Button Boxes | Useful Or An Unnecessary Indulgence?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sim hardware comes in all different shapes and sizes, and nowadays, we have ever more diverse ways to add functionality to a rig... does this spell the end of traditional button boxes in sim racing?

A lot of our community here at RaceDepartment probably rock a button box or two on their sim racing rigs, or at the very least are aware of some options available to purchase in the growing sim racing hardware marketplace - however, unlike in recent memory, more and more alternatives to the traditional physical button boxes are becoming available - from smartphones and tablets with loaded up with Simhub overlays, to the powerful Stream Deck boxes on offer today.

With this in mind, is it still useful to have a more traditional button box, or are they quickly becoming more of an indulgence than practical improvement to your sim racing setup?

Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

(Editors note: For the record, I love button boxes - especially replica real world dash setups and / or ones that look like they come from a race car).

Button Box Footer.png

Last edited:
While I would not call it a hard requirement I personally enjoy having a button box option for various reasons. Primarily for immersion but also having things consistently mapped when I switch out rims. I have recently finished implementing my new button box solution and I am happy with how it turned out.

Attachments

• Mounted.jpg
    Mounted.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 0
I made my button box simple, using a electronic box made of plastic with a lid cut in lexan and spray-painted. The stand is 3D-printed. No labels since I only use VR. This also explains why it had to be simple and practical. It's placed on the left of the steering wheel (which by the way has no buttons at all), oriented towards the driver and easily accessible with my left hand. The buttons are metallic and provide tactile feedback. I need to be able to use it blind and wearing gloves. The 3 rows and columns are meant to match my 3 central fingers. I place my fingers on the top row of buttons and then move my hand down to reach the rest of the buttons. That way I always know what button I am pushing. Most of the buttons have double functions (single press or holding for a second). I have a graphical summary which can be displayed with one of the buttons while wearing my headset in case I forget anything. Apart from the buttons, my box also features a switch which disconnects the power that goes to the fans and a 2-way momentary lever, which has different functions, cycled with one of the buttons.

new-button-box-2021.jpg

controls-2021.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back