Button Boxes | Useful Or An Unnecessary Indulgence?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sim hardware comes in all different shapes and sizes, and nowadays, we have ever more diverse ways to add functionality to a rig... does this spell the end of traditional button boxes in sim racing?

A lot of our community here at RaceDepartment probably rock a button box or two on their sim racing rigs, or at the very least are aware of some options available to purchase in the growing sim racing hardware marketplace - however, unlike in recent memory, more and more alternatives to the traditional physical button boxes are becoming available - from smartphones and tablets with loaded up with Simhub overlays, to the powerful Stream Deck boxes on offer today.

With this in mind, is it still useful to have a more traditional button box, or are they quickly becoming more of an indulgence than practical improvement to your sim racing setup?

Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

(Editors note: For the record, I love button boxes - especially replica real world dash setups and / or ones that look like they come from a race car).

Button Box Footer.png

Last edited:
They can be useful if your wheel doesn't have a lot of knobs and you race in a series with a lot of tunables (eg. modern GT, LMP, or Formula cars). That said, you don't have to get anything too fancy, I just use a detachable numpad:

2021-04-07.jpg

Keybindings:

Brake biasTCABSMapTC trimWiperLightsIgnition
Toggle3.*
+17829-
+0.24
-105006+

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its better than use only the keyboard (that is what I use)... not essential in simrace, but very useful. Some sims are unplayable only with wheel buttons or gamepad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It really depends on how far you want to go.

For me a button box could easily be a keypad (as @Chris Down demonstrates above) with some labels, and personally I wouldn't feel a loss in immersion.

Sure, if you want to simulate the environment of your favourite car then there's no other option than a custom built button box.

But for me I just stick with the buttons on my wheel - hell I just drive a Playseat Challenge with a TS-PC and a couple of buttkickers - need something that can be stuffed away quickly when needed - and I don't feel I'm lacking on the immersion front.

Upvote 0
After my "downgrade" of number of buttons from my G27-buttons + H-shifter-buttons to T300RS GT-buttons and TH8A-nobutton stick, I've just bought a handy Logitech K480 Bluetooth device with ability of 3 Bluetooth devices and programming up on that for all different sims and within each sim different buttons depending on the excact car I drive. Suiting my Next Level F-GT Lite rig quite well.
A very cheap solution, though maybe too cheap since no led lights with the K480.
So I have had the consideration of a button box with "the most analogue" classic buttons suiting my passion for driving classic AC car mods, but haven't found about the right one yet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have never used one. Due space limitations, it was easier for me to buy the Fanatec F1 2018 Clubsport wheel. For most functions I use, it has more than enough buttons for me. Plus I got the 2019 version for free because Fanatec was late on delivery of the Podium DD2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Gotta say I would never use one.If you race a real car then you dont have one because all on the move adjustments are made on the steering wheel in a sophisticated car or otherwise it is a basic car like a MX5 which nobody makes adjustments whilst racing.What is it simulating?The deck of an aircraft?Its not like it does away with the keyboard.

Upvote 0
I also have my stream deck in my button box, I do have way more buttons and encoders than I need, but I may one day play a space shuttle simulator, and then I will need more, back in the day with my Logitech G27 a button box with encoders was invaluable and really needed.

But now as most wheels have a decent amount of turners and pushers, the button box is less valuable, but I still love flipping a switch for ignition and then press that start button.

Could leave without them but I choose not too.
IMG_20210407_192030.jpg

Upvote 0
I have three. A usb keypad and 2x homemade button boxes that I made with zero delay joystick encoders, a plastic box and a stack of buttons and switches off ebay. Total cost for the lot was less than £20. And they are essential once you get used to them - I use them for my flight sims too.

IMG_20210407_192102345.jpg
IMG_20210407_192110925.jpg

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back