AC Calibra DTM @ Mosport Park - Weds 29th April 2020

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Thanks @Medilloni for hosting and congrats to the podiums. It was a fun but very demanding combo for me. This track keeps you on your toes the whole lap :thumbsup: And also thanks for the great (Austrian themed) skin. I just assume it was you who assigned it to me ;)

Both races were full of action for me. Even if I was just running somewhere in midfield, I always had those fast guys around me especially @pattikins . You gave me a hard time but I really enjoyed racing against you. Why were you so slow at the straight in R1? Without the top speed advantage, I would have had no chance against you.

And please @pretend racer Jason would you just click that little box for me? This is totally unrelated to your incredible lap times :whistling:
Picture1.png

Great fun tonight guys which is the most important thing. The new guys are getting too fast too quick.

No worries Scott I wasn't sure myself and wasn't in the race after an early spin so I waited. Better safe than sorry!

Sorry Aki to clip you in race 2. Great driving to get into the top 10 from where we were.

And great racing in race 1 Neil. You made the arse of that Calibra so big. Lots of close quarters stuff and never touched. Excellent.

And thanks John. Super combo. Was knackered after race 1. Let alone 2.

@HTIDRaver2k8

I really enjoyed your video.:thumbsup: I just loved the ironic banter attached to a some what ironic race.
For me was an insight to the phycology of racing, what happens to you can be mirrored in my racing , trying too hard, mind wandering, getting nervous under pressure, making mistakes that capitalise on the back of that.
I do not chit chat while racing, I tend to grunt and hold my breath for ages, why is beyond my understanding.:(
Most of us race in isolation, most of the videos I watch are choreographed to make it look perfect, rarely with as it happens banter.
I have abandoned my in race performance delta for most circuits, for the very reason you said in the end of race 2.
Watched every minute of both races, learnt a lot.
Cheers
Ernie. :)

@HTIDRaver2k8

I really enjoyed your video.:thumbsup: I just loved the ironic banter attached to a some what ironic race.
For me was an insight to the phycology of racing, what happens to you can be mirrored in my racing , trying too hard, mind wandering, getting nervous under pressure, making mistakes that capitalise on the back of that.
I do not chit chat while racing, I tend to grunt and hold my breath for ages, why is beyond my understanding.:(
Most of us race in isolation, most of the videos I watch are choreographed to make it look perfect, rarely with as it happens banter.
I have abandoned my in race performance delta for most circuits, for the very reason you said in the end of race 2.
Watched every minute of both races, learnt a lot.
Cheers
Ernie. :)
Totally agree, I only saw bits of R1 but yeh, great vid.
The rear view mirror is very revealing. Guys catching but not able to make the pass. Then the guy behind suddenly has his mirrors full. Very difficult car to control. That makes it's so difficult to stay on track when driving less than a second behind, with mirrors full of a quick driver who's is both pushing hard and waiting to pick up the pieces of any mistake.
Once again, great combo which made for some heart in the mouth moments. Love it. :)

Both races were full of action for me. Even if I was just running somewhere in midfield, I always had those fast guys around me especially @pattikins . You gave me a hard time but I really enjoyed racing against you. Why were you so slow at the straight in R1? Without the top speed advantage, I would have had no chance against you.

My framerates were in the 60s, instead of an ideal 90fps (VR), so I had to be cautious in the corners, especially Moss corner. I didn't run the engine limiter @ 105, so maybe that also had something to do with it. It was certainly hard to get past you. I suspect that's why John let me through in the second race without a fight - it's the type of tactic I often employ with the hope that both drivers take each other out, or create a space for me to exploit.:sneaky::whistling: Gentleman John or crafty John, I'll let you decide.:p:laugh:

Aki @Aksu, on Teamspeak you said that I was at fault for the incident in the first race. Normally I'd be the first to hold my hands up, but I can't see what I did to cause the crash. I know that you're a lot more experienced (& faster) in sim racing than I am, so can you have a look at the crash from my perspective, both inside & outside the car, and explain to me where I went wrong.

For anyone that wants a setup, please find attached - obviously not the fastest (not in my hands! lol) and as always it's down to style 'n preferences!

File name is 'cos it came from a previous Donnington setup btw. It's on hard tyres, haven't tried it with any others yet. Hope it helps, and that you all have fun ;)

Thanks for the set up John:thumbsup:. It made a huge difference. I knocked off one & a half seconds from my previous best in the first few laps of trying it out and obviously I wouldn't have got second place in the qualy without it.

Despite the mishaps, I loved the combo and both races. I look forward to the next [spicy] one.

Totally agree, I only saw bits of R1 but yeh, great vid.
The rear view mirror is very revealing. Guys catching but not able to make the pass. Then the guy behind suddenly has his mirrors full. Very difficult car to control. That makes it's so difficult to stay on track when driving less than a second behind, with mirrors full of a quick driver who's is both pushing hard and waiting to pick up the pieces of any mistake.
Once again, great combo which made for some heart in the mouth moments. Love it. :)

Glad you guys like it, Itry and talk through what I am doing or why and I am nearly always shouting at myself for something hahaha!

So sorry about the first race f*** up on the start line guys, went to join race and sat on the rid with the pause screen, which froze:mad: - then rejoined thinking I was at the back but I was a lap behind. I need a lie down:(

Well done and congrats to the podium guys and hope you all enjoyed it - and great to see some new faces, hope you all had a good event;)

Next event will be a bit spicy for you - I hope! ;)
I already see the server and the combo . Have to try it immediately
S1 Thomson

My framerates were in the 60s, instead of an ideal 90fps (VR), so I had to be cautious in the corners, especially Moss corner. I didn't run the engine limiter @ 105, so maybe that also had something to do with it. It was certainly hard to get past you. I suspect that's why John let me through in the second race without a fight - it's the type of tactic I often employ with the hope that both drivers take each other out, or create a space for me to exploit.:sneaky::whistling: Gentleman John or crafty John, I'll let you decide.:p:laugh:
If I'm honest Patrick, after the first race c0ck up (game froze) and wrecking half the grid my head wasn't in it - just wanted to get round 'n finish the 2nd race!

Thanks for the set up John:thumbsup:. It made a huge difference. I knocked off one & a half seconds from my previous best in the first few laps of trying it out and obviously I wouldn't have got second place in the qualy without it.

Despite the mishaps, I loved the combo and both races. I look forward to the next [spicy] one.
Glad it helped :thumbsup: though hearing @pretend racer Jason's advice re camber and toe I tried that and improved my pb considerably too, so thanks Jason!

Spicy is now up, hope it blows some cobwebs away for peeps:whistling:

Thanks for the race guys it was pretty fun, I was sweating after the races hahaha. I have attached the setup that I used which was just a slightly tweaked version of the tune @Medilloni provided. I was able to flat shift with the limiter at 105, just you had to be careful not to damage the motor while in neutral on the start line, and not over rev it in first gear.

I watched the incident between @pattikins and @Aksu and IMO it looks like a racing incident where you both didn't leave enough room for the other because of the kink in the track. I wouldn't assign blame to either driver. If my interpretation isn't required or appreciated I will edit my post and let the steward deals with it officially.

I also experienced quite a few frame drops in the first race, which led to some interesting events on the first couple of laps. I tried to make sure I let anybody by that I tagged during that lap...

I have started to watch the stream that @HTIDRaver2k8 posted and I have only seen the qualifing so far, but I noticed that you have the tire app open on screen and yet your tires are not at the correct psi! You need to lower the left side tires by 2 psi and the right side by 1 psi. That will ensure that you have 26 psi while on the parts of the track where you need the most lateral grip.

I am uploading a vid of my first race, it should be up in a few hours. I had plenty of fun and I hope you enjoy the replay. I have it unlisted so only people who have this link can see it. I hope that's acceptable.

Race 1

Attachments

• Donnington Mosposrt 18.3jp modified soft arb.ini
    976 bytes · Views: 67
Thanks for the race guys it was pretty fun, I was sweating after the races hahaha. I have attached the setup that I used which was just a slightly tweaked version of the tune @Medilloni provided. I was able to flat shift with the limiter at 105, just you had to be careful not to damage the motor while in neutral on the start line, and not over rev it in first gear.

I watched the incident between @pattikins and @Aksu and IMO it looks like a racing incident where you both didn't leave enough room for the other because of the kink in the track. I wouldn't assign blame to either driver. If my interpretation isn't required or appreciated I will edit my post and let the steward deals with it officially.

I also experienced quite a few frame drops in the first race, which led to some interesting events on the first couple of laps. I tried to make sure I let anybody by that I tagged during that lap...

I have started to watch the stream that @HTIDRaver2k8 posted and I have only seen the qualifing so far, but I noticed that you have the tire app open on screen and yet your tires are not at the correct psi! You need to lower the left side tires by 2 psi and the right side by 1 psi. That will ensure that you have 26 psi while on the parts of the track where you need the most lateral grip.

I am uploading a vid of my first race, it should be up in a few hours. I had plenty of fun and I hope you enjoy the replay. I have it unlisted so only people who have this link can see it. I hope that's acceptable.

Race 1
Interesting! I'll give that a try.

I managed to get into the 17's in R2 which I was happy about.

I'll try your suggestion.

Got really angry in the Highlands race, one of my first Racedepartment online races.
Was constantly hit by someone who should have known better.
After I bleated on about it on the forum, I think it was Neilski that told me that it can, not always, be bad Ping , inability of the server to place each car were it should be. Felt quite guilty about getting so annoyed, always wanted to apologize to him, but you just don’t know.
Since then I have seen it happen to me quite a few times, luckily for me my Ping is always strong ( 15 normally ) when it happens I assume it’s ping.
Especially as I usually know the person I am racing against, so I always assume Ping. :)

Please comment, as this is only what I have assumed, I have no technical insight to this phenomena.

Certainly have no understanding of how servers work in our sim racing system.

@Kek700 I had my first real experience in sim racing ping at le mans the other day. In the race i thought hans fazzi hit the back of my car but in the replay i actually drove right into the back of him :confused: so i done some ballpark numbers. At 300km/hr the car is travelling it own length every 50ms or 0.05s. So I'm guessing with every 50 ms difference in ping between 2 cars you get roughly 1/3 of a car length difference in position per 100 km/hr... Or maybe the server tries to account for this and i'm way off :thumbsdown:

I'm no expert but some thoughts:
Firstly, when you're on a straight it may be safe to reach over and hold down the "tab" key for a moment - this lets you see some info on the racers near you in the current placings (sadly, not backmarkers who are physically close to you, IIRC) and part of that info is the ping. So if you experience issues, you can consider trying it on the next straight to see if the ping is into the hundreds of milliseconds for that driver.
Secondly, AC's netcode seems to do a half-way decent job of coping with highish ping times. However, I know fewer details about how AC does this than say LFS, which I seem to recall has some public postings from the devs about how it works (might be true also for AC I guess but I don't think I've seen any).
The way LFS does it is basically to use the derivative of the car's velocity (i.e. including both speed and direction changes). It might even be the second or third derivative (it's been a while :D). This means that it can cope reasonably well with extrapolating where a car should be when a packet is late/lost, even when it's cornering or braking. Quite likely most sims do something vaguely similar.
High ping isn't always a problem but I think it's also linked to higher packet loss which is probably more dangerous.

Aki @Aksu, on Teamspeak you said that I was at fault for the incident in the first race. Normally I'd be the first to hold my hands up, but I can't see what I did to cause the crash. I know that you're a lot more experienced (& faster) in sim racing than I am, so can you have a look at the crash from my perspective, both inside & outside the car, and explain to me where I went wrong.
Sorry for late answer... Watched videos and I see that I came too early front of you. Sorry!
Blame on me....

Nevertheless those were two worst races for me in two years :( Too tired to focus that evening so should have skip whole race.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back