Build Report: Tactile Immersion in Motion

I'd just built what seemed to me the perfect immersive racing platform. What had started off as a modest attempt to dust off an old hobby had turned into something of an obsession -- messy, mismatched, and ridiculously inadequate at first, but now finally coming together.

After years of disuse, I'd pulled an old Thrustmaster wheelstand, wheel base, and pedal set out of the basement, plopped it down in front of a large screen television, sat myself in a comfy chair and gone racing.

50023647202_665d33cdca_c.jpg

I'd had an on-again-off-again interest in SIM racing since the early nineties, culminating in the release of GP Legends, which I'd played with a wheel bolted to my computer desk. That's about as far as I'd gotten in terms of hardware. But even I could recognize that this whole setup left a lot to be desired. It was of course annoying to have the stand slide out from under my feet under even light braking, to have only minimum feedback from the wheel and no resistance from the pedals, and to endure the 60Hz television refresh rate. I was having fun, but wanted more. So I started out on a project that I thought had reached its pinnacle before this thread even starts.

846FCBA1-960F-4C65-853D-1CD22D971438.jpeg

Over the course of the next four of five months, I took a jagged path through a stand just rigid enough to support a direct drive wheel, a better chair that still had to be strapped to the stand once I added a hydraulic brake pedal, eventually forcing a decision to build an 80/20 cockpit, install a proper racing seat, add a motion platform, belt myself in, and put on a VR headset. It was everything I had imagined it could possibly be and was responding beautifully to my efforts to dial it in.

50023090151_d466c01e28_c.jpg

Then, on a whim, I decided to try out one of those Buttkicker Gamer2 packages. I honestly thought it was a gimmick and didn't expect it to add much to the immersive experience. Even so, despite my already low expectations, I found it singularly unimpressive. Almost every other step I'd taken in this process had not only shown promise, but delivered a substantially improved experience. This thing just did nothing for me at all. I sent it back almost immediately.

Still, the idea of adding tactile stimuli made sense to me. Although that specific product in that particular configuration on my individual platform had not delivered, I couldn't stop turning over in my head that it could be done right and in a way that wouldn't just add a bit of rumbling noise, but would complement the immersive experience of motion and VR. I soon discovered the exhaustive tactile immersion tread and began a correspondence with @Mr Latte that has transformed my thinking about what it should be possible to achieve. Without his guidance, I'm sure I would have given up on this idea.

This thread will chronicle my efforts integrating tactile stimuli on my platform. It may take me a while to cover everything, but here's the plan: After describing my starting point and some of its idiosyncrasies, I'll outline my objectives, general philosophy, specific hardware choices, challenges I've faced and solutions discovered for isolating the 80/20 frame and motion platform while conducting stimuli to the body, explore a few dead ends that haven't worked for me but may be instructive for others, and finally look at software configuration and tuning, which I've only just begun to explore.

50017665468_f5a353c9e4_c.jpg

Last edited:
Preparing the circuit box with gauge and button controllers. I’d originally wired the buttons up with an Arduino board, but was so pleased with the simplicity of the software running the SymProjects Pro-Gauge controller (right side) that I decided to replace it with the SymProject JC32 joystick controller shown here (left side). Configuration could not have been more straightforward. The small boards (top) are signal adaptors with potentiometers to adjust the output to the range expected by the oil and fuel pressure gauges.

887EF538-88CE-4525-80D8-ED27270D0A4D.jpeg

Upvote 0
I completely agree with your approach. I got a 64 input Bodnar board for my switches and it handles rotaries as well. Arduinos are versatile, but the simplicity of a purpose built board is hard to beat! And what you are building is something that definitely is made easier by the boards you got. It probably looks a lot cleaner too!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cable management... I do wish I could make this a bit cleaner. But, considering it supports twelve tactile channels, a motion platform, widescreen and VR, the wheelbase, shifter, pedals, gauges and buttons, and has to be flexible enough to move around for service, this is probably as good as it gets.

41B4F64C-025D-4311-8289-6058F1D392F3.jpeg

Upvote 0
Cable management... I do wish I could make this a bit cleaner. But, considering it supports twelve tactile channels, a motion platform, widescreen and VR, the wheelbase, shifter, pedals, gauges and buttons, and has to be flexible enough to move around for service, this is probably as good as it gets.

View attachment 418399

I pop in every once and a while to see the progress. Look forward to you showcasing your build more
As per cables, you could consider some form of plastic trunking. I have also used in ther past a vacuum cleaner hosing to channel all the cables into one tubing. These are cheap and can be cut/modified, "Henry" model is easy to source parts on ebay.

Example:
A
B

The tubing is 32mm which could be used with fittings if it is wide enough, If not its is also possible to just use the hosing and cutoff or not use the ends. Now you just can slice it down the middle. Then slip in the cables and use velcro straps or cable ties to wrap it overall the cables as one flexible tubing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Someone asked me whether the pivoting keyboard tray is suitable for other games or for daily tasks on the computer. Truthfully, while it is perfectly placed for racing, it is a little bit awkward for anything else when the wheel is in place.

0290F00E-8610-4E57-8790-8C655BB68EF8.jpeg

But, with the wheel removed, it works pretty well.

1B49E724-CA15-4CE7-A97E-437211AEBD47.jpeg

I finally found the FB post that inspired me to use this keyboard solution. It’s not shareable, but at least I can properly attribute the idea to Amanda Fryar of the Sim-Lab Owners Group.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice build, enjoyable to read! I noticed you have a NLR v3 platform? May I ask why not a 3/4 actuator setup? Or do you think the tactile and buttkickers are not immersive with a full motion rig?

Upvote 0
Over the past couple of weeks, as I’ve begun to drive this rig more regularly, I’ve come to feel that the two exciters under my thighs are not really doing their job very well. One of them failed (loose connector) and I didn’t notice it for a couple of days. I have been using them mainly for wheelslip, which is an effect I share across multiple transducers and exciters. But I don’t really think my thought come in close enough contact with the seat at this point to bring much value. So I’ve started to think about what else to do with these two channels.

One option is to look at bringing some effects to the pedal plate. This was part of my original plan, but I hadn’t come up with a good method for isolating the pedal platform that would not also introduce unwanted flex. I also had some concern that aggressively vibrating the pedals could eventually damage their electronics. This may change, but at the moment I am thinking about isolating just the heel plate and moving those two Dayton exciter under my heels. iRacing, which is what I drive almost exclusively, does not output distinct left and right wheel slip data, but I will still look for ways to keep the output separated for future flexibility.

Upvote 0
Today I moved two of the eight exciters from the seat area below my thighs up to the pedal plate. I’ve attached them to the bottom of the 3mm aluminum plate shown below, which I’ve isolated in my usual manner.

Most of what I’m sending to these units is wheelslip. Since iRacing does not output wheelslip telemetry data in stereo, I’m not concerned about left/right bleed. I also took this occasion to fine tune my effects distribution and will post a link to my current SimHub configuration file.

You may also notice that I’ve been playing around with the relative positions of my throttle, brake, and clutch pedals to get them better positioned for heel-toe downshifts. I’m usually able to match revs without blipping the throttle on the Lotus 49, but I’m not sure whether that’s a bug in iRacing and wanted, in any case, to work on improving my technique. The brake and throttle are now positioned so that, when the brake is fully depressed its pedal face is aligned with that of the throttle.

I was not sure how effective these two small exciters would be in this position, but it is a substantial improvement over the previous configuration.

F504EAC9-E594-4230-96BE-6DA6AEC578A5.jpeg

Upvote 0
Today I moved two of the eight exciters from the seat area below my thighs up to the pedal plate. I’ve attached them to the bottom of the 3mm aluminum plate shown below, which I’ve isolated in my usual manner.
Can you share some photos of how you have them mounted under the plate? So you are perceiving stronger vibrations under your heels vs in your thighs from the seat?
And, for those rare occasions when I drive a car with a sequential gearbox, I added this Heusinkveld shifter. It’s definitely not the best piece of equipment, but it’s small and does the job.
Check out Aiologs if you're looking for a semi-compact SQ shifter with a good tactile click that doesn't break the bank. You'll just have to exercise patience for the shipping. I've tried my buddy's Heusinkveld after owning the Aiologs and the mechanism on the Aiologs is superior.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hardware Selection

Since I'd already purchased one Buttkicker Advance (BK4-4) and hadn't yet thought beyond going stereo, my first additional piece of hardware was a second BK4-4 and a Behringer NX3000D amplifier to drive them. This was a choice I made on the strength of @Mr Latte's recommendation and other comments on the Tactile Immersion thread.

To deliver focused effects to specific parts of the body, I chose to go with four Dayton Audio DAEX32EP-4 exciters. These are compact and easily placed, have a range significantly higher than the Buttkicker transducers, and seem to have been well received by others. I'm driving these with a Behringer EPQ304 amplifier. Since the EPQ304 lacks the DSP control of the NX3000D, I plan to control the frequency sent to these units with the Equalizer APO software.

For mono effects, I will split duty between a Buttkicker LFE, mounted under the seat, and a Clark Synthesis TST 329, mounted at the based of the spine. These are driven by a second NX3000D.

Although the on-board 7.1 audio controller would be sufficient to feed this system, I've again followed @Mr Latte's advice in running the Dayton Audio exciters from an external USB sound card.

I wish there were some reliable source of information about the frequency range and response of these transducers. Buttkicker says the LFE and BK4-4 both have a range of 5 to 200 Hz, which seems a little bit optimistic to me. Clark says the TST 329 has a range from 10 Hz to 17 KHz (!). And Dayton Audio publishes a frequency response graph for the DAEX32EP-4 that covers a range from 70 Hz to about 5 KHz and seems to peak around 150 Hz. This will involve some trial and error, but I'm expecting the Buttkicker transducers to carry the load under 100 Hz, the Clark to pick up somewhere in the middle, and the DA exciters to cover the high end, with everything above 200 or 250 Hz filtered out.

Here is a visual representation of the audio components:

View attachment 383414

I had initially also put an unbalanced/balanced level converter between the sound card and amplifiers, but am hopeful that, over such a short distance, this won't be necessary.

Here is the initial plan of where each unit will live on and around the seat.
View attachment 383415

I'll devote the next post to the most challenging part of this project so far: figuring out how to isolate the seat and mount the first two stereo transducers.

Hey Screamin, I took your advice to go down this path some time ago and now implementing. I have Buttkicker LFE mounted under seat driven by NX3000D and love it! Its running Gear Change and Kurbs (via Simhub). Today I have purchased EPQ304 and 4 x DAx32EP. I'm planning on putting these at thighs and butt cheeks and will try to simulate "Wheel Slip" as corners. My question to you is: do I run 4 x inputs to 4 x mono outputs or as it looks above, 2 x inputs to 2 x stereo outputs?

Cheers and thanks for the lead so far!

Upvote 0
Hey Screamin, I took your advice to go down this path some time ago and now implementing. I have Buttkicker LFE mounted under seat driven by NX3000D and love it! Its running Gear Change and Kurbs (via Simhub). Today I have purchased EPQ304 and 4 x DAx32EP. I'm planning on putting these at thighs and butt cheeks and will try to simulate "Wheel Slip" as corners. My question to you is: do I run 4 x inputs to 4 x mono outputs or as it looks above, 2 x inputs to 2 x stereo outputs?

Cheers and thanks for the lead so far!

I run the DAEX each as an independent channel, however, I usually split individual effects between left/right or fore/aft, depending on the effect.

I was never really very satisfied with the exciters under my thighs, so eventually relocated those to my heel plate. The ones near my hips (outside the seat) aand behind my shoulders work very well.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 204 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years