Caterham Academy 2020

Cars Caterham Academy 2020 1.5

Login or Register an account to download this content
Hi ben i should have posted here instead and i apologize for that, well if theres lods and they are working why is it so much heavier on the cpu compared to official content ? am asking legitimely, not beeing sarcastic ! because theres a series of mods that i really enjoy but only a few of them come near Official Kunos content in terms of performance, 20 cars and the MAIN_T shoots imediatelly to 93% , if i add 23 ( example ) audi TT VLNs for example hovers around 70%

PS : i also see mods where all the lods have the almost the same complexity ence rendering them almost useless.

Last edited:
Hi ben i should have posted here instead and i apologize for that, well if theres lods and they are working why is it so much heavier on the cpu compared to official content ? am asking legitimely, not beeing sarcastic ! because theres a series of mods that i really enjoy but only a few of them come near Official Kunos content in terms of performance, 20 cars and the MAIN_T shoots imediatelly to 93% , if i add 23 ( example ) audi TT VLNs for example hovers around 70%
no worries ^^
i've done that mod long time ago, and didn't know much about anything AC friendly or not
and the issue here has been noticed by others too, even though it's better than before, is the "number of objects" compared to regular content

and since i don't have these max files anymore... i won't update it more :(
today's update for example was made using Content Manager..

Yes , its a pitty , but youre cat mods are amazing, and its really rare to see a mod optimized, most of the more downloaded ones are really pushing it some of them look not so good as yours does and while yours has moving suspensiona and probably way more detail it suffers from that. But alof of other mods like SEATS,Ginettas etc... that are so praised fail on this department and dont look even remotely as good as official content.

Image attached for reference...quick example on my laptop since at work :) 1.5 million triangles more on that scene ... used the praga to compare since it has moving suspension too

PS: Thank you so much for the mod nevertheless :) superb work

Attachments

• example.png
    example.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 94
Hey Ben, thank you for the update. Still one of the best mod here (well, all your 'cats' are special, eheh sorry!).
Just a trivial thing: in LHD version, INVERT_SHIFTING_HANDS from driver3d.ini is set to 1 (like the RHD) instead of 0, resulting in no shift animation.
Easily solvable via CM, for those who need it.

Hi Ben.
I just noticed a tiny hiccup that I don't remember noticing before the latest update. My right side wing mirror view is divided ~ 2/3 of the way across. The outside portion is kinda reversed or something? It happens on LHD and RHD cars and using both CM and default launcher. I tried reinstalling from scratch, but no luck. I'm guessing it's at my end but I'm scuppered. :(
Any ideas?

Hi Ben.
I just noticed a tiny hiccup that I don't remember noticing before the latest update. My right side wing mirror view is divided ~ 2/3 of the way across. The outside portion is kinda reversed or something? It happens on LHD and RHD cars and using both CM and default launcher. I tried reinstalling from scratch, but no luck. I'm guessing it's at my end but I'm scuppered. :(
Any ideas?
Hm. I'll check tomorrow.
There's the 'smart mirrors' option with CSP that makes dynamic reflection of the mirrors. That could maybe help?

Hm. I'll check tomorrow.
There's the 'smart mirrors' option with CSP that makes dynamic reflection of the mirrors. That could maybe help?
Yep, I have no idea why, but if I uncheck "Normalise UV Mapping" the problem goes away.
Thank you so much.
Just as an aside, we will be running the Academy for an RD club event on Monday 1st June.
Cheers. :)

Yep, I have no idea why, but if I uncheck "Normalise UV Mapping" the problem goes away.
Thank you so much.
Just as an aside, we will be running the Academy for an RD club event on Monday 1st June.
Cheers. :)
As Columbo always says, "There was just one more thing..." Does the skin pack work with this update? I have a feeling you'll tell me to suck it and see, but I thought I'd make a fool of myself whilst I'm here. Why change the habit of a lifetime? ;)

As Columbo always says, "There was just one more thing..." Does the skin pack work with this update? I have a feeling you'll tell me to suck it and see, but I thought I'd make a fool of myself whilst I'm here. Why change the habit of a lifetime? ;)
ok late rather than... never xD

i tried and noticed nothing wrong ? :(

see attached with "smart mirror" on/off
the normalize on/off doesn't seem to do much on mine either
and the skin pack shouldn't do any difference, it doesn't affect the car itself

now you can still access the previous download version if this one was working better
i have zero idea what's up
maybe editing the textures using CM is breaking other things?

Attachments

• 20200525193155_1.jpg
    20200525193155_1.jpg
    617.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 20200525192943_1.jpg
    20200525192943_1.jpg
    582 KB · Views: 82
ok late rather than... never xD

i tried and noticed nothing wrong ? :(

see attached with "smart mirror" on/off
the normalize on/off doesn't seem to do much on mine either
and the skin pack shouldn't do any difference, it doesn't affect the car itself

now you can still access the previous download version if this one was working better
i have zero idea what's up
maybe editing the textures using CM is breaking other things?
I fixed it - thanks to you Ben. See post # :thumbsup: 148.

I also found the updated skinpack, so I've sorted that now too. I think I'm goine senile. :confused:

The normalize uv maps for mirrors was broken in some previous csp versions and was later fixed, it might have been that. :)

I've noticed a strange interior (only works on cockpit cam) blue light being cast near dashboards with lights on at night on all Caterhams I have installed atm (Academy/RHD 1700SS/clam/RHD 165), which is also reflected on windshields; it seems to be created by auto-guessing as [LIGHT_EXTRA_0], so adding it to the config with COLOR=0,0,0 gets rid of it :cautious:.
Screenshot_bo_caterham_academy_rhd_okayama_11-6-120-22-51-22.jpgScreenshot_bo_caterham_academy_rhd_okayama_11-6-120-22-51-27.jpg

There's something I'd like to suggest for this and other Caterhams, that would be to just set the autoclutch's UPSHIFT_PROFILE = NONE instead of the current profile, for smoother/quicker upshifts when on buttons/paddles and avoid the current clutch slip (it would cause no damage). It's usually set that way (as none) on ks content and most mods with H shifters, like your Singers. Nvm if I'm completely missing the purpose of the current state, as p.e, to induce a small upshift "penalty" for users on paddles, aligning them to H shifter users; edit: but it could still be smoothed out a bit.

If not mentioned before, the RHD Academy has wipers (+dirt screen texture) on the wrong side. But as they aren't functional like in the 1700SS, it's no big deal.

Not on this mod, but for the 165 and 1700SS's: some skins have a small plates.dds or plates165.dds file for cars without plates which is a small square to alpha out the plates. On this file the alpha is a dark grey instead of pure black, so alpha-dithering will show (this can also be affected by msaa settings) on external views ingame. Setting its alpha channel to pure black will get rid of the floating dithering.
Screenshot_bo_caterham_165_rhd_okayama_11-6-120-20-54-39.jpgScreenshot_bo_caterham_165_rhd_okayama_11-6-120-22-55-2.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:
The normalize uv maps for mirrors was broken in some previous csp versions and was later fixed, it might have been that. :)

I've noticed a strange interior (only works on cockpit cam) blue light being cast near dashboards with lights on at night on all Caterhams I have installed atm (Academy/RHD 1700SS/clam/RHD 165), which is also reflected on windshields; it seems to be created by auto-guessing as [LIGHT_EXTRA_0], so adding it to the config with COLOR=0,0,0 gets rid of it :cautious:.
View attachment 381058View attachment 381057

There's something I'd like to suggest for this and other Caterhams, that would be to just set the autoclutch's UPSHIFT_PROFILE = NONE instead of the current profile, for smoother/quicker upshifts when on buttons/paddles and avoid the current clutch slip (it would cause no damage). It's usually set that way (as none) on ks content and most mods with H shifters, like your Singers. Nvm if I'm completely missing the purpose of the current state, as p.e, to induce a small upshift "penalty" for users on paddles, aligning them to H shifter users.

If not mentioned before, the RHD Academy has wipers (+dirt screen texture) on the wrong side. But as they aren't functional like in the 1700SS, it's no big deal.

Not on this mod, but for the 165 and 1700SS's: some skins have a small plates.dds or plates165.dds file for cars without plates which is a small square to alpha out the plates. On this file the alpha is a dark grey instead of pure black, so alpha-dithering will show (this can also be affected by msaa settings) on external views ingame. Setting its alpha channel to pure black will get rid of the floating dithering.
View attachment 381054View attachment 381066

Cheers
cheers for the summary :)
i noticed the license plate recently and talked to Ilja about it
that's the thing with constant updates from CSP, we modders can't keep up our old mods!

i left the plates.dds to have choice to show or not whether the alpha was black or not
so the alpha should already be pure black in the case of invisible plate

I noticed recently my wipers were messed up yes aha
i only made an animation back then on the RHD, and never finished the LHD

And among other news, i won't be doing the LHD anymore. It's too much work to have all cars both sides.
I'm currently (re)doing 5 cars from the official motorsport series : Academy, Roadsport, 270r, 310r and 420r. So i sure don't want to double that with LHD !
They will all be RHD :)

As for autoclutch, it's noted, it's within the data.acd isn't it ? I won't update the existing ones tho. (1700 and all)
Each update is a chance to mess up something, even more when it's been a long time! :p
Regarding that blue light, if you send me what you wrote exactly, i can update the online file for the extension for CSP

For the license plates thing showing dither floating without a 100% black alpha, that's something not really related to CSP. You'll also see it on vanilla, even if it'll depend on MSAA + pp aa settings. It doesn't show on the "CM Showroom" because it treats alpha dithering for _AT shaders in a different way than ingame for vanilla ac/ac+csp/showroom.exe.
Bellow is the rhd 1700ss in the original showroom.exe that is in no way affected by CSP, and you'll see the glitch too due to the alpha channel in dark grey:
Showroom_bo_caterham_s7_1700_ss_rhd_12-5-2020-16-54-55.jpgalpha.jpg

It'll happen with shaders using AT as long as the alpha channel is using a gray value (and that's expected, then there will be N dittering levels of transparency between 0-255 that depend on MSAA Nx settings). The very small 144bytes file you've included on cars without plates on front+rear (like the plates165.dds on the previous post and plates.dds in the screen above) causes that dithering because its alpha channel is at 29,29,29 RGB/92%K, not pure black as intended. On the second screen bellow not showing the glitch, I had plates.dds changed to 0,0,0 RGB/100%K alpha so transparency isn't interpolated anymore.
Showroom_bo_caterham_s7_1700_ss_rhd_12-5-2020-16-59-47.jpg

For the Academy wipers, I was just pointing that on the Academy RHD the (non-functional) wipers were resting on the wrong side. They are currently in the same position as on the LHD, which has them correct for a left driver. If you could turn them on, they'd stop the mid-swipe nearer the driver's face for the RHD. Other models like the 165 rhd and 1700ss rhd (which have a functional wipers animation) have them in the expected position:
rhd_165.jpgrhd_ss.jpgrhd_academy.jpg
1) rhd 165 ok 2) rhd 1700ss ok 3) rhd academy with wipers on wrong side
Anyway, this will only be a problem if you end up animating them. ATM it's just a tiny visual inconsistency.

The move to RHD-only seems is welcome, less details to worry about like the one above. Specially if it gives you more time to work on models with different engines :).

For the blue light, it's just adding to the config:
Code:
[LIGHT_EXTRA_0]
COLOR=0,0,0
I've only tested it on the 1700ss rhd/1700ss clamshell/165 rhd/academy rhd, and got rid of it. You might check on other cars, or if the issue does even affect you at all.
I have no idea why the autoguessing is creating that interior only light_extra_0, so the above will just take off its color.

Yes, for the autoclutch thing, that's on \data\drivetrain.ini. I guess that would be for JackCY if he comes across this post. :)

(edit: Sorry for the username confusion)

Edit2: The 420R Race Car doesn't suffer the auto-clutch slip thing when shifting even if it has a profile assigned to it, but has a much lower time on clutch in comparison to the other cars. It seems also free from the blue light.

Last edited:
Ben O'Bro updated Caterham Academy 2020 with a new update entry:

3D model 1.5

A partly remade version of the model, mostly optimized for i hope better performance. (less objects, better LODs, some materials improved etc.)

Thanks to the few beta testers ;)

Physics are the same than before.
There might be some tweaks to make it 2.0 but otherwise it's 99% final and approved by several real life Academy racers :)

LHD is LOST in translation i'm afraid. Due to, too much work for not much.
But... it's a new car folder, you may remove the old one. Or...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back