Automobilista 2 | Early Access Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have today deployed the first official Early Access build for their new Automobilista 2 racing simulation.

It's here folks! A new build of the much anticipated Automobilista 2, now publicly available in Steam Early Access has landed!

Release announcement in full:

Automobilista 2 is finally here! We are very excited to be able to share what we have been working on all this time.

Please note that as an Early Access release the game is not yet complete - Time Trial & Championship mode are currently disabled but should become available over the first few weeks of Early Access.

Below are some further known common issues and limitations of:this initial release:
  • UI & HUD are still deep in development, and currently feature the essentials for all game modes to work - this will be expanded with new options & features over the course of EA, with same pages being completely redesigned.
  • Early Access is exclusively in English for the time being; Localization to other languages should only be added in time for the full Release.
  • Driver names, suits and helmets are generic for all series as the whole system is being reestructured (also part of requirements for a revamped Opponents settings and the Custom Championship Tool);
  • All 3D driver animations are still placeholders and may not fully fit the car yet;
  • Other Car-related 3D animations have not been exported which mean suspension arms are graphically static, damage is very limited and wiper are not operational
  • Some series still have WIP or placeholder liveries - these will be updated or expanded over the course of Early Access

The are many other substantial updates to every front of the game planned for Automobilista 2 throughout Early Access and beyond - we´ll be posting regular updates to inform what´s coming up the pipeline as we progress.

AMS 2 EA Release.jpg

FORCE FEEDBACK

Default FFB settings are designed for Logitech G2X series - if you have wheels with stronger motors you should scale those settings down to avoid clipping.

A more detailed guide for FFB settings will follow up soon.

AMS 2 EA Release 2.jpg

FOR THOSE WITH AMS2 BETA INSTALLED

Upon this release AMS2 BETA owners will have two AMS2 apps in their Steam library - the Beta and this Main Release.

Both apps will be the same as of tonight and for the next few days until the next AMS2 Beta update (which may or may not be also deployed to AMS2 Main depending on the importance of the updates).

If you are an exclusively offline racer there is no reason to install the Main Release of AMS2 - you may continue using exclusively AMS2 Beta. If however you plan to race online or run Time Trial mode when it becomes available with non-Beta users, you must install the Main Release.

If you have further questions about AMS2, please make sure to check on our AMS2 FAQ here

Remember folks, although the simulation has moved from closed beta status, the title is still very much in Early Access state. Don't load up expecting a fully realised and finished title just yet, but I'm sure you will agree with me that the road to V1 status is going to be an exciting journey...

AMS 2 is available now via Steam Early Access.

Having trouble with the game? Post a new thread in the AMS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and our exceptional community will help you out!

Last edited:
Just had an hour on the early access game. First impressions:

The graphics are well optimised in a variety of conditions and the game is averaging around 100fps on at 2K resolution with my AMD 3600/5700XT combo. The problems with the AA which I could never fully resolve in PCars2 are gone, I just put it on the highest multi sampling setting and it looks great with no bad jaggies. The lighting at various times of day is atmospheric and the tracks and cars look very good. Overall surprised in a positive way.

The game detected my TS-XW wheel, Clubsport V3 pedals and TH8 RS shifter with no additional setup required. I just had to map the controls accordingly. FFB is a step up from PCars2 again although I did find I needed to tweak between cars to get an ideal wheel weight and feeling.

Most of the essential options are already in place and a lot of the content from AMS1 is there to use too, which is a good thing. I always liked the varied content available rather than the same old tracks that all other games seem to have. The UI is adequate but has a distinct PCars2 feel to it and I did stumble across a few bugs in the menus, such as weather and time of day settings not applying correctly.

The gameplay was a mixed bag. Some of the cars felt really good and very much like AMS1, such as the Brazilian Stock Car. Other cars had that strange feeling of pivoting around the centre point that many PCars2 cars had. I'm sure Reiza have plenty of work left to do on physics so not too concerned about this yet. After all AMS1 took a few years to become the excellent title it is.

Overall its a very solid start with a lot of promise. As usual how much potential is unlocked is down to the devs. If previous history has taught me anything, its that Reiza can work wonders with this title given time and funding.

My impressions...

Graphics: on par with rfactor 2. Better than ACC, not as good as iracing.
Sound: better than rfactor 2. One has the feeling to really be there.. more vivid and alife. But ACC still king
Physics and fbb: depends on the car... Really like the f-trainer and p3. Many cars are still far from realistic
VR: good. On par with rfactor 2. Some grayish shine in it (like a bit of fog, even when set to sunny)
AI: needs work. Many accidents, cars going airborne, shocks and jolts do not seem realistic (in the ffb), a lot of wavering (going left and right without reason)
Runs fine in VR (valve Index with oversampling 150) with 15 cars on a AMD 3600/GTX 2080 super

So lots of promise!!!

Purchased and downloading it now. Do Beta testers have any track/car combinations that are recommended to start with (i.e. those that are furthest along in terms of development)?

That's personal preference but have been enjoying these:

Ultima GTR Race @ Kensai (Suzuka) and Imola 1972
Brazilian Stockcar and SuperV8 @ Spielberg 1974 (or any track that is fast)
Sprint Car @ Donington
Metalmoro AJR @ Spielberg GP
VIR is an excellent track for testing cars
the Roco (P3 category) is worth testing although did not spend much time with it yet

For dramatic lighting use light or medium cloudy in the morning. Experimenting with various weather / time of day combo is very fun and can result in stunning visuals. You can have half of a track in shadows and the other in the sun for example.

Last edited:
Purchased and downloading it now. Do Beta testers have any track/car combinations that are recommended to start with (i.e. those that are furthest along in terms of development)?

SuperV8 at Speilberg (Red Bull Ring) is fun, last time i drove there the AI was half decent pace but that was before last updates went in.

Stock Car (forget the actual name, the Brazilian one!) at Montreal is a handful but in a good way.

SprintRace cars are great fun on just about any track!

That's personal preference but have been enjoying these:

Ultima GTR Race @ Kensai (Suzuka) and Imola 1972
Brazilian Stockcar and SuperV8 @ Spielberg 1974 (or any track that is fast)
Sprint Car @ Donington
Metalmoro AJR @ Spielberg GP
Most cars are great for testing @ VIR
the Roco (P3 category) is worth testing although did not spend much time with it yet

For dramatic lighting use light or medium cloudy in the morning. Experimenting with various weather / time of day combo is very fun and can result in stunning visuals.

Caterham Superlight at Oulton Park International maybe, or Stock Car Brasil at Interlagos.^^

SuperV8 at Speilberg (Red Bull Ring) is fun, last time i drove there the AI was half decent pace but that was before last updates went in.

Stock Car (forget the actual name, the Brazilian one!) at Montreal is a handful but in a good way.

SprintRace cars are great fun on just about any track!
Many thanks folks!

My impressions...

Graphics: on par with rfactor 2. Better than ACC, not as good as iracing.
Sound: better than rfactor 2. One has the feeling to really be there.. more vivid and alife. But ACC still king
Physics and fbb: depends on the car... Really like the f-trainer and p3. Many cars are still far from realistic
VR: good. On par with rfactor 2. Some grayish shine in it (like a bit of fog, even when set to sunny)
AI: needs work. Many accidents, cars going airborne, shocks and jolts do not seem realistic (in the ffb), a lot of wavering (going left and right without reason)
Runs fine in VR (valve Index with oversampling 150) with 15 cars on a AMD 3600/GTX 2080 super

So lots of promise!!!
Graphics:
On par with an ancient relic of a sim
Better than the industry standard
Not as good as an ancient relic of a sim
Head explodes

I'm gonna try one
Physics:
On a par with Pcars 2
Better than ACC
Not as good as Pcars 1

After trying the Early Access, I have 3 comments to add to this thread.
  1. It is amazing how we can apparently all be playing the same game but at the same have such a very different experience. I am assuming every one here is candid and tell it how they see it.
  2. We have to be forever grateful for steam to allow us to download any game and try it for our self. Relaying on the 'community" feedback is totally useless, at least to me it is useless. Well, ok, maybe not totally useless as it is still mildly entertaining.
  3. I wish all the luck they can get to Reiza for tackling the challenge and hope it will be a success for them.

After trying the Early Access, I have 3 comments to add to this thread.
  1. It is amazing how we can apparently all playing the same game but at the same have such a very different experience. I am assuming every one here is candid and tell it how they see it.
  2. We have to be forever grateful for steam to allow us to download any game and try it for our self. Relaying on the 'community" feedback is totally useless, at least to me it is useless. Well, ok, maybe not totally useless as it is still mildly entertaining.
  3. I wish all the luck they can get to Reiza for tackling the challenge and hope it will be a success for them.
I have read your steam review.

I looked at the carlist and I got upset.

Maybe I want too much, but if in this game for example DTM 2019 / ADAC Masters 2019 - it would be an instant purchase.

Too bad there are no official championships. I can not say that I would like to see the GT3/4 - it is everywhere, but I certainly do not like imaginary cars.

I'll wait for the 90s DTM.
None of the cars in this game are imaginary. They're either real licensed cars or real unlicensed cars.

I'm on the fence about that game, mainly because of the cars included in the game. They just don't appeal to me. Brazilian stock cars don't mean anything to me: I never watched that championship and don't plan to. Lots of historical cars that I don't care much for. The only interest for me would be the track selection. Also, I already spend lots of time with ACC, ETS and R3E. So, I'll wait for more reviews when the game is no longer in EA.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 94 91.3%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 12 11.7%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 35 34.0%