Build Report: Tactile Immersion in Motion

I'd just built what seemed to me the perfect immersive racing platform. What had started off as a modest attempt to dust off an old hobby had turned into something of an obsession -- messy, mismatched, and ridiculously inadequate at first, but now finally coming together.

After years of disuse, I'd pulled an old Thrustmaster wheelstand, wheel base, and pedal set out of the basement, plopped it down in front of a large screen television, sat myself in a comfy chair and gone racing.

50023647202_665d33cdca_c.jpg

I'd had an on-again-off-again interest in SIM racing since the early nineties, culminating in the release of GP Legends, which I'd played with a wheel bolted to my computer desk. That's about as far as I'd gotten in terms of hardware. But even I could recognize that this whole setup left a lot to be desired. It was of course annoying to have the stand slide out from under my feet under even light braking, to have only minimum feedback from the wheel and no resistance from the pedals, and to endure the 60Hz television refresh rate. I was having fun, but wanted more. So I started out on a project that I thought had reached its pinnacle before this thread even starts.

846FCBA1-960F-4C65-853D-1CD22D971438.jpeg

Over the course of the next four of five months, I took a jagged path through a stand just rigid enough to support a direct drive wheel, a better chair that still had to be strapped to the stand once I added a hydraulic brake pedal, eventually forcing a decision to build an 80/20 cockpit, install a proper racing seat, add a motion platform, belt myself in, and put on a VR headset. It was everything I had imagined it could possibly be and was responding beautifully to my efforts to dial it in.

50023090151_d466c01e28_c.jpg

Then, on a whim, I decided to try out one of those Buttkicker Gamer2 packages. I honestly thought it was a gimmick and didn't expect it to add much to the immersive experience. Even so, despite my already low expectations, I found it singularly unimpressive. Almost every other step I'd taken in this process had not only shown promise, but delivered a substantially improved experience. This thing just did nothing for me at all. I sent it back almost immediately.

Still, the idea of adding tactile stimuli made sense to me. Although that specific product in that particular configuration on my individual platform had not delivered, I couldn't stop turning over in my head that it could be done right and in a way that wouldn't just add a bit of rumbling noise, but would complement the immersive experience of motion and VR. I soon discovered the exhaustive tactile immersion tread and began a correspondence with @Mr Latte that has transformed my thinking about what it should be possible to achieve. Without his guidance, I'm sure I would have given up on this idea.

This thread will chronicle my efforts integrating tactile stimuli on my platform. It may take me a while to cover everything, but here's the plan: After describing my starting point and some of its idiosyncrasies, I'll outline my objectives, general philosophy, specific hardware choices, challenges I've faced and solutions discovered for isolating the 80/20 frame and motion platform while conducting stimuli to the body, explore a few dead ends that haven't worked for me but may be instructive for others, and finally look at software configuration and tuning, which I've only just begun to explore.

50017665468_f5a353c9e4_c.jpg

Last edited:
SimHub output routed through two audio cards to the analog inputs of a USB audio interface, then processed through Ableton Live DAW software and the FabFilter Pro-Q 3 equalizer plug-in. Video captured in PowerPoint.

Firstly apologies as the "usage of proof" to confirm matters regards Simhub output should not of caused interruption to the discussion here. I specifically responded back in the thread it should of been kept in.

@RCHeliguy
Tip: Some downsides with the pro route, it's not going to be free or cheap. Then again why should the worlds leading utilities for audio used by actual pros be free?

The Fabfilter Full Audio Bundle on iOS to the PC/Mac version comes in much cheaper in comparison to just Fab Filter Pro Q3 plugin alone. If possible, using an iPad with compatible interfaces (many) and a simple USB hub brings some advantages to the full PC/Mac DAW approach.

AUM is an awesome alternative to a full-on DAW. Massively popular in the audio/creative industry and much easier to learn to use.

Mentioned this before but worth considering.

Upvote 0
SimHub output routed through two audio cards to the analog inputs of a USB audio interface, then processed through Ableton Live DAW software and the FabFilter Pro-Q 3 equalizer plug-in. Video captured in PowerPoint.

Ah so you're physically connecting an output to an input, like when you do a loop-back test? I see, thanks.

Upvote 0
Have you done much analysis of the sound coming out of your transducers?
I assume you want as much feeling with as little sound as possible.
A few weeks ago when I was running tone sweeps at various gain levels through each of the transducers, I shared some observations about the frequencies at which each emitted something audible and the points at which transmission of vibrations appeared to wane. For all of them, you can start to hear some sound while they are still within their useful range for tactile. As long as it’s internal and not caused by something rattling away on the rig, it’s mostly a question of whether you find that annoying. I run mostly in VR, so it gets drowned out by the game audio.

Upvote 0
Just to add some of my own experiences to this factor.

Personal preference will play into this aspect and what units the person uses. With having advanced controls you can determine what dB you want specific frequencies to have. So frequencies beyond @120Hz may start to become more like "audible noise" than "felt sensations" from them.

Units installed with closer body contact you can feel this finer detailing and it can be used in effects to add to their immersion. Having the tools to control how the audio is generated as well as control of how the unit operates lets the user determine what they do. So if you don't want the audible hum or do not feel so well the higher Hz (based on units used or installation) then it's the users choosing.

We have to factor the units used as the operational characteristics of different units can vary, for example, a TST is more audible than a BK. The (Thruster) exciters will be more audible than the typical budget transducers to.

Can the hum be used as a 4D immersion aspect and what do I mean by this?
Simply we use the "audible hum" aspect from the transducer to match the sounds of the cars engine. So we inject into the rig/room/user via the tactile an audible tone that works in conjunction with the audio from the game.

Early tests were done to look at the actual audio output of a cars engine character. Easy to do with this level of hardwre. I did some self experiments to monitor this and then determine how we could create a tone within Simhub that matched approximately the actual tone of the car.

So consider cars in ACC as an example. A higher-pitched whine of a Ferrari is very different to the hum from a Porsche or the drone of an Audi. I do believe it has some potential but its not something I seen others try to implement or experiment with their own effects.

The other way to go about this is to just use specific tactile for "Game Audio" based roles or with some clever mixing. Ideally to bring added immersion that "Tone Generators" can not accomplish and in particular for the "engine character" of the car being driven.

We can adapt "Game Audio" to be beneficial to tactile immersion and combined with "Tone Generation" based tactile. Its up to to individual people if it interests them or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To date I've found my Aura's to be pretty quite and I'm also in VR, I don't notice them much. I did recently order a BK-CT for my seat. I guess I got excited that my NX-4 6000 is coming home and decided to give it a new companion to play with.

I'll be very curious to see how the Aura and Concert compare. To be fair I'm very happy with my other Aura's and I was pretty happy with the seat, most of the time, but I think that is the one area where I would notice the improvement the most. I will be orienting the Concert upright, tucked very close to the back of the seat on a piece of aluminum heavily secured to profile that is bolted to the seat side brackets. Given the NLRv3 pivot I'm I'm not sure if I'll fell more impact or shake over the pivot point. My Aura is vertically mounted.

Upvote 0
The BK Concert is capable of really nice low bass, will be an enjoyable addition.

We can trim a bit of a spike in the @20 Hz range that the large BK seem to have. If doing that you can really push the low end below 20Hz with +10dB or more. So perhaps see about getting some form of PEQ or DEQ in place to better tweak it for your user preference and installation.

Buttkicker Differences
The Concert is tuned to have a bit more bass response in the 40Hz-80Hz range.
The BK LFE is tuned more for lower frequencies below 20Hz and movie soundtracks

The 2ohm Concert model is commonly used for drum thrones.
A kick drum operates in that 40-80Hz range apparently.

Added Edit:
* For official clarification, to clear any confusion formed by different people's opinions or test evaluations shared.
This above info is within the Buttkicker PDF for each product.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I understand the Concert has less issues with pistoning. Time will tell.

The LFEs enhanced low end is closer to that operating spike @20Hz that can cause the piston pang on these. So it may be part of that issue for some? Really though with PEQ, you can likely tune each unit to operate in a very similar manner.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The main reason I got the Concert is that I'm hoping I won't need equalization. I'm not saying it wouldn't be better with it, but just that I'd like to keep it simple because my rig is mobile and the amp is in the middle of my media room. I know compromises....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is how I decided to mount my Concert to my seat so it didn't interfere with the motion of my NLRv3. It's pretty simple but I'm hoping that through bolting a 1/4" plate with piece of 1/4" angle with both pieces bolting multiple times to the profile will give it a solid mount.

This is just my first time bolting it up. I still need to go back and polish this to a mirror finish :)

buttkickerMount_5211.jpg

Upvote 0
Aluminium can be noisy material, especially the piston bang.

I've been using aluminum from the beginning without any issues, but I guess I'll find out when my NX4-6000 arrives next Tuesday.

The aluminum is solid. 5 bolts across the back another 4 against the front. 5 bolts holding the two plates together. I'll know more next week, but I'm not setup to work with steel very well, so aluminum is my go to material.
BK_CTMount_5215.jpg

Upvote 0
drop a piece of alu and a piece of wood on the floor and you hear what i mean.

I'm not ignorant. I understand the properties of different materials.

However given that my Sim Lab P1 is nearly all aluminum. My foot plate is an aluminum plate with two transducers directly attached to it and I've never noticed a sonic note from it and I've had a transducer mounted to an aluminum plate on the back of my seat for a year and haven't had an issue, I'm not too worried.

Now the BK-CT might just be god awful powerful and I'll change my tune, but I doubt it.

The setup below has worked beautifully! I've been extremely happy with it and the transducers are directly mounted to 1/4" 6061 aluminum plate.
NewSupport_4789.jpg

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes