BUILD LOG: Racing + Flying VR Rig

Hello all! New sim racer here and looking to start a bit of a build log for a couple reasons:
  1. It seems like you guys like this stuff like I do :)
  2. Because I know I am going to need some guidance and input along the way
Before I get into the present and future of my build, first I'd like to briefly share a bit of background. I'm 100% new to sim racing (currently focusing on ACC only, as I love GT3 cars), but I'm not new to simming in general...

BACKGROUND

Around mid 2014 I heard about Digital Combat Simulator (DCS) and given I spent my entire adolescence wanting to be a fighter pilot (before the Navy told me the dream was dead due to me being red/green colorblind) it seemed like something that might be relevant to my interests. Boy was I right! As I assume most of you have experienced, I quickly fell down that peripheral rabbit hole. Said "rabbit hole" become more of a "black hole" that I was falling down at hyperspeed, and the rest is history. From one HOTAS to the next, I ended up becoming very enthralled with the high-end boutique peripherals. Over the ~6 years since I started on DCS, I've gone through waves of being on and off with playing - "off" times being mostly due to my career taking too much of my time and/or other personal life obligations - and I've ebbed and flowed with my level of seriousness with playing. I've joined virtual squadrons and fought in the SATAL league there, I've read military flight manuals front to back to learn more about operating the jets, etc. To this day I still retain a love and enjoyment for DCS, although I haven't played much the past year or so.

Around June of 2020, after years of thinking "I should get into sim racing" (and being told as much by some of my flight sim buddies), I started to get serious about it. Again, I fell down that rabbit hole and became determined to get a racing rig put together. The twist this time was that my wife and I were expecting our first child in July, and we had just bought a new home that was undergoing a lot of renovations...plus there was a small global pandemic going on. Not exactly optimal timing, but life rarely lines up perfectly, so I said "Screw it" and proceeded ahead anyway. With the learnings from my flight sim hardware shenanigans, I subscribed to the "Buy Once, Cry Once" philosophy from day 1 here with the racing build.

I had never sim raced before, but I own an AMG and have always loved fast cars. In 2018, I did an AMG Academy Track Day @ Leguna Seca which was incredible and gave me confidence that I would love sim racing the same as I do flight simming. That day I was told by "Nipper" (my instructor for the day) that I "was a natural", but still I never took the leap to get a racing rig put together. Now that has changed...

PRESENT DAY BUILD

At the end of July, after the baby had arrived, I started ordering the racing rig hardware and checking hourly for the out of stock items to come back into stock. Below is what I settled on for the build and I ordered as soon as the items came back into stock:
  • Rig: SimLab P1-X (Black)
    • Add-ons: SimFeet + Seat Rails + Seat Slider + Keyboard Tray + Mouse Tray + Cup Holders
  • Pedals: Wave Italy WAVE FORCE MONZA - SIM PEDALS PRO
    • I ordered the 2 pedal set with no clutch, as I have 0 intentions of ever racing a car that doesn't use clutch paddles
  • Direct Drive Base: SIMUCUBE 2 Pro
  • Rim: Ascher Racing F-28 Wireless
    • I wanted the F-64 but ran out of patience in waiting for Martin to get this back into stock
    • I might add a new rim in soon, but TBD (would be a F-64 or a Gomez rim)
  • Seat: Sparco Evo II QRT
The Ascher rim took the longest to come back into stock, which was painful, but by the end or end of October I finally had everything I needed. Those few months of waiting were rough. Unfortunately, the waiting didn't stop there as our new home had some undisclosed water damage/issues in the basement, which required a very costly waterproofing system to be installed. This also meant that the finishes of the basement needed to be totally ripped out as they dug the perimeter of the cement up to install all of that. While this was quite costly, it did mean that I had a clean slate to work with for remodeling my man cave...so that is exactly what I did.

The contractors were here for a month or so getting all of that done, and at this point everything is mostly finished besides some things I am going to DIY myself, and then having the painters come (which we cancelled in early December due to COVID spiking again, and we will likely have them come in the Spring once things hopefully have settled down).

Here are some photos of the build....

PROGRESS SHOTS:

G7QhMzh.jpg

DoiYrz6.jpg

JRGbkvE.jpg

Buk07PR.jpg

FINAL PRODUCT:

Xjkd9CO.jpg
vTdYAjy.jpg

I have since cleaned up all the wires with some TLC on cable management. I will get more photos of that up soon.

NEXT STEPS:
  1. Add a pedal slider to the racing pedals
  2. Add tactile feedback to the rig
  3. Add my flight sim peripherals to the rig
  4. Build button boxes for both racing and flight
  5. Add motion
With the guidance of @Mr Latte , I've gotten a small start on adding tactile feedback to the rig. Yesterday I ordered a Behringer NX3000D + 2x ButtKicker Concerts. Configuration of the two BK-CT's is TBD, but I am likely going to add one to the seat and one to the pedals. Unfortunately, the amp is on backorder under the end of January (yay, more waiting!) but once that is here it will mark the next big progress I am able to make on the rig. Once I get this all set up, I will work on adding anywhere from 4-8 exciters onto the seat. On my old flight setup, I used a JetSeat SE from Andre, which was very nice, but I know it will pale in comparison to what I am working on for this build.

Regarding adding my flight sim equipment to the P1-X, I still have some more thinking/planning to do on this one. Since we all love photos, here are some shots of my current gear...

FLIGHT GEAR:

0DD5zlE.jpg

Sbd180E.jpg

• Rig: WheelStandPro for TM Warthog
    • Add-ons: Left Side RSG module
  • Pedals: Slaw RX Vipers
    • Add-ons: Motorcycle damper
  • Throttle: Custom made Throttletek F/A-18C throttle
    • Add-ons: Made with Halls sensor instead of a standard pot, and I procured ~$500+ worth of custom switches for them to use in the build, these are the OTTO mil-spec switches that are used in the real jet
  • Stick Base: Virpil VPC T-50 base
    • Add-ons: Sahaj 15cm Black extension
  • Grip: Thrustmaster F/A-18C Replica
    • I also have my old A-10C/F-16 Warthog grip from when I had a TM Warthog HOTAS
I've got some plans to change some of this stuff up a bit as well, but one step at a time...

Regarding the button boxes, I have about $1500 worth of mil-spec switches, rotaries, and other misc stuff that I purchased when I was planning to build a 1:1 replica cockpit of a F/A-18C Hornet. These are mostly Honeywell and EATON/Cutler Hammer, and are incredibly high quality with a great tactile feel. I've also got a landing gear handle from a GR-4 Tornado fighter jet that I will need to build into one of the botton boxes as well, as well as a landing HOOK handle. My point here is that I've got a lot of the materials already on hand that I can use for a racing box, I'll just need to add a few things here or there maybe.

While I've never soldered a thing in my life, and am largely not "handy" whatsoever, I did acquire all the necessary soldering equipment before...despite never finding the time to use any of it :) Hopefully that changes in 2021, but I'm not so sure given it seems that newborns take quite a bit of your free time, and I've got a lot already on my plate. Someday, though.

That is all for now....the baby needs fed again...but I hope you've enjoyed reading. I'll get the specs of my rig and VR put up sometime soon. Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts and feedback!

Happy New Year to all!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit to add PC specs:

GAMING RIG:
  • GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
  • CPU: Intel i7-9700K
    • Still searching daily for a AMD 5900X to come into stock and allow me 2 seconds to be able to add it to my cart before the scalpers, and which point I will just go ahead and update the mobo, RAM, AIO, etc.
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • AIO Cooler: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum
  • RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200
  • Monitor: Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440
  • VR HMD: Reverb G2

Last edited:
Well, a bit out of left field, but a PC upgrade is now in process. No idea when I will have time to build it...depends when the last parts arrive, and when the baby comes. But everything is ordered.

PC UPDATE (PARTIAL REBUILD):
  • New Items Ordered:
    • CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K
    • Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI motherboard
      • Got this one because it is DDR4 and not DDR5
    • AIO Cooler: Lian Li GALAHAD AIO 360 RGB SL120 EDITION (White)

• Keeping the following items from my old build...
    • GPU: RTX 3090 24 GB Founders Edition
    • RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (White)
      • Edit: just realized I never updated this, I ended up going with T-Force Xtreem ARGB 3600MHz CL14 32GB RAM instead of keeping the old Corsair sticks.
    • PSU: EVGA G2 850 W 80+ Gold
    • Case: Lian Li PC-O11D (White)
    • Case Fans: 6x Corsair LL120 RGB Case Fans (Black)
    • SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD + 2x old Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD's + 1x Old 1TB Seagate HHD
    • Misc: Everything else (i.e. PCIe USB hub, the custom white blacks, etc.)
Doing all of this to make sure the CPU (previously using a 9700K) is up to the task for updating to a Pimax 8KX VR headset. My old Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master motherboard previously threw off a ton of issues on startup for the last 18 or so months, with "Boot Failures" that wouldn't allow my CPU to run anything above 4.4ghz and my RAM never ran at 3200 (I think it forced 2400 instead?). The short version is that the system would hit a Boot Failure 100% of the time, it would bring up the error screen and offer to load some default settings, and that was the only way it would boot. Pretty common issue with this mobo, despite the premium price point, when using some M2 drives. Gigabyte never fixed it despite probably 1000 threads I've read with people b*tching about it, and it's a big reason (one of a few) that I'll never buy from Gibabyte again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My new Pimax 8KX VR headset should arrive tomorrow, per Amazon. This means that I will have some time (assuming no hiccups at installation) to test it on my current system....and then quantify the improvement when I switch over to the 12700K in the new build.

I have the CPU on hand already, and based on tracking estimates everything else (motherboard and AIO) should be here by this weekend. TBD if I will be able to build the new system this weekend or not...if not, it will need to be a project that is done after the baby arrives.

Upvote 0
Delivery of the new PC motherboard has been delayed by UPS until Monday, so unless it arrives earlier than their updated estimate (not likely) there will be no weekend PC building. Normally wouldn't be a big deal but kind of a bummer this time given the circumstances -- this almost guarantees that the PC rebuild will need to come after baby #2 has arrived and we are settled back in at home.

The 8KX is on the truck for delivery today though, so I should get to test that out a little more with the current PC, which will give me more time to benchmark the performance gain I see from going 9700K to 12700K on the CPU.

Upvote 0
Got the grommets put on the seat slider rail, of course I could only find a bag of 100 on Amazon haha…so I have 95 leftover.

@EsxPaul does this look right to you?

Also, you didn’t mentioned how much of a b*tch it was to get them wedged down into the holes :roflmao: They were fighting me hard...I ripped both of my thumbnails back from the skin trying to shove them down in there, but that’ll be worth it if it fixes the rattling! Just kidding though; these one may have been a little thicker rubber, too, making it a bit more difficult to smoosh it down in there.
7F60A84F-7E5B-4364-87C5-D06D385A5867.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Callsign BH Nice one. They look good to me :thumbsup:

They are a real b¿tch to press in as you've now found out but should get the job done for you. Just be careful not to knock them back out of place when you push them onto the spikes.
For sure. I am going to wait until I’ve got the time to pull the seat off to make it easier to get on there just right…rather than try to contort my body to be able to get it in there while it’s on the brackets on the raised rig. Tried that before, wasn’t fun, and no way to really be delicate or precise.

Upvote 0
Will try to get some thoughts on the Pimax 8KX posted later today; overall...I am REALLY liking it, and it was surprisingly easy to get set up. Truly plug and play, took me less than 60 seconds. I would summarize it as a G2 resolution with a Pimax wide FOV.

Takes some voodoo on the VR settings with ACC to get the FPS where I want it, but that is a constant for me. No matter the headset, I always work a little voodoo with settings and mods to get the most out of it and keep hardware on the edge of target FPS.

Upvote 0
8KX review will need to wait, haven't had time to write thoughts up yet but want to make sure I cover the big ticket items because this headset is top notch if you've got the hardware to drive it....and the patience to tweak settings for VR.

@Callsign BH Nice one. They look good to me :thumbsup:

They are a real b¿tch to press in as you've now found out but should get the job done for you. Just be careful not to knock them back out of place when you push them onto the spikes.
Paul....you beautiful, beautiful man, you! It worked perfectly! Seat slider is back in action with absolutely no rattling at all; overall it actually feels a lot more sturdy than it did before where it was always all wiggly.

I ended up needing to pull out and in 3 new grommets in during the install process, as they got torn up a bit with trial and error if getting the slider fixed into place nice and sturdy (I wanted to make sure they were all still in tact)...but now the slider is in, the seat is back on, and there's no rattle at all.

Thanks again for the tip on this, I owe you one! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
The last pieces for the new PC build arrived today (as luck would have it, the motherboard was the last to arrive...so there was no getting a head start on anything). The actual build will be on hold for a bit, though. My wife is scheduled to be induced on Wednesday and I doubt I’ll have the time to get the build done before then.

This will be a nice little project though for when I’ve got a few free minutes…just hope my lack of sleep doesn’t lead to any bonehead mistakes.
228086E5-8555-49D3-A057-2BBA92AB81AE.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yet again, a new child got in the way of my sim racing/rig build and I left the log in the dust...a lot has happened since then, but not much by way of rig progress of even sim racing. I raced maybe a handful of times from March-October, only starting back up within the last 10 days or so. When I had the time, I didn't have the energy....when I had the energy, I didn't have the time. Funny how that works out.

Anyways, I did finish that new PC build mentioned above...actually, I had to RMA the motherboard 3 days after finishing the first rebuild, so I got the pleasure of building it a second time. Did I ever mention how much I loathe building things? It was worth it though as the rig is running well. Of course, now I'm drooling over a 4090 to drive my Pimax 8KX, but trying to hold strong on that urge for now (Pimax 8KX is working great, by the way, I never got around to doing that review/write up I mentioned above....)

Over the past week, since I got back to racing a few nights a week, I've gone about ordering the missing pieces to get my exciters installed on the seat. I think I ordered the 4 exciters in April, and the Behringer EPQ304 in May-ish, along with some of the primary cables, and it's all just been sitting around since then. If you've read my log from the start...you've seen that show before ;)

So this week I ordered the t.racks MiniDSP, then I think it was about 10 or so additional cables I needed to order, along with the little crimp female terminals. The MiniDSP is here and the remaining cables/terminals are now on the way....they should be here Saturday, or Monday at the latest for the last cable.

Planning to install Sunday if everything gets here Saturday, or one night next week if the last piece/part shows up Monday.

Today I took a little time to "prepare" the exciters, here is the process I followed:
  • 70mm rubber grommets
  • 3M Dual Lock tape, and frankly, a lot of it
  • Stuck one layer (2 strips side-by-side) of Dual Lock to the back of the exciters adhesive, then cut around it
  • Stuck one layer (3 strips side-by-side) inside the one side of the rubber grommet, after cutting the strips (freehand) to fit inside the grommet...I then stuck the exciter + Dual Lock to the grommet + Dual Lock on that side
  • Repeated the last step for the other side of the grommet, and this is the side where the Dual Lock will lock onto the seat
  • I will then have one strip stuck to my seat that runs across the 3 strips (to engage them all) inside the backside of the grommet to "lock" it onto my seat
A few photos....

IASETOO.jpg
tEM0OBC.jpg
clS2v79.jpg

More to come here in a few days, or so I hope....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All the cable connecting is done (the cables arrived today), with the exception of the speaker/SpeakON cables running from the exciter units into the EPQ304.

Soundblaster X3 > EPQ304 > t.racks MiniDSP should all be talking to each other now. Also updated the firmware on the MiniDSP a couple nights ago, along with loading the DSP settings to the unit.

The Molex female disconnects are scheduled to arrive on Monday from Parts Express, so should be able to complete everything after that. The hope is that with all of this "pre-work" being done, that it's a pretty quick and smooth process to finish it up...allowing me to do it late one evening during the week. Next weekend is jam packed with stuff, so, won't really have any chance to do it then if I happen to not get it done Monday-Friday of this week.

SD7soJG.jpg

jGJKzT9.jpg

Upvote 0
Now the final part (terminal disconnects) aren't expected to arrive until Thursday, because for some unknown reason PartsExpress sent it UPS Mail Innovations which takes ages...package hasn't moved since Friday. So I ordered last Wednesday and it will take 8 days for delivery and I live about 1.5 hours from the PartsExpress warehouse.

Super annoyed at the moment because this means I am likely not finishing this up until next Tuesday (Friday-Monday are all fully booked for me).

Upvote 0
EXCITER INSTALL

Got the exciters installed late last night and did about 30 minutes of test driving…feels great so far! Definitely need to tweaking positioning a little and then I will reset them with new strips of Dual Lock.

PARTS LIST

Amps (x1)Behringer EPQ304
DSP Unit (x1)t.racks DSP 4x4 Mini
Transducers (x4)Dayton Audio DAEX32EP-4 40W
Audio Cables (x2)Pro Co S12NN-25 12 AWG Speakon Speaker Cable 25 ft.
Audio Cables (x4)Mogami Neutrik XLR Male to Neutrik 1/4 Mono
Audio Cables (x2)Mogami Y cable Aux Audio 3.5mm Stereo to Dual Neutrik 1/4 L-R Audio
Connectors (x8)Molex Female Disconnects
Connectors (x2)Neutrik NL2FX
Mounting (x4)uxcell 70mm Rubber Grommet, Double-Sided Mount
Mounting3M Dual Lock SJ3550 1"

Probably missing some items above, but this is most of it.

TENATIVE FINAL INSTALL

zhKRMgx.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Made a few Black Friday purchases over the last few days:

1. SimXperience G-Belt
2. Mass drop + Sennheiser 6XX headphones
3. JDS Labs Atom amp

More details to come…waiting for everything to ship/arrive now.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back