Breaking News | Audi Announce DTM Exit

No really surprising that it is falling apart. But still shocking. The DTM was for a long time going the wrong way with there prototype touring cars. So maybe they can shift to the NGTC just like the BTTC, it is alot cheaper to run and doesn't need manufactures. Because it all done with private teams.

The truth is the DTM has not been a great series since 1992.This is not just saying the old days are better.Back then the cars were based on production cars,not much downforce & narrow tyres.Two of the most successful series now BTCC & Supercar V8s stayed with production based cars & contained costs & have big fields & are the strongest race series in their own country.DTM went for a less powerful version of F1 with roofs.To much downforce & grip & to expensive for privateers.The racing was so boring they even adopted DRS from F1.
Relaunch DTM in a few years time with the same components as Australian V8 Supercars & a V6 Turbo engine which every make has in their range.No hybrid & make it affordable for privateers.There is no reason a bigger version of TCR/BTCC should be more expensive.
This thinking also applies to WEC.The default should always be that privateers should be the backbone of the series.Unrestricted spending by Mercedes,Audi & Porsche over the years has damaged or ended many series Group 5,Group C,GT1,DTM x 2,WEC,ALMS.I am not criticizing the teams or motorsport departments,they were doing their job but the organizers should not let them spend crazy amounts.

Sounds petty but I agree, Formula E truly is the root of all evil in motorsports at the moment

Could be that the manufacturers end up bailing out Formula E.They will be the last race series to come back.They race in big cities only which have been hit harder than everywhere else with Covid 19.Formula E losses were £140m in 2019 & nearly all that money comes from sanctioning fees from cities.Could be that cities choose to spend money on their citizens instead of bigging up their green credentials by flying in the Formula E circus for the weekend.

Look, I think DTM need to try and be more like 90's DTM than Super GT (at least Super GT has multiclass racing). DTM should switch to NGTC regs imho as NGTC regs are far more open and cheaper than Class One and is more open than even TCR. The only other NGTC spec series atm is BTCC and BTCC is thriving with different teams and manufacturers entering cars.

Had it not been for some Rene Rast catching-up and beating records, DTM would have been boring (ok that one Timo Glock vs Gary Paffett Duel in Hockenheim was goddamn awesome, but that's really all)... so, maybe it's better like this.

DTM will come back one day... with a better concept. Maybe electrical, who knows.

How sad news, though I admit I haven't seen much since about 2009-2010. Jumped in when Hans-Joachim Stuck, Klaus Ludwig, Kurt Thiim, Bernd Schneider and the likes led the show in the Mercedes 190E 2,5-16V Evo, and in the 90ies watched more full seasons.
Hope DTM will survive with BMW.

Edit: thanks heaven for the Tube to refreshen my memories

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how much impact spectator and sponsor based entertainment like motor racing will suffer by this corona initiated economic recession.
And conserning Formula E then even the arabic oil producing mafia will probably be heavily impacted too - so...:whistling:

Back on topic, at least I can still race with all the DTM manufacturers in Raceroom :thumbsup::thumbsup:

But not with the current, faster Class One cars. For some reason DTM didn't continue the cooperation after the 2016 season. There was a challenge at the beginning of the 2017 season in which you could drive an updated Mercedes but that was it. Extremely sad IMO, as it would have given S3S another good reason to do the full version of Brands Hatch.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.