Automobilista 2: New Preview Video Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Not satisfied with the last Automobilista 2 video footage? Well wrap your eyes around this one...

Reiza Studios recently revealed a new comparison video of the developing Automobilista 2 simulation, showing the game in direct comparison to its older brother AMS 1, and featuring the work-in-progress Snetterton Circuit in the UK.

Despite obviously being a significant upgrade over the original title, many fans were a little underwhelmed by how development of Automobilista 2 looked to be progressing from a visual point of view, something that Reiza Studios have acknowledged when reading the comments section of the various articles featuring the July roadmap post.

Having another shot at wowing the crowds, Reiza have recently dropped a much improved video of the Ultima GTR lapping around the Snetterton track in various time of day conditions - and it's fair to say the visual improvements are considerable...

Capture has a higher bitrate which is more accurate to the game´s actual graphical quality" said Reiza Studios Renato Simioni.

Other differences in this new video include improvements to track lighting, updated road and foliage shaders, revised textures; smoothed cockpit model edges & updated materials; adjustments to audio code, rebalancing of engine sounds and various sound effects (also replacing a few placeholders used in the original video); updated physics and increased game graphical settings.

Should be stated perhaps that this still isn´t the most exciting car / track combo or settings to promote AMS2 which wasn´t really the point of the original video - obviously we miscalculated how closely people would be looking!

This is a better representation of AMS2 in its current stage of development but it´s still a WIP - things will change as we progress to release and continue to afterwards. Such is the nature of the thing...

So, what do you think?

AMS 2 Image 6.jpg

Automobilista 2 will release for PC December 2019.

For the latest Automobilista 2 news and discussions, head over to the AMS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get yourself involved in the conversation today!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
IMO end result is what matters, and inevitably the physics engine, and the utilization of it are equally important. And after that we can skew and ruin everything with stupid FFB settings and stupid expectations and no understanding whatsoever :D

It is sometimes very hard to talk about expected car handling, because once it seems that you are talking about same things, but later realize that you are talking about different things in same way, or using too much subjective talk. Well mostly subjective when having no numbers, no graphs....

I love the "feel " of AMS and I love the graphics of PC2...the two together could be amazing. I think many people confuse FF through the wheel with realistic physics. Ideally, realistic physics should transmit through the wheel. However, there are so many variables involved. Personally, if the FF "feels" realistic I enjoy a game...but for all I know the Telemetry data may show that the car is handling much differently than it should.
Has anyone ever compared telemetry data between sims and real life... that to me would be very beneficial. I assume they try to do this during development correct? It would be interesting to compare different sims. Does a different driving style work better in some sims than others ? Which is more realistic? This is not on topic though, sorry

:roflmao:, I imagine a new racing title title from with Unreal Engine 4.... i like Batman Arkham City who use the same engine. However, i see more comments about the engine than the content of the game. Even with an older graphic engine we can see nice thing (Quake II).

The engine is important but the content is the base of the game. Also, we can't consider Racing Game as the more important game part in the world in comparaison of soccer title, it's not Need For Speed game, if the content and the direction of the studio is nice, let's go race ;)

Oh, i hope, Who has played Automobilista 2 so far? nobody ? so wait :)
I guess we know more or less what we will get in terms of base game content. Hopefully most of AMS 1 content, especially the tracks. Hoping for the odd car to keep classic race car fans happy also.

My only advice to people is to NOT PREORDER. That has become the Achilles heal of gamers and sim racers alike. All of what is said above is conjecture. Look at ACC, no proper triple screen support in a driving sim. Look at Dirt Rally 2. Selling Dirt Rally 1 content as premium content.
Consumers are being taken for a ride all the time in this industry and the only way to put a stop to it is to get the answers to the questions we all have before we put any money down.

Absolutely. Never pre-order a game. That's like giving in to your impulse-buy urges and then getting salty cause it's not what it was "supposed to be". You bought what they're selling at a glance. You got fooled pretty easily too

Guys, to sum up this thread:

It´s nice that Reiza let us see the improved visuals of Automobilista 2 compared to Automobilista 1 while
it is being developed. And, obviously, the new game must be graphically superior to the old one. But,
what really matters is the great physics that they will carry on from Automobilista 1, and hopefully even
enhance.

But, for a new game developed in 2019, we should demand, and in order to buy it, at least a graphical
level of detail equal or even better to Project Cars 2, and also because the GFX engine is the same
used for this game; and let´s not forget that Project Cars is already a few years old game...

Now, personally, if Automobilista 2 doesn´t meet this demand for me, I think I´ll probally buy it simply
because if it had the same physics as Automobilista 1 has, it would be a great Sim too, an improved
version of the wonderful original Automobilista, but with a bit better graphics.

For me, the physics is the most important part, but hey... beautiful detailed moderm graphics is a plus,
a desirable feature. So, I hope Reiza can at least match the detailing gorgeous graphics of Project
Cars 2 (finger crossed).

Thanks Renato, thanks Reiza, for these updates, and keep up the good work!

I dunno about you lot but if the cars sound pretty immersive, that's a good thing that makes me want to drive it. Take Raceroom it has a great sound design. Physics and FFB...should not be a deal/immersion breaker, and bugs shouldn't ruin the experience. The package and its glowing features should just work to keep ya driving. At this point, that's how any sim will hook me

• Deleted member 197115

Is there a list of planned licensed cars and tracks that will be included?
Are any licences acquired already?

But he likes AMS1 graphics so I don't think he will be happy. You can't please all the people ....

AMS1 will still exist when AMS2 comes out so perhaps you can. I still regularly drive GT Legends and GTR2.

I will be driving AMS "1" for a long time due to the wider selection of (mod) tracks. AMS 2 will beat it for realism and immersion, though, so luckily will have both to enjoy.

Last edited:
Looks pretty good, tho still a bit murkier/blurrier when it comes to track/grass graphics than current AMS. It feels as if Anisotropic Filtering is set to low. Maybe it's the shaders or textures, or something else, but it's definitely still not as sharp as the good old engine.

Or YouTube video compression is making things look a little murky and blurry. I don't think a YouTube video will ever look as good as the original game looks on your own PC.

80% of the cars and tracks will be the same !!!! pay for better graphics for the same ????

There is of course some truth in this. You can say the same thing about ACC, or back in the day - GTR2.

But looking a little deeper you are getting weather, fully dynamic track, improved physics, and the option of VR to go along with the improved graphics.

Only you can decide if that's worth it.

@Spinelli You have made your mission to criticize game engines for this for years now, and i am arguing the point that it's NOT the game engine per se, it's the implementation of said cars.

The way how Reiza never mentions these complaints makes me think their physics department is aware there is a core issue for which there seems to be no easy and simple fix. I think it is almost impossible to tell where the problem stems from. It could be anything from calculation errors in the inertia component, to incorrect simplifications in drivetrain and differential modeling or the tire model itself. Or wrong human placebo expectations of race car handling. And what makes it almost impossible for Spinelli or others to properly prove or disprove his point is that we do not have access to verification data from real cars and experiments. But it seemed to me there are major changes in AMS2.

There is of course some truth in this. You can say the same thing about ACC, or back in the day - GTR2.

But looking a little deeper you are getting weather, fully dynamic track, improved physics, and the option of VR to go along with the improved graphics.

Only you can decide if that's worth it.

That's a good reply and a good list but you missed a massive selling point, assuming the game hits the ground running and grows with word of mouth to find a new audience. Active mulitplayer lobbies on a Reiza game. As much as I've enjoyed AMS the prospect of drop in full grid races in Brazillian Stock Cars, Mini's, Super V8's, Boxer Cup, Formula Classic etc etc is simply mouth watering. I don't care if it's a lot of it is content I've experienced before, being able to race online with some of the best vehicles in sims will make it worth every penny.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea