Camtool 2 extension: perf fix and more features

Apps Camtool 2 extension: perf fix and more features 2.2.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
Hm ok I think I understand! What you want is basically a FX key to switch to camtool like any other cam (F1, ...) So we could try to assign camtool to a F key (or any key we want actually). When we press this key, camtool becomes active, and when we press another cam key, camtool becomes inactive.

Am I right ?
Yes! I reckon that would be the perfect solution :)

Also like you mentioned, if there was a way to switch between camera configs, or make CamTool use more than one config at once, it would definitely add more variety.

this could be of huge help : if you use patreon csp it has now live reloading for python apps:
View attachment 515920
Yes i have it! So useful to reload the app without having to restart everything!

@Please Stop This do you thing you could do branches and pull requests for the code you gave? I could show you how it works if needed. It would be so much easier to work together on the code with git instead of a forum thread :)

For some the code you gave, ctt is actually the instance of the class CamToolTool which already calls ac_ext functions for replay and stuff. If you open CamToolTool.py you will see that I have commented some ac.ext calls. I didn't manage to make them work so I reverted the code to the original one. If we could make it works, this would be more fps gain. For the code about key press, what you gave seems ok though.

Hi.
So far, amazing performance gain. I've been testing replays on different conditions and it is pretty stable.

However I've noticed an issue with the tracking. This is more pronounced in "drone" shots close to the car, moving at high speed. In testing I disabled the tracking offset (0) and used the tracking at 100% and the problem persisted. Then, I tried with 0% tracking, just by animating the camera and there were no issues; so the problem is not related to camera position (x,y,z) but to camera orientation. Perhaps something related to interpolation?
Anyway, great work so far. :thumbsup:

I tried demonstrating what I mean here

Hi.
So far, amazing performance gain. I've been testing replays on different conditions and it is pretty stable.

However I've noticed an issue with the tracking. This is more pronounced in "drone" shots close to the car, moving at high speed. In testing I disabled the tracking offset (0) and used the tracking at 100% and the problem persisted. Then, I tried with 0% tracking, just by animating the camera and there were no issues; so the problem is not related to camera position (x,y,z) but to camera orientation. Perhaps something related to interpolation?
Anyway, great work so far. :thumbsup:

I tried demonstrating what I mean here
Thanks for this very useful testing!
It's gonna be hard for me to fix this alone. Is there a way I can reproduce quickly? Can you send me the camtool config used and the circuit? I think I got the car already ;)

Do you know a bit about coding? Maybe you can try commenting the new code on CamToolTool.py and uncomment the old one which is still here to find out where the problem is.

Are you sure this does not happen with the original camtool app?

Yes! I reckon that would be the perfect solution :)

Also like you mentioned, if there was a way to switch between camera configs, or make CamTool use more than one config at once, it would definitely add more variety.
I managed to do it. I have assigned the F10 key to camtool. It doesn't seem used.
And if I press F1, F2, F3, F5, F6 or F7 camtool gets disabled.

What do you think? Is the F10 key free for assetto corsa? Do I miss other FX keys for cam ?

I am thinking also of a config file which would save some preferences, for example to save the last used file for a track (so it gets automatically loaded), an option to randomly switch between available configs, etc

Last edited:
I managed to do it. I have assigned the F10 key to camtool. It doesn't seem used.
And if I press F1, F2, F3, F5, F6 or F7 camtool gets disabled.

What do you think? Is the F10 key free for assetto corsa? Do I miss other FX keys for cam ?

I am thinking also of a config file which would save some preferences, for example to save the last used file for a track (so it gets automatically loaded), an option to randomly switch between available configs, etc
You're the man dude! As far as I know there isn't anything that's assigned to it so it should be fine.

Also the thing with configs also sounds like a very comfy addition. Would love to try these things out!

This is a new version : https://github.com/tmeedend/camtool/archive/refs/heads/develop.zip
- It contains the feature to switch to camtool with F10
- it also contains a lot of code rewrites so that the code can be easier to understand and to maintain.

I don't want to release on RD for the moment because there is a lot of changes. If anyone could test a bit to confirm that all is ok that would be great!

Thanks

So far the feature works great! I just tested it out this morning and it's exactly what I wished for. Great job!

I was wondering, sometimes when the camera jumps between drivers, or even when you're switching from a normal cam to camtool one, there's this weird movement. The camera seems to not point directly at the car immediately, but it starts somewhere off and then it rapidly chases the position it should be on. I don't know how much can be done here, maybe that's just the way this app works, but I thought it's worth mentioning. Nonetheless, big kudos to you for making this app work so much better!

Thanks for the tests that's good news.

About switching between confs with a shortcut, I think this can be done for example with Ctrl+1,2 etc.

I see what you mean about the first camtool activation. I think it's because it's interpolating always. I'm going to check if we can disable interpolating the first frame after activation.

Last edited:
@ktulu77 Please note that CSP provides an extension API for doing a few things not provided by the default AC API.

Of note would be the ability to set a specific "Drivable" camera:
ac.ext_setCurrentDrivableCamera(driveCam)

Cheers,

Dave\Esotic
I tried to replace my calls by these ones but the behavior is incomprehensible and there is no documentation :(

ktulu77 updated Camtool 2 extension: perf fix and more features with a new update entry:

camtool hotkey + code cleanup and optimizations

New Features :
  • Now you can press F10 to enable camtool
  • Pressing another F key to switch to another cam will disable camtool and switch to the requested cam
Fixes and optimizations:
  • disable camtool calculations when the new specific cam option is active
  • don't apply a texture to a button if the requested texture is already applied to it
  • lot of code refactoring for better understanding:
    • use local variables in functions instead of...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Not sure why but when I install the 0.6 files, camtool won't show in the game. It shows enabled and everything in Content Manager, but just won't show up in the list of apps in game. I copied the 0.5 updated in overwriting files and now it shows up fine. Just thought I'd pass it on. For me anyway, 0.6 seems to disable the app somehow.

Not sure why but when I install the 0.6 files, camtool won't show in the game. It shows enabled and everything in Content Manager, but just won't show up in the list of apps in game. I copied the 0.5 updated in overwriting files and now it shows up fine. Just thought I'd pass it on. For me anyway, 0.6 seems to disable the app somehow.
Strange. I have just retried from RaceDepartment zip and it works fine for me. Can you try opening the "python debug app" app and see if you have some errors on the tab "python log" ?

Edit: it seems that after unziping, something is deleting the new "ui" folder. I don't know why, maybe content manager using some cache or something. Unzip again and it should be fixed.

Last edited:
I have the same issue...

I have made a new version where we can switch between camtool data files of the track there : https://github.com/tmeedend/camtool/archive/refs/heads/develop.zip
You can switch to the 5 first camtool data files by pressing y,u,i,o or p. I didn't succeeded to use the numpad keys :(
The app is also loading the first data file it finds.
I wonder where we can explain all these hotkeys. I don't know how to make tooltips, it doesn't seem possible with assetto functions :(

Did you see my last post about this? Do you have the "ui" folder near the "classes" one inside the camtool folder?
You can try renaming your old camtool folder and downloading the whole new app from there : https://github.com/tmeedend/camtool/archive/refs/heads/main.zip it could help.
Yes, I see the message above, and yes, I have the ui folder, but it doesn't work. I have tried the new version too, but I have the same issue. The only way to let it work is downgrade to 0.5 version.

Last edited:
Yes, I see the message above, and yes, I have the ui folder, but it doesn't work. I have tried the new version too, but I have the same issue. The only way to let it work is downgrade to 0.5 version.
If the app is detected but doesn't show up, there must be some errors showing up in the python debug app. Can you try opening the "python debug app" app ingame and see if you have some errors on the tab "python log" please?

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.