Buying advice please - Next Level v3 Motion Platform

I'm looking for some advice and thoughts of other owners or people with good knowledge of the product, please.

I always said I'd buy myself a motion simulator if I could afford one and had the room available. Well, that day may have arrived. I'm impressed by what I've seen of the Next Level v3 Motion Platform

This seems to meet all my criteria:

+ Limited space requirements, I don't have room for a huge sim rig but this seems compact enough to work.
+ Works with Oculus Rift VR, that fixed head position setting solution is impressive
+ Great support and regular updates from the developers
+ Available in the UK
+ Works with my current Thrustmaster wheel and accessories.
+ Sub £3k for the full setup, I'm not a pro racer I'm not looking for a practice simulator this is just for fun so the cost/fun balance has to be right.

So help me do the man maths! Is it worth it?

Is there another similar product I should also look at? It would need to be reasonably compact, work with VR, available in the UK without too much hassle and in the same £3-5K price range.

Is there anywhere I can try one or even better several of the systems in the UK?

Save $300 off purchase in the US

Just a tip for people looking to purchase in the US. I just bought my V3 in the Microsoft store list price $3000 USD. The store itself suggested I could save 10% if I was a student, teacher or parent. I chose parent and with no muss or fuss I got the 10% off and free shipping. The ship estimate was 10-14 days but it arrived in just three days! It seems to come from a drop ship warehouse in California not from Microsoft.

I just got it mounted to my rSeat N1. I'm still trying to dial it in but I love it so far.

Upvote 0
Can anyone compare the Next Level Racing v3 to the DofReality P3? The P3 is cheaper and has 3 axis of movement. They claim to have a better product than the NLRv3 (but of course they do). Can anyone say something about their product?

It works only with their frame that costs $800+ extra and has proprietary software with way less games support (and no support for Video Ride and no Game Vibe – control your shakers and bud kickers).

Given they can’t even look at a basic spec sheet to know this blurb is wrong before making such claims instantly makes it all unbelievable to me. A full rig mover is worse when using smaller motors because they have more lag.

Being stuck with that frame is not something I’d want personally, looks cheap and flimsy along with not having much adjustment. Unfortunately any real comparison fromanyone with experience isn’t going to be possible as I doubt anyone has had both to try.

Upvote 0
Given they can’t even look at a basic spec sheet to know this blurb is wrong before making such claims instantly makes it all unbelievable to me. A full rig mover is worse when using smaller motors because they have more lag.

Being stuck with that frame is not something I’d want personally, looks cheap and flimsy along with not having much adjustment. Unfortunately any real comparison fromanyone with experience isn’t going to be possible as I doubt anyone has had both to try.
It's also not as cheap as it looks. Many UK buyers were getting hit with unexpected ~£300 import duties before the goods were released from customs.

Upvote 0
So one of my springs snapped last night while driving. I don't think they are a major part of operation and it looks like I might be able to replace it myself as long as Next Level send me a replacement part. I heard the twang last night while racing but didn't think anything of it, as I've heard that noise before and just assumed it was the spring reaching its outer limits. This actually doesn't really happen to me anymore as with my post process settings, I am never at the end of the throw of the platform, which is where it used to happen.

But this time it's clean snapped off. I've emailed Next Level to see what sort of an issue it is, whether I could replace it myself and also if it's OK to keep driving with it. I've ran a platform diagnostic and it seems to be moving as normal. I'd say they are just there to keep tension on parts that require it? I don't know, they've always had me wonder what they actually do.

I'll report back once I have an answer. Good news is that now with the 80 20 chassis, should the platform need to be removed and sent away, I should still be able to re mount my seat, given the modularity of the setup now. Shouldn't impact racing too much apart from the numb feeling I'd experience for the first few hours. Funny thing is sometimes I run without motion for weeks but once I turn it on, I never drive without it for ages. Weird me.

Upvote 0
It looks like it should be. I reckon I could still use the thing without worrying about it too much but obviously would like it back the way it was pretty quickly. I wonder if it's a part that would be at the local distributor warehouse. Seems likely as it may be a wear and tear item. Only way I'll know is when they get back to me.

Upvote 0
It looks like it should be. I reckon I could still use the thing without worrying about it too much but obviously would like it back the way it was pretty quickly. I wonder if it's a part that would be at the local distributor warehouse. Seems likely as it may be a wear and tear item. Only way I'll know is when they get back to me.
Hopefully it's just an isolated incident caused by a manufacturing defect in the spring. It shouldn't really have failed unless it was being over-stressed or fatigued, but you'd hope and expect that NL carefully chose the springs based on specific performance parameters.

Did it fail at one end or in the middle somewhere?

Upvote 0
It is a tiny bit concerning that there appear to have been a few various reliability issues of late and probably more so because they have been reported and highlighted by some of the more regular contributors to this and other threads, who have likely had their V3s a fair while now and are possibly even outside of warranty.

I've got nothing but good things to say about Next Level's after-sales support so it will be interesting to see how they respond to failures like these, especially if the warranty period has lapsed.

@anton_Chez 'snapped spring' issue is a little concerning though as his post-processing config does reduce the extremes of movement considerably compared to what the platform is capable of.

Hopefully though, these are just isolated incidents like you say @Mascot but it's something to keep an eye on. At the end of the day though I suppose there is always going to be the risk of a 'breakage' where moving parts are frequently placed under stress, albeit I would have thought that the more extreme the movement, the greater that risk and most of us are probably pretty sympathetic when it comes to set up. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As you guys might know, my NLMv3 broke down. It took rather long until it reached the repair center. Way to long actually, then other stuff happend.

In stead of starting topics on forums, i was patient and polite like the customer service of next level racing is Nothing is gained by going in to detail too much and trying to get things done by publishing your grief on the internet, reasoning gets you much further

In the end the guys at next level racing did the right thing and replaced my unit.

So kudo's to them.:thumbsup:

This week i had an Teamviewer session because one of the fans was giving an issue. During this process i noticed a setting "enable PS-4 Compatibility", but i do not believe that the unit has official PS4 support.

Upvote 0
As you guys might know, my NLMv3 broke down. It took rather long until it reached the repair center. Way to long actually, then other stuff happend.

In stead of starting topics on forums, i was patient and polite like the customer service of next level racing is Nothing is gained by going in to detail too much and trying to get things done by publishing your grief on the internet, reasoning gets you much further

In the end the guys at next level racing did the right thing and replaced my unit.

So kudo's to them.:thumbsup:

This week i had an Teamviewer session because one of the fans was giving an issue. During this process i noticed a setting "enable PS-4 Compatibility", but i do not believe that the unit has official PS4 support.
I wonder who you might be referring to :roflmao:.

Glad it’s fixed, I need to deliberate between getting a new sub next year or the NLMV3, first I upgraded the rig, then went back to my HT gear so I think next I’ll go back to the rig since it’s the last thing I need to complete it.

Upvote 0
So today i bought the Pcars2 season pass, tried out the 919 Hybrid at the Leipzig track.

I was doing my first laps in the car and got decent motion. Then i thought "this car might have ERS / KERS" So i pressed the KERS button on acceleration and immediately the seat tilted way more to the back than normal.

It was awesome :D

The motion together with the fans of windsim spinning up gave an incredible sense of acceleration.

Upvote 0
Glad it’s fixed, I need to deliberate between getting a new sub next year or the NLMV3, first I upgraded the rig, then went back to my HT gear so I think next I’ll go back to the rig since it’s the last thing I need to complete it.
My lawyer has asked me to publicly state that I have never directly recommended the NLV3 to you or to anybody else, and any purchasing decisions you have made in the past, are currently making, or will make in the future are entirely down to your own personal choice and free will. If I have ever made any statements about the Next Level Motion V3 unit then those were formed entirely from my own personal opinions and based on my own unique experiences, and should not be taken as endorsement of the product or as a mechanism to entice others to purchase this item. Operator experience may differ greatly between different groups of people and some users may experience effects that do not match their own preconceptions or expectations. Other motion systems are available.

Upvote 0
I can see that NLRv3 is getting more and more attention in the world of simracing. I have 2DOF platform based on 100mm SCN5s and I wonder how much it differs from each other - is anybody here, reading this thread able to provide me with some details based on his/her experience, please? I am much tempted to switch from 2DOF rear actuators to NLRv3, but will I benefit from it?

Upvote 0
I wouldn't think so. It depends on what you call a benefit. If looks, noise, space saving are important to you, then yes, you most likely will improve on what you have. Those things are probably the things that the V3 does best, more so than pretty much any other motion platform I've seen worth it's weight in what it's trying to do. Software and game support are also a plus for the V3 but I cannot comment on it being better than other options.

If you are expecting a step up in feeling and capabilities where movement and motion are concerned, then it depends. It depends if you current option moves as quickly as the V3 with it's actuators. I have no idea how to compare this without being in it. The above things are probably the definite improvements, and the motion would be at least as good, I would suggest.

I would love a review of the V3 vs the Stage IV from SimXperience. I was so close to getting one of those, but decided against it. I am happy that I did to be honest. Since I've began running the motion properly again, it just feels so nice. Nice as in, you barely notice it's there because it blends in so well with what you expect to feel and also the tactile I have running. Once I add back in VR it will be another step up again. I know the Stage IV has the traction loss, but apart from that, I wonder what the difference in feeling is, both with and without it. Are their actuators better at what they do than the V3? Very interested.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 260 67.9%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 173 45.2%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 186 48.6%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 81 21.1%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 105 27.4%
Back