Automobilista 2 | Early Access Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have today deployed the first official Early Access build for their new Automobilista 2 racing simulation.

It's here folks! A new build of the much anticipated Automobilista 2, now publicly available in Steam Early Access has landed!

Release announcement in full:

Automobilista 2 is finally here! We are very excited to be able to share what we have been working on all this time.

Please note that as an Early Access release the game is not yet complete - Time Trial & Championship mode are currently disabled but should become available over the first few weeks of Early Access.

Below are some further known common issues and limitations of:this initial release:
  • UI & HUD are still deep in development, and currently feature the essentials for all game modes to work - this will be expanded with new options & features over the course of EA, with same pages being completely redesigned.
  • Early Access is exclusively in English for the time being; Localization to other languages should only be added in time for the full Release.
  • Driver names, suits and helmets are generic for all series as the whole system is being reestructured (also part of requirements for a revamped Opponents settings and the Custom Championship Tool);
  • All 3D driver animations are still placeholders and may not fully fit the car yet;
  • Other Car-related 3D animations have not been exported which mean suspension arms are graphically static, damage is very limited and wiper are not operational
  • Some series still have WIP or placeholder liveries - these will be updated or expanded over the course of Early Access

The are many other substantial updates to every front of the game planned for Automobilista 2 throughout Early Access and beyond - we´ll be posting regular updates to inform what´s coming up the pipeline as we progress.

AMS 2 EA Release.jpg

FORCE FEEDBACK

Default FFB settings are designed for Logitech G2X series - if you have wheels with stronger motors you should scale those settings down to avoid clipping.

A more detailed guide for FFB settings will follow up soon.

AMS 2 EA Release 2.jpg

FOR THOSE WITH AMS2 BETA INSTALLED

Upon this release AMS2 BETA owners will have two AMS2 apps in their Steam library - the Beta and this Main Release.

Both apps will be the same as of tonight and for the next few days until the next AMS2 Beta update (which may or may not be also deployed to AMS2 Main depending on the importance of the updates).

If you are an exclusively offline racer there is no reason to install the Main Release of AMS2 - you may continue using exclusively AMS2 Beta. If however you plan to race online or run Time Trial mode when it becomes available with non-Beta users, you must install the Main Release.

If you have further questions about AMS2, please make sure to check on our AMS2 FAQ here

Remember folks, although the simulation has moved from closed beta status, the title is still very much in Early Access state. Don't load up expecting a fully realised and finished title just yet, but I'm sure you will agree with me that the road to V1 status is going to be an exciting journey...

AMS 2 is available now via Steam Early Access.

Having trouble with the game? Post a new thread in the AMS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and our exceptional community will help you out!

Last edited:
Tested a little bit.

What is bothering me is the camera shaking so much, moving up and down over hills even though I set movement of everything to zero.

Over sensitive brakes, you touch the brakes and the wheels lock right away, I cannot understand the decision behind such a thing, since cars should not behave like that.

It's also a shame I don't have a shifter, feels like I cannot properly use most cars.
Zero'ing the camera-movement settings is not the way to go imo. I find it's better to strike a balance between them, or leave them at the defaults.

Thanks for your answer. But my problem is that my Paddleshifters get recognized while I set it up in menu but wont work in the sim. Do you know maybe why? Have I done anything wrong?
Absolutely no idea lol.

Zero'ing the camera-movement settings is not the way to go imo. I find it's better to strike a balance between them, or leave them at the defaults.
That's not the point. The point is it shakes and moves way too much, even at zero.

I’ve criticized a lot the physics on the beta forum and for sure I will continue, but... make yourself a favor and buy this sim now!

There are low and high, nevertheless it improved so much in just a few weeks that I’m sure it will be a great experience in the long run.

Reiza guys deserve your support, no matter if some money will go to Ian Bell...:D

To Clarify AMS2 FFB settings:

Low Force Boost (LFB): is needed for best results - even with DD-wheels. Otherwise, you are likely to experience some very exaggerated forces during hard cornering with cars that have high down-force / strong FFB / or currently lack stable setup's (bouncy). Such forces may be very strong when using a DD-wheel so start out with very low gain (20-25%) when using high power levels in the hardware driver settings.

• I suggest lowering Gain initially, leave LFB and FX at default (50%), and test various cars from there.
  • Striking a good balance between the Gain & Low Force Boost settings is key for best results.
  • FX: controls Tire Scrub effect / Brake-lock effect / Engine Vibration (generally limited to idle range).

- This is EA, so many things are still very much work in progress. In particular AI.
- If you expect a finished game up to the level of polish of existing multi-year sims, that's not it
- if you expect a career or championship mode or more gamey modes, they are not there (championship planned). So it's just you vs a track vs AI (or multiplayer, which is also very much work in progress)
- If you weren't interested in AMS1 content, you won't either in AMS2 (although more mainstream content is planned)
- Make sure to properly setup your wheel (including FFB) before making judgements. That will more than likely require experimenting with FFB settings. Make sure your wheel has the proper degree of rotation for each car (check that it matches the in-cockpit wheel)
- I also advise to try various car / track / time of day / weather combos before forming a full opinion. Avoid to be that guy that can tell in 10 minutes. Stuff can start to click with a specific car / track combo
=> If you gave it a good try with an open mind and do not like it in current state that's OK. Make sure to try it out again in 3 or 6 months. The improvements during the 1 month of beta have been great, so keep that in mind!
This! I'm seeing so many "reviews" from people who tried the Early Access for an hour, and then concluded that it's boring, or it's the same as Project CARS 2, etc. An hour of any title is not enough to reach a solid conclusion, especially a simulation. If people put in 10 hours or more over multiple tracks and with various cars after some tweaking of the game, then fine. But quite a few people are just loading up an incomplete game and writing it off.

This! I'm seeing so many "reviews" from people who tried the Early Access for an hour, and then concluded that it's boring, or it's the same as Project CARS 2, etc. An hour of any title is not enough to reach a solid conclusion, especially a simulation. If people put in 10 hours or more over multiple tracks and with various cars after some tweaking of the game, then fine. But quite a few people are just loading up an incomplete game and writing it off.

Couldn't agree more, shame the familiar names here at RD are the ones putting up said Bad Reviews with less than an hour played. A sad indictment of the "want it all and want it now and if I don't like it then it must suck and I must tell everyone" mentality, my Ignore button needs a rest!

I went to write a review myself but I've not played AMS2 yet, whereas the Beta has 17hours...! I'll do one when the box flashes up in Steam, if just to counter the incredibly patheic Bad Reviews from the incompetent usual suspects!

On the contrary m8.
Years ago I tried AC1, and it hooked me on the first lap driving wise.
After 2 hours really trying hard to like it, AMS 2 left me rather cold, driving wise.

On the contrary m8.
Years ago I tried AC1, and it hooked me on the first lap driving wise.
After 2 hours really trying hard to like it, AMS 2 left me rather cold, driving wise.
Right, but that speaks to my point. I'm not saying that you can't like a sim after 2 hours, but it probably wouldn't be fair to say you've understood the breadth of that sim, or know it well enough to write a review. You can definitely like a sim after 2 hours, but your opinion will likely shift for the better or worse as you understand more about it over time.

• Deleted member 197115

Couldn't agree more, shame the familiar names here at RD are the ones putting up said Bad Reviews with less than an hour played. A sad indictment of the "want it all and want it now and if I don't like it then it must suck and I must tell everyone" mentality, my Ignore button needs a rest!

I went to write a review myself but I've not played AMS2 yet, whereas the Beta has 17hours...! I'll do one when the box flashes up in Steam, if just to counter the incredibly patheic Bad Reviews from the incompetent usual suspects!
So people with own brains and different opinion from yours are just pathetic and incompetent?
Okay.

What I really appreciate about AMS2 ( first played yesterday ), is how predictable the cars behave once you lose traction - it feels quite natural to get the car back under control. I find iRacing and rF2 to be generally quite good in this regard, while with AC / ACC, it's almost as if your front tires turn to ice for 1.3 s. Maybe it's me.

Thrustmaster T500 RS

[ EDIT ]
Also great looking game. The weather and time of day and headlights and those ****ing puddles!
Over 60 FPS on my Ryzen5 2600x, GTX 970, 32 GB RAM, SSD, etc, etc

(emphasis mine)

It's not just you. This is one of the points that (some) people can't quite get over, and AIUI it was a very deliberate design goal of the MADNESS Seta Tyre Model to accurately model how the contact patch behaves across the stick -> semi-slip -> slip-regimen and back.

People used to certain other sims will tell you that it feels different to said sims (and some can't quite get wrap their heads around it because it feels wrong compared to what they're used to).

People used to tracking and racing real cars frequently mention that the behaviour matches reasonably well with how they lean on their cars -- and recover from too-much-slip -- in real life.

So people with own brains and different opinion from yours are just pathetic and incompetent?
Okay.
I don't want to speak on behalf of MarcG, but for me I think it's myopic to say a title is good or bad before exploring much of it.

I like AMS2, but I know lots of people who don't. And if their position is that the tried a bunch of different scenarios, and the game just holds no value to them, then it's a perfectly credible opinion. Equally credible to someone saying they've played it a lot and they like it. But think of how little you can do in a new racing sim in an hour. I can barely get my inputs, FOV and FFB set in that amount of time. So it brings in to question how much someone saying that AMS2 is great or terrible with only a couple of hours played can be trusted.

(emphasis mine)

It's not just you. This is one of the points that (some) people can't quite get over, and AIUI it was a very deliberate design goal of the MADNESS Seta Tyre Model to accurately model how the contact patch behaves across the stick -> semi-slip -> slip-regimen and back.

People used to certain other sims will tell you that it feels different to said sims (and some can't quite get wrap their heads around it because it feels wrong compared to what they're used to).

People used to tracking and racing real cars frequently mention that the behaviour matches reasonably well with how they lean on their cars -- and recover from too-much-slip -- in real life.
And others driving and tracking say that the Madness Engine is just completely wrong in displaying a tire on the egde. But yeah...

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 409 69.2%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 259 43.8%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 278 47.0%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 122 20.6%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 163 27.6%
Back