out.

I still remember being totally in love with sportscars back then but I just could not drive the sportscar gt and the gt mod based on the f1 game for that reason. Skipped the gtr games for that reason as well. Nascar 2k3 was pretty decent and the group c car mod wwas great but I'm not really into group c cars so it didn't really amaze me. Too much tire and downforce and not enough power... But gpl was so good and it also made me fan of vintage f1 cars. Not the cars I really enjoy driving in sims per se but love the era and the cars themselves. And gpl had so many tracks so it was always fresh.

Only other game that did something equally great was the original gran turismo. The physics were very fun for the time. Of course it wasn't a sim and when I say fun I mean good for a console game played on a pad. But it was one of the first and few racing games that did not just make up everything but at least tried to be somewhat believable. The car collecting and the car upgrades were great and even if getting new cars was slow I did prefer the slower and more tedious way of earning the cars as I played. No multibillion cars as rewards for winning your first race although at the same time I'd not want to go through that gt1 grind again. But back in 1998 it wasn't a grind. It was amazing.

The another reason why I picked these two games was not just the games themselves but the way these games were clearly the number one best things in their day. If I pick something like assetto or live for speed you could always argue that some other is better in some way. But back in the day I don't think there was anything out there that could compete with gpl and gt.

AHEM...

-Unique F1 SIMULATOR !!:confused:
-four F1 SEASONS !!!:rolleyes:
-dynamic climate !!!!;)
-INTERMINABLE MODS :thumbsup:
- tobacco sponsors (mods):D
-v10 sound (even more upgradeable with mods) !!!! x1000
-golden era of f1, iconic names:cool:

17 years later it is still enjoyed like the first day ...:cry::cool:
the only one, the matchless, the king:

F1 Challenge 99-02
INTRO
SOUNDTRACK
GAMEPLAY

leave the arcade for Geoff Crying:whistling:

(others that are ALMOST ALMOST at the height of f1c is GTR2 .... very few games have in a single package ALL the characteristics of gtr2 :confused: only recently acc and pc2 ... but without mods)

Cuz it was my first racing game....
Digital_Derby_Auto_Raceway_by_Tomy,_Model_No._7034,_Takes_2_'C'_Batteries,_Made_in_Japan,_Copy...jpg

Offline multiplayer, without a doubt, the series by Geoff Crammond, Grand Prix 1, 2, 3, 4, which played with emu brothers and some friends here at home, in very disputed races, analyzing one by one, when each driver had his turn of driving, a pity that no other game added this "game mode", F1 Challenge 99-02, GTR2 (basic version, and then its numerous mods, which I still play regularly), Race 07, for the same reason. Rfactor, Assetto Corsa, Rfactor 2 ... all that "modders" can present us with countless categories and tracks from the most diverse parts of the world. Now playing also Assetto Competizione, Dirt Rally 2, pCars 2 .... But my "Number One", and the series By Geoff Crammond.

I believe that AC is currently the best sim of all time as it covers all the realms of motorsports for me. I do however have a deep spot in my heart reserved for Forza Motorsport 4. Not a sim, I know, but that title is what really got me into sim racing some many years ago. I bought my first wheel because of that game, came in contact with my racing club (2old4Forza) because of that game, and it was ultimately that game that brought me into the PC world. FM4 is regarded by many to be the last good FM title, and quite possibly the best racing title ever made for console. FM4, yeah good memories with that one...

First off, just want to say I am amazed at the number of people saying Race 07! Loved that sim, and it was the first to get me into the genre. However, that was over a decade ago, and now that I have matured and experienced a plethora of other titles and series, I would have to say it is a toss up between GTR2 and Assetto Corsa.

The modding community plays a big role in deciding things like this, in my opinion. For example ACC and Project Cars 2 are fun, I am disappointed I can't mod them like GTR2 and the original AC.

This is all subjective, and of course I am leaning to modern titles. "Unfortunately", ACC kind of ruined other sims for me. I get that AC is still more popular, with modding support and all that (still my go-to F1 and street car sim), which I try to stay up to date with, but that nuanced level of detail from ACC is missing so much. And I love details and they make me immersed.

Same here I started competing in the time trials seriously and earned all of the unicorn cars which were hard to get! Loved that game. Also the first time I considered a wheel and started looking into pc sims.

Before that though, Sprint and Rad Racer for the NES and then Gran Turismo 2 PS1.

I believe that AC is currently the best sim of all time as it covers all the realms of motorsports for me. I do however have a deep spot in my heart reserved for Forza Motorsport 4. Not a sim, I know, but that title is what really got me into sim racing some many years ago. I bought my first wheel because of that game, came in contact with my racing club (2old4Forza) because of that game, and it was ultimately that game that brought me into the PC world. FM4 is regarded by many to be the last good FM title, and quite possibly the best racing title ever made for console. FM4, yeah good memories with that one...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back