Automobilista 2 | Early Access Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have today deployed the first official Early Access build for their new Automobilista 2 racing simulation.

It's here folks! A new build of the much anticipated Automobilista 2, now publicly available in Steam Early Access has landed!

Release announcement in full:

Automobilista 2 is finally here! We are very excited to be able to share what we have been working on all this time.

Please note that as an Early Access release the game is not yet complete - Time Trial & Championship mode are currently disabled but should become available over the first few weeks of Early Access.

Below are some further known common issues and limitations of:this initial release:
  • UI & HUD are still deep in development, and currently feature the essentials for all game modes to work - this will be expanded with new options & features over the course of EA, with same pages being completely redesigned.
  • Early Access is exclusively in English for the time being; Localization to other languages should only be added in time for the full Release.
  • Driver names, suits and helmets are generic for all series as the whole system is being reestructured (also part of requirements for a revamped Opponents settings and the Custom Championship Tool);
  • All 3D driver animations are still placeholders and may not fully fit the car yet;
  • Other Car-related 3D animations have not been exported which mean suspension arms are graphically static, damage is very limited and wiper are not operational
  • Some series still have WIP or placeholder liveries - these will be updated or expanded over the course of Early Access

The are many other substantial updates to every front of the game planned for Automobilista 2 throughout Early Access and beyond - we´ll be posting regular updates to inform what´s coming up the pipeline as we progress.

AMS 2 EA Release.jpg

FORCE FEEDBACK

Default FFB settings are designed for Logitech G2X series - if you have wheels with stronger motors you should scale those settings down to avoid clipping.

A more detailed guide for FFB settings will follow up soon.

AMS 2 EA Release 2.jpg

FOR THOSE WITH AMS2 BETA INSTALLED

Upon this release AMS2 BETA owners will have two AMS2 apps in their Steam library - the Beta and this Main Release.

Both apps will be the same as of tonight and for the next few days until the next AMS2 Beta update (which may or may not be also deployed to AMS2 Main depending on the importance of the updates).

If you are an exclusively offline racer there is no reason to install the Main Release of AMS2 - you may continue using exclusively AMS2 Beta. If however you plan to race online or run Time Trial mode when it becomes available with non-Beta users, you must install the Main Release.

If you have further questions about AMS2, please make sure to check on our AMS2 FAQ here

Remember folks, although the simulation has moved from closed beta status, the title is still very much in Early Access state. Don't load up expecting a fully realised and finished title just yet, but I'm sure you will agree with me that the road to V1 status is going to be an exciting journey...

AMS 2 is available now via Steam Early Access.

Having trouble with the game? Post a new thread in the AMS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and our exceptional community will help you out!

Last edited:
What are your opinions on the sound in Automobilista 2 ?
I’m also fine with the sound in AMS 2. My only comment on it so far is that the exterior engine sounds in replays have a bit too much reverb for my taste. To my ears it sounds more appropriate for Monaco or maybe Adelaide but not for natural terrain courses. Overall though, a trivial concern even if it never changes from this point forward. I just wanted to throw that out there to see if anyone else happened to feel the same.

Agreed, the current AM2 Rental kart understeers terribly and as you rightly say the real rental karts will slide at will (my lad races similar, if slightly power restricted, karts every other weekend and they will oversteer and slide all day long which is how they learn kart control). I also noticed that with the AI set at 100 skill, 70 aggression the AI karts struggle to pull away at the start of each race and the player kart can overtake the entire field. The shifter karts feel much more realistic and will slide much more realistically.

I'll report it in if others haven't already.
I think this is down to base setups. Reiza overdid it with front stiffness to make the cars more predictable. For instance, in the Roco, I immediately lowered the front ARB to about 80k and stiffened the rear to 50k and the car is much better to drive. The P2 is a disaster and I won't go near it until the base setup gets updated.

I have the vague feeling that this thread is not going to end well.

I am a baker (that tested all betas) and will honestly tamper your expectations and possible hype:

- This is EA, so many things are still very much work in progress. In particular AI.
- If you expect a finished game up to the level of polish of existing multi-year sims, that's not it
- if you expect a career or championship mode or more gamey modes, they are not there (championship planned). So it's just you vs a track vs AI (or multiplayer, which is also very much work in progress)
- If you weren't interested in AMS1 content, you won't either in AMS2 (although more mainstream content is planned)
- Make sure to properly setup your wheel (including FFB) before making judgements. That will more than likely require experimenting with FFB settings. Make sure your wheel has the proper degree of rotation for each car (check that it matches the in-cockpit wheel)
- I also advise to try various car / track / time of day / weather combos before forming a full opinion. Avoid to be that guy that can tell in 10 minutes. Stuff can start to click with a specific car / track combo
=> If you gave it a good try with an open mind and do not like it in current state that's OK. Make sure to try it out again in 3 or 6 months. The improvements during the 1 month of beta have been great, so keep that in mind!

All of this seems a bit negative but I'm having great fun in the current EA while acknowledging this is still work in progress to be improved.
Thank you Reiza.

I'm liking the game so far. I'm still not sure of the wheel rotation though, as I'm running with 540 on my DD1 with 900 in game. 540 matches the in-cockpit wheel.

I’m also fine with the sound in AMS 2. My only comment on it so far is that the exterior engine sounds in replays have a bit too much reverb for my taste. To my ears it sounds more appropriate for Monaco or maybe Adelaide but not for natural terrain courses. Overall though, a trivial concern even if it never changes from this point forward. I just wanted to throw that out there to see if anyone else happened to feel the same.
Some internal camera sounds should be more like the exterior. Makes no sense, for example, that karts have so much difference between internal and external, because there is no internal on real karts (even the real helmet buffs the sounds differently). The Copa Classic cars all have their acoustic buffers taken away on preparation and are very noisy inside. For me, it's me biggest audio flaw on this game.

I liked the external sounds, but I believe that FMOD can bring us more info about the surroundings... maybe they improve it over time, 'cause I remember that the old AC had horrible sounds for a long time after it's release... them Kunos made some changes and the game improved from water into wine in just one update, and they still managed to improve it a lot after it. FMOD seems complicated to get this best results.

For those, who have sensitive locking brakes an update:
Recalibrate your brake pedal, when you start the game/maybe even, when you're in session.
(each time)
Maybe there is some hickup for some users.

Also maybe deleting the Automobilista 2 Folder (EDIT: in documents) and reconfiguring all settings could help, but this is just a guess.

Last edited:
Recalibrate your brake pedal, when you start the game/maybe even, when you're in session.
(each time)

Also maybe deleting the Automobilista 2 Folder and reconfiguring all settings could help, but this is just a guess.
...possibly adding to that, I find pumping my 'Brake' pedal 3 - 4 times on the Grid before race starts helps...seriously :thumbsdown:....or it could be my Brake potentiometer wearing out.

Last edited:
Well thanks to you lot i got in tonight, Shattered after another shift but i had to just have a quick look, I gave myself 1/2 hour max just to set up my crappy G25 and sort the graphics settings out etc, Ended up putting 2hrs in and just had to force myself to stop as i'm back in work at 6am tommorow, Initial impressions for me are good, I'll go a bit more into my thought's after a good session on Sunday when i have a day off, Cheers.

(each time)

Also maybe deleting the Automobilista 2 Folder (EDIT: in documents) and reconfiguring all settings could help, but this is just a guess.
Is there more telemetry option in game to see how much brake/throttle is going on? The only way for me to test at the moment is using 60% brake pressure and still being gentle.

I did recalibrate the pedals in a session and I *THINK* it helped, not sure, maybe placebo.

What is your setup-brake pressure value for the F-Ultimate for example? Reduce it to 80%, it should already change a lot.

Tried that and it made a small difference but not enough to let me brake hard from high speed even very briefly without locking the wheels. It’s frustrating because I just don’t seem to be able to follow cars closely without the risk of running into them when they brake. Wish I knew what the problem was as I’ve never had the problem in other sims.

I’ve just watched telemetry from Hamilton’s pole lap at the French GP last year and there are many times he’s at full brake pressure for a second or more and occasionally 2 seconds with little to no trail breaking. No wheel lockups.

Last edited:
Tried that and it made a small difference but not enough to let me brake hard from high speed even very briefly without locking the wheels. It’s frustrating because I just don’t seem to be able to follow cars closely without the risk of running into them when they brake. Wish I knew what the problem was as I’ve never had the problem in other sims.

I’ve just watched telemetry from Hamilton’s pole lap at the French GP last year and there are many times he’s at full brake pressure for a second or more and occasionally 2 seconds with little to no trail breaking. No wheel lockups.
Try recalibrating your pedals in the controls options, when you are in session on track.
There could be a calibration issue for some users, that has been reported by now.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.