Automobilista 2 | Early Access Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have today deployed the first official Early Access build for their new Automobilista 2 racing simulation.

It's here folks! A new build of the much anticipated Automobilista 2, now publicly available in Steam Early Access has landed!

Release announcement in full:

Automobilista 2 is finally here! We are very excited to be able to share what we have been working on all this time.

Please note that as an Early Access release the game is not yet complete - Time Trial & Championship mode are currently disabled but should become available over the first few weeks of Early Access.

Below are some further known common issues and limitations of:this initial release:
  • UI & HUD are still deep in development, and currently feature the essentials for all game modes to work - this will be expanded with new options & features over the course of EA, with same pages being completely redesigned.
  • Early Access is exclusively in English for the time being; Localization to other languages should only be added in time for the full Release.
  • Driver names, suits and helmets are generic for all series as the whole system is being reestructured (also part of requirements for a revamped Opponents settings and the Custom Championship Tool);
  • All 3D driver animations are still placeholders and may not fully fit the car yet;
  • Other Car-related 3D animations have not been exported which mean suspension arms are graphically static, damage is very limited and wiper are not operational
  • Some series still have WIP or placeholder liveries - these will be updated or expanded over the course of Early Access

The are many other substantial updates to every front of the game planned for Automobilista 2 throughout Early Access and beyond - we´ll be posting regular updates to inform what´s coming up the pipeline as we progress.

AMS 2 EA Release.jpg

FORCE FEEDBACK

Default FFB settings are designed for Logitech G2X series - if you have wheels with stronger motors you should scale those settings down to avoid clipping.

A more detailed guide for FFB settings will follow up soon.

AMS 2 EA Release 2.jpg

FOR THOSE WITH AMS2 BETA INSTALLED

Upon this release AMS2 BETA owners will have two AMS2 apps in their Steam library - the Beta and this Main Release.

Both apps will be the same as of tonight and for the next few days until the next AMS2 Beta update (which may or may not be also deployed to AMS2 Main depending on the importance of the updates).

If you are an exclusively offline racer there is no reason to install the Main Release of AMS2 - you may continue using exclusively AMS2 Beta. If however you plan to race online or run Time Trial mode when it becomes available with non-Beta users, you must install the Main Release.

If you have further questions about AMS2, please make sure to check on our AMS2 FAQ here

Remember folks, although the simulation has moved from closed beta status, the title is still very much in Early Access state. Don't load up expecting a fully realised and finished title just yet, but I'm sure you will agree with me that the road to V1 status is going to be an exciting journey...

AMS 2 is available now via Steam Early Access.

Having trouble with the game? Post a new thread in the AMS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and our exceptional community will help you out!

Last edited:
Content is 7/10. That's a personal opinion and it won't be objective. I like Stock car, V8(its Holden?) and Fromula V12/10. I'm not interested in anything else, just waiting for DTM. Stock Car is very nice.
Try the sprint races if you like DTM, probably the best car of this EA for online races

About brakes, while i'm not having problem myself (but i have a faulty potentiometer on my brake since months, so i'm used to compensate for strange brakes behaviours), i think you should start to not brake as hard as you can every time: as in pCars2 brake sensitivity varies a lot with ambient temp, brake ducts settings, driven laps, distance from last corner, etc, so you should aim to press the brake to something between 60 to 100% depending on corner and then modulate it, expecially during shifts.
I also find a lot of cars to have the brake balance too much on the front, i suggest to move it more to the rear to avoid locks.

EDIT: BTW one of the first things i always do is put brake pressure to 100%, why not have all potential braking power available? Just learn to correctly use it!

Last edited:
In Project CARS 2, the UDP feed is broadcasted to the whole network. This can cause issues if your router can't handle all the traffic. Unfortunately, there is no way to set a destination IP.
Unfortunately it seems like this is not functioning in the game’s current EA state.

I ran Wireshark on a secondary machine and it sees no game traffic at all coming from the system I have the game installed on. Wireshark does see other traffic coming from my game PC just fine when I capture, both directed and broadcast. There is just nothing from AMS 2. The game PC and the Wireshark system are both on same LAN segment, both hardwired Ethernet.

For reference, I did the following:
a) Configured the game with Shared Memory=Project Cars 2, UDP Frequency= 4, UDP Protocol Version=Project Cars 2
b) Quit & restarted the game
c) Started packet capture on the Wireshark machine
d) Entered a test session
e) Started driving, did out lap, two complete laps, in lap

The only thing coming from my game machine was a Windows networking announcement, and attempted ARP requests to find my powered-off printer.

I think, it definetly should be taken seriously. If all those people have a problem there, it is worth looking into it.

But on the other side, it should also be clear, that there are simple solutions, like the brake pressure adjustment in the setup screen and handling temps on the car, like you've said and maybe revise the own driving style, because this is also something, i've encountered in ACC, for example, where less ABS is less braking distance, but also punishment with wrong braking application and those are GT3 cars, so not the most difficult car.

In ACC, if you turn ABS off, tires look up in a similar way AMS 2 do. May be not as soon I think, but it lock ups a lot, so if you are accostumed to ABS braking, yes it can seems wrong at first.

I had the brake sensitivity problem with my T3PA pedals. I turned linearity to 0% and needed to adjust brake pressure and sometimes brake balance to the rear in car setup.

After all of that, brake feel is a lot better, but I can't be confident on braking yet, so consistency is an issue for me ATM. In general, in AMS2 I have to apply much less brake pedal input than in the other sims I play, so I'm in the "too much brake pedal sensitivity" wagon for now.

About the game, I think the FFB is great. A lot better than PC2, at the extent it seems like totally different engines. Started PC2 to refresh my muscle memory, and FFB are night and day on my T300 RS. Good job Reiza on that.

Graphics are great too. Performance in VR is excellent on my system, something I really expected because the Madness engine.

Had a lot of fun with the Rocco at Montreal, and the Formula Ultimate at Suzuka. There is something strange in some cars, but I can't point the finger at what yet. Snap oversteer in some cars at low speed corner exit, and an unusual car rotation at low speed mid corner in the Stock Car at Interlagos were my major WTF moments, but may be I need to get accostumed to the physics, I don't know yet.

Very satisfied with the current state of the sim right now. Knowing Reiza reputation, I have no doubt AMS2 will be an excellent sim racing game in the near future.

In ACC, if you turn ABS off, tires look up in a similar way AMS 2 do. May be not as soon I think, but it lock ups a lot, so if you are accostumed to ABS braking, yes it can seems wrong at first.
Yes, that is correct.
Some new reports are showing improvements for some people, when recalibrating the brake in session on track.

I've no real problems on the brake, maybe it is down to some hardware configurations or something...

After spending a few more hours with the game, the FFB really feels very similar to AMS1 on my wheel. The only frustrating part is that it is currently very inconsistent between cars in regards of strength and/or low force boost. Some cars feel very close to clipping (guesstimating based on experience) with in-game strength even at around 60, while other cars are way too light even at 100. So you constantly have to adjust things (for now).

The absence of FFB meter makes that even more frustrating, because you are only guessing, you don't know for sure how to set it up.

And it's also kinda frustrating because AMS1 was almost perfect in this regard, it was always a great example of a sim that has the FFB per car set perfectly so you don't really need to adjust anything.

But I understand this is Early Access, so I'm sure things will improve. It's good FFB, that's the important part.

After spending a few more hours with the game, the FFB really feels very similar to AMS1 on my wheel. The only frustrating part is that it is currently very inconsistent between cars in regards of strength and/or low force boost. Some cars feel very close to clipping (guesstimating based on experience) with in-game strength even at around 60, while other cars are way too light even at 100. So you constantly have to adjust things (for now).

For me gain = 70, LFB = 20 and FX = 20 works for pretty much all the cars, i'm ok with some having more wheel weight than others, i only need FFB to convey the right informations to me, don't really need similar "percieved weight" for all the cars

@Martin Fiala fully agree with the variable FFB weight per car. I'm not sure if you were in the Beta but for me, until I think Beta 3 the same settings worked across all cars. Since then either the main 'Gain' or on wheel settings need to be adjusted per car. It's currently a game in itself of chasing the right FFB settings per car, the same goes for the AI, at certain settings they are ok, at other settings they are psychotic.

Well, I had bought AMS2 EA and all I can say that it's magnificent in VR (like PC2 was). And with Reiza's FFB and physics it is the best! That SuperV8 handling and sound is way better than I expected. Immersion and FFB looks very promising, even better than RaceRoom's new FFB.

If those guys are heading this way I think we really need to start donating for them to get all the europian tracks. Imagine driving that beast on Nordscleife!

i'm ok with some having more wheel weight than others, i only need FFB to convey the right informations to me, don't really need similar "percieved weight" for all the cars
Yeah, I'm not OK with that, because outside of DD wheels, that is a wrong approach to FFB. The goal should always be to maximize the game's output while avoiding clipping as much as possible. Consumer wheels are too weak for having actual scaled forces from car to car, that's DD territory.

But again, I assume this is just for now.

BTW I just did and experiment...took the Super V8 (because I had a race with them tonight, and I like them too) to Johannesburg historic in both games. Tried to match the setup in AMS2 as close as I could to the one I was using in AMS1. It was interesting to see the setup in AMS2 to be noticeable more "tame" by default (and BTW, includes both ABS and TC, unlike in AMS1). When I matched the setups...the cars felt almost identical to me. If anything, the one in AMS2 felt a bit more tail happy, but at the same time with a bit more control during the drift, not as snappy as in AMS1.

Same with the FFB, almost identical.

BTW I just did and experiment...took the Super V8 (because I had a race with them tonight, and I like them too) to Johannesburg historic in both games. Tried to match the setup in AMS2 as close as I could to the one I was using in AMS1. It was interesting to see the setup in AMS2 to be noticeable more "tame" by default (and BTW, includes both ABS and TC, unlike in AMS1). When I matched the setups...the cars felt almost identical to me. If anything, the one in AMS2 felt a bit more tail happy, but at the same time with a bit more control during the drift, not as snappy as in AMS1.

Thanks for sharing that info. I get a "meticulous" vibe from you, therefore I give credence to most things you opine. That last post was very interesting indeed.

I did something similar to the SC Brasil and the only difference it've noticed, was the more "wobbly" behaviour on the AMS2 version with more attention required on braking. Besides that, they feel pretty similar...reducing caster also helps with less "sawing" on the wheel. The SC Brasil in AMS2 has more depth, when it comes to movements over bumps and the influence on the drivetrain, IMO, it feels more "sharp" in AMS1.

So i think, the default setups in AMS2 are more a step towards tame and safe driving.

ABS and TC in setup is just placeholder, btw., you can change the values all the way up and it will not change anything, because the Super V8 doesn't feature these systems.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.