Assetto Corsa Competizione | Intercontinental GT Pack set to release February 4th

ThugUK

500RPM
Feb 27, 2015
No, it's not. What if all of the people who said they used VR in your poll were the only ones using it, out of the many, many thousands of sim racers out there? In a small, uncontrolled poll you have no way of knowing.
You could say that for any poll though.
There has to be a point where you think that its a reasonable amount of people.
If only 10% of users reply, then that will give a true representation of what 10% of people use.
Ok, the more that reply the more accurate it will be, but if 1,000 people replied they may all still be VR users.
The poll was not aimed at purely VR users, it was aimed at 'what people use', so open to anyone and everyone. Its up to them if they reply or not.

maelstrom

250RPM
Jul 6, 2017
If only 10% of users reply, then that will give a true representation of what 10% of people use.

Ok, the more that reply the more accurate it will be, but if 1,000 people replied they may all still be VR users.
I agree, but at least with the larger number it's more likely to be representative. With the very small sample size that you had in your poll, it's almost impossible to say whether or not it's a true reflection of VR usage within the community.

A similar sort of thing is going on in the flight sim community at the moment. Microsoft are developing a new flight sim and were barraged with complaints from VR users when they said that it may not support VR on release. From the ferocity of the campaign to try to get them to change their minds, you would have been forgiven for thinking that most flight simmers used VR. However, the results of an independent flight sim community survey released this week, which had almost 18,000 respondents (an excellent sample size) showed that only 12% of respondents used VR with their sim. Incidentally, that was only 1% more than the previous year. I would guess that that figure is probably not too far removed from the number of VR users in the racing sim community - I'd certainly be surprised if it was as much as 20%. Unlike the flight sim community, we've just no way of knowing accurately.

Reactions: dragonbeard

BP

1000RPM
Premium
Nov 1, 2016
OK update: apparently 1.3.0 was crashing a lot even after restarting the computer, it would happen at various times (track loading, while in menus, driving on track). Now today it won't load at all on 1.3.1! Patiently waiting on a response on the AC forum but it's sleepytime in Italy so I guess tomorrow. Anyone else locked out of the game due to crashes?

1580955438825.png

DrRob

500RPM
Jan 7, 2017
@BP Sorry, I cannot offer you any help I am afraid. I had this behaviour even with v.1.2.3 recently. Not sure what caused this and how it cured itself, but after a computer restart the problem was gone. I installed Discord just before the issues, but not sure it is connected to this.
Haven't had crashes with 1.3.0 or 1.3.1 again so far.

I read however that v.1.3.0 was dropped because of crashing issues while loading/saving e.g. setups. Maybe the new hotfix didn't cure it completely?

Vunnible

25RPM
Premium
Nov 2, 2019
OK update: apparently 1.3.0 was crashing a lot even after restarting the computer, it would happen at various times (track loading, while in menus, driving on track). Now today it won't load at all on 1.3.1! Patiently waiting on a response on the AC forum but it's sleepytime in Italy so I guess tomorrow. Anyone else locked out of the game due to crashes?

View attachment 347867
Is your gpu overclocked by chance? Not the same error but mine was crashing. Stock clock fixed it.

BP

1000RPM
Premium
Nov 1, 2016
Is your gpu overclocked by chance? Not the same error but mine was crashing. Stock clock fixed it.
So far it seems like it's an ACC file being corrupted issue (possibly caused by my antivirus). GPU is overclocked but it's stable and not an aggressive overclock, plus it was crashing before anything loads, so not GPU related it seems.

norbs

That cams guy.
Premium
Mar 22, 2014
So far it seems like it's an ACC file being corrupted issue (possibly caused by my antivirus). GPU is overclocked but it's stable and not an aggressive overclock, plus it was crashing before anything loads, so not GPU related it seems.
Avast?

Vunnible

25RPM
Premium
Nov 2, 2019
Mine was stable as well.

ThugUK

500RPM
Feb 27, 2015
I agree, but at least with the larger number it's more likely to be representative. With the very small sample size that you had in your poll, it's almost impossible to say whether or not it's a true reflection of VR usage within the community.

A similar sort of thing is going on in the flight sim community at the moment. Microsoft are developing a new flight sim and were barraged with complaints from VR users when they said that it may not support VR on release. From the ferocity of the campaign to try to get them to change their minds, you would have been forgiven for thinking that most flight simmers used VR. However, the results of an independent flight sim community survey released this week, which had almost 18,000 respondents (an excellent sample size) showed that only 12% of respondents used VR with their sim. Incidentally, that was only 1% more than the previous year. I would guess that that figure is probably not too far removed from the number of VR users in the racing sim community - I'd certainly be surprised if it was as much as 20%. Unlike the flight sim community, we've just no way of knowing accurately.
Yes I agree the more the better (more accurate it will be).
I too am looking forward to FS2020 and will buy whether VR or not (would prefer VR though).
Another thing about my poll is that you could have 2 choices. For instance I use VR (for most sim racing games), but also have an ultrawide for those that don't support it (like Wreckfest).
Something else to think about (looking at the poll you mentioned), if these 18-20% were in the no 'VR no buy' camp and the game was about £50 then that is a LOT of money lost and FAR more (possibly) than it would cost to implement it.
If they sold 1 million copies world wide (reasonable figure seeing as though FSX sold 1m by 2008 and FS2020 will be bigger) and 20% of potential customers didn't buy due to no VR then that is about £10,000,000 in lost sales.
I'm fact even if its only 1% then that is still £200,000. So well worth implementing it.

dragonbeard

10RPM
Nov 24, 2017
I too am looking forward to FS2020 and will buy whether VR or not (would prefer VR though).
Another thing about my poll is that you could have 2 choices. For instance I use VR (for most sim racing games), but also have an ultrawide for those that don't support it (like Wreckfest).
Something else to think about (looking at the poll you mentioned), if these 18-20% were in the no 'VR no buy' camp and the game was about £50 then that is a LOT of money lost and FAR more (possibly) than it would cost to implement it.
If they sold 1 million copies world wide (reasonable figure seeing as though FSX sold 1m by 2008 and FS2020 will be bigger) and 20% of potential customers didn't buy due to no VR then that is about £10,000,000 in lost sales.
I'm fact even if its only 1% then that is still £200,000. So well worth implementing it.
You'd be surprised how quickly software projects burn through £200.000...

Reactions: Vunnible and Majuh

Majuh

500RPM
Nov 26, 2010
£200,000 = 3 software developers for 1 year

A good VR implementation certainly takes more man-hours than that.

Reactions: Vunnible

dragonbeard

10RPM
Nov 24, 2017
£200,000 = 3 software developers for 1 year

A good VR implementation certainly takes more man-hours than that.
I'd even say between 1 and 3 devs for a year. I know plenty senior profiles with dayrates that amount to 150k+ in a year.