Automobilista Hotfix Update Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
AMS Hotfix Update.jpg

The racing sim that refuses to finish development, another 'final' update has been released...

... to be fair this is more of a hotfix to the recent, final, major build release for the still exceptional Automobilista Racing Simulator, but I just couldn't resist making reference to the seemingly endless development life of Reiza Studios AMS - a title that's gone through three different names and countless improvements to hold the lofty position in sim racers affections that it enjoys today.

This latest build, dropped to the title earlier today, is most focused on adding a few final fixes that appeared as part of the last major build update, details of which can be found below:

AMS V1.5.26 Hotfix Notes:
  • Fixed a bug that could cause rotation range not being set for older Logitech wheels in some cases; Fixed G27 LEDs not working; Added old method for rotation range adjusting, can be triggered from controller.ini
  • Fixed CTD when going out on track in some cases with direct drive wheel controllers
  • Added Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Preset
  • Snetterton: Revised AIWs; Added garage walls & detais; draw distance adjustments; Adjusted pit & start lights; Racing groove & other minor graphical updates
  • Puma Series: Added multiple performances to puma series
  • F-Classic: Fixed mistakenly commited audio experiment
  • SuperV8: Replaced Plasto Racing Team with Scuderia Basilea

An epic sim - long live AMS!

Automobilista is available now exclusively for PC.

For news and discussions about this PC exclusive racing simulator, head on over to the AMS sub forum here at RaceDepartment and keep in touch with everything Automobilista. If news isnt enough to quench your AMS thirst, why not sign up for a race in our Automobilista Racing Club? Fun times, great racing and an epic community - check it out here.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

It really is an amazing experience, just missing some of the sexier bells and whistles to attain the popularity that the driving experience deserves.

As an aside, the Reiza developed tracks are freaking gorgeous in their own way. Yeah, they kind of look like rFactor graphics, but the best damned rFactor graphics you have ever seen. Lots of attention to detail, everything is very smooth and nicely proportioned.

It really is an amazing experience, just missing some of the sexier bells and whistles to attain the popularity that the driving experience deserves.

As an aside, the Reiza developed tracks are freaking gorgeous in their own way. Yeah, they kind of look like rFactor graphics, but the best damned rFactor graphics you have ever seen. Lots of attention to detail, everything is very smooth and nicely proportioned.
They have added quite some custom shaders and core updates to make it look and feel a lot better than rF1 ever did.

BP

Premium
Recently fired up AMS after getting my G-sync Triples Setup...holy crap! :D

Racing the Formula V10's at 144Hz with a full grid is an experience like none other. People say AMS looks outdated...I say it looks good enough to matter and definitely runs light enough to keep things liquid smooth at all times; I'd much rather slightly dated visuals with consistently high & smooth FPS vs. jaw dropping graphics + low & unstable FPS. Crank the AA to the max and it still runs amazing on my system.

Long Live AMS indeed :thumbsup:

P.S. is today the universal sim racing update day? Almost every title had an update it seems :roflmao:

Last edited:
AMS is without a doubt the best overall "Racing" simulator. It's simply the best complete package available!Great track selection , plenty of various vehicles and Reiza took the time to fine tune the Artificial Intelligence to a level never thought possible given the issues they inherited with the original RFactor game engine.
As far as I'm concerned all Reiza needed to do with Automobilista 2 is convert AMS like RFactor 2 did , to Direct X 11 for a nice graphical refresh with VR support and to implement an AI defensive driving line to further enhance the overall racing experience. That's It ! We as consumers would have the absolute top of the line Sim that would make everyone happy. The modding community would still be able to make the best mods possible , the average racer could download / pay for some of the best mods available for any game and enjoy the purest / most developed Artificial Intelligence available in any Sm ( Yes that includes RFactor 2 )

Last edited:
1. I haven't tested this hotfix but, according to the notes, it looks like Reiza still haven't fixed the bug where the graphical steering rotation of cars in replays is what the last car was set to. Eg. You just finished playing a kart with 180 degrees of rotation. You go watch a Porsche replay and the Porsche is visually using 180 degrees.

Another thing I was really looking forward to is Reiza reverting AMS back to before they put a visual lock on the replay's steering angle (except cockpit view where there's no lock). Seeing the steerin come to a dead stop and small amounts of lock like in iRacing and Gran Turismo looks really bad. Seeing a driver's arms & hands working the wheel is a beautiful sight to me...AMS replays have never given me the same thrill, immersion, and joy since Reiza locked this. Disabling the lock in the PLR file does not work.

P.S. If any of those points have changed, I'll make sure to edit this post so as to avoid spreading misinformation.

Anybody else having problems in drift mode? Game crashes to desktop during initial laps in drift mode. I also get zero FFB if i pick Lancer Evo Drift or SuperV8 Drift. FFB seems to work only with Chevy Montana Drift among these three... Drift mode is simply unplayable for me.

Wheel: G29

I own just about every other racing sim out there...sans the Codemasters and WRC stuff.
AMS...to me anyway, offers the most accurate feel where slide correction is concerned.
It offers a very natural response to steering inputs when the car breaks traction.
No other sim comes close to that reaction.
They all tend to make the car snap with very limited option to correct.

Last edited:
An hotfix coming from Reiza in the next days, hold on!

They may not address the no ffb issue with mod cars. Seems that the new support for direct drive wheels has changed the code.

The issue is steeringFFBmulti=0 in the mod HDV or in the upgrade.ini. If the ffbmulti is set to 0 then the FFB output signal is not generated, or its attenuated... or something bad happens!

FFBmulti is a legacy variable that is no longer (99%) used by AMS. Its my understanding that the current default value is steeringFFBmulti=2.

I had mod cars that were broken, but a quick edit to the HDV or upgrade.ini solves the problem.

Cheers

They may not address the no ffb issue with mod cars. Seems that the new support for direct drive wheels has changed the code.

The issue is steeringFFBmulti=0 in the mod HDV or in the upgrade.ini. If the ffbmulti is set to 0 then the FFB output signal is not generated, or its attenuated... or something bad happens!

FFBmulti is a legacy variable that is no longer (99%) used by AMS. Its my understanding that the current default value is steeringFFBmulti=2.

I had mod cars that were broken, but a quick edit to the HDV or upgrade.ini solves the problem.

Cheers

Can we start putting together a list of which mods are affected? That way the authors can confirm whether they will do updates or if we should just do our own.

I never used Drift cars (beyond a 10-minute test of them after they were released just to see what they were like), but tested this latest error to help Reiza. On my Fanatec wheel, I still got very weak FFB driving the Mitsu. Then got the CTD to confirm that, too, and haven't gone back in.

Getting all manner of controllers to work harmoniously while also including all the special features of the various controllers is (and has been) a nightmare for Reiza. No wonder many devs, including some of the big rich ones, don't even bother to try.

Getting all manner of controllers to work harmoniously while also including all the special features of the various controllers is (and has been) a nightmare for Reiza. No wonder many devs, including some of the big rich ones, don't even bother to try.
I always thought to myself why don't developers just implement auto steering rotation from within the game that way it doesn't matter what wheel the user has? That way there's no connection needed with the wheel's driver. The game should just make it clear to all users to set their wheel to 900 degrees then the game applies it's own stops at whatever degree the used car uses.

Other than requiring the user to set their wheel to 900 degrees, this method:
- has little-to-no chance of errors/bugs
- doesn't rely on having to program support for wheels let alone specific support for all the different brands/models available
- will not stop working nor require updating if something changes on the wheel manufacturer's side (eg. driver update).

Other than making sure to set your wheel to 900 degrees, wouldn't this be the simplest, lowest-chance-of-failure, most universal method to auto-control steering-lock?

I always thought to myself why don't developers just implement auto steering rotation from within the game that way it doesn't matter what wheel the user has? That way there's no connection needed with the wheel's driver. The game should just make it clear to all users to set their wheel to 900 degrees then the game applies it's own stops at whatever degree the used car uses.
I'm probably missing something, but how would a developer make that work for someone like me that has a wheel with ~200 degrees of physical rotation lock to lock?

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 89 19.1%
  • €151-500

Votes: 123 26.3%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 80 17.1%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 9.0%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 46 9.9%
  • €3001-5000