Assetto Corsa: Build 0.9 Released (with multiplayer)

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Due to a few delays it took Kunos Simulazioni a little extra time to deliver the announced multiplayer functionality to the community. Today the wait ends as issues have been fixed and tested and are now available via a Steam update for customers.

Besides a whole bunch of servers provided by Kunos the community has start hosting the first multiplayer rooms already and of course you are more than welcome to visit the official RD servers as well.

Buy Assetto Corsa for only 34,99 EUR directly from the RD Store here

The 0.9 upgrade of Assetto Corsa brings the following features to the PC simulation.

Working Features:
  • Booking system
  • Pre-booked clients from server admins
  • Password protected server for booking
  • Password saving for different servers
  • Multi class races
  • Race weekend (practice,qualifying,race) with configurable duration and number of laps
  • Select penalty system or not.
  • Track cycling
  • Loop mode
  • Maximum client limit, determined by circuit pit boxes
  • Clients may re-join at any session if booked.
  • Dedicated server available.
  • 10 public official servers
Known Issues
  • Official server are set to 15 clients and we will gradually increase the clients number
  • with testing. Dedicated server is not limited.
  • Wheels remain always connected on the ground, even if cars flies, jumps of flips
  • Steering wheels angles might appear exaggerated, or inverted
  • Extended characters in player names, are not supported yet
  • Graphical active aero animations do not work on multiplayer clients yet
  • Opponents skidmarks are not visible yet
  • Opponents windshield are not visible in player’s mirrors yet
  • Opponents suspension movements are vertical, wheels might compenetrate cars body on some occasions
  • “Multiplayer options” option from the menu does not work yet (containing voting for skip session, restart servers, kick users, chats etc)
  • Switching between sessions dirt on the car doesn’t disappear race session ends some seconds after the leader finishes the race

Last edited:
Yeah, same here, I noticed the free GT3 practice has 20 minutes left in booking...would love to race, but I don't have the time right now as it's finals week in college. Sorry to dump out of a scheduled race, but I had time a week ago, not anymore, at least until next week. Please schedule someone in my place...let's have fun racing!

I managed to get online at the 7th attempt. Came back to Race weekend and the majority of the stutter has gone.

Whether it needed to be run first, exited, and run a second time to fix, or whether it was because I played rF2 in between, I don't know. Strange.

Happy again though - if it stutters keep away.

I'm not usually one to swear, but yeah, public servers are terrible.
It's almost as if the word "public" in simracing is defined as "sitting and waiting for you, so I can crash you off".
There was a guy in a 20 minute practice session this afternoon who just spun 180 in front of myself and another guy on a straight then rammed him head on. Every subsequent lap he'd moved to different vantage points waiting for the next victim to ram.

I'd prefer private servers but the whole need to show your real name on RD servers isn't my thing. Value my online privacy/anonymity tbh.

Is there a ban mechanism in AC MP. Its 1.45am & I'm offline due to a 14hr work day in 5hrs time so can't check. :(

There was a guy in a 20 minute practice session this afternoon who just spun 180 in front of myself and another guy on a straight then rammed him head on. Every subsequent lap he'd moved to different vantage points waiting for the next victim to ram.

I'd prefer private servers but the whole need to show your real name on RD servers isn't my thing. Value my online privacy/anonymity tbh.

Is there a ban mechanism in AC MP. Its 1.45am & I'm offline due to a 14hr work day in 5hrs time so can't check. :(
Yeah, same here...were we in the same race, Nurburgring? Every great lap, he was knocking people off left and right.

Good info here: Aris reply in bold

Early days! But congrats on rolling out MP.

My input;

1. The ingame chat system needs an overhall. 98% of players don't know the chat feature is a menu item. Its defaulted to off so I can't explain it to them either. You need a hotkey you can press, and the message needs to be listed across an area of the screen. Just do what iracing has done, including an option to turn messages off if in car.
Yes infact that chat is a leftover of the testing/debug system. The actual main screen for chatting, voting, skipping sessions, kicking users etc, is not yet activated.

2. MP smoothing. Even on a low ping, the movement of other cars is a little bit jerky. Cars on a 250-300 ping are too jerky to race against. A smoothing algorithm is required here.
There is a smoothing algorithm and normally on low ping and good quality connection you shouldn't see other cars jerky. I agree we're not on par of the best multi sims out there but please also count the fact that we only have servers in Italy right now.
Certainly we try to improve on this.

3. The Booking system needs to be junked for public racing. Only having a few minutes to join a server is silly, and if you set a long booking time, then everyone has to sit there and wait 10 minutes for the race to start. Let people join in prac and qual, but not the race. Problem solved.
It is something we're working on it. We considered the system as better for the leagues (and we think it is), but we didn't consider such a big success of free public servers. Early hours though, so let's see how it goes.
We are also working on some alternative solutions.

4. Set a max ping limit as the server host.
True, also we thinking about disabling collisions on clients that get their ping raised way up, for whatever reason.

5. Session rankings doesn't work in car.
Which ones exactly? Basic app should work

6. Require ability to watch other cars in a session.
Try pressing ctrl+1 or 3 on the numerical keyboard

7. Need ability to share my setup.​
Agree, but low on the todo list, maybe a third party app will do this before us

8. Need ability to turn on/off other driver names.​
press Ctrl+L

9. Rift support isn't great at the moment.​
err... not related to multi. Also we're under NDA on rift support, we have to wait ;)
More as we go. Its fun though! Great work guys. :)
cheers

We need filters to exclude passworded servers, a event lobby where you can check other drivers live/chat/garage/times/options, right now it's not very user friendly...
Also, i only see an average of very high ping servers (200 to 400), will this change in future or is it normal?​
There are already filters for passworded servers, just click on the lock icon.
For the high ping server, maybe the fact that all servers are in Italy.

KS Dev. Vehicle physics, Ui, Web | Aristotelis Vasilakos

Source:
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/my-thoughts-and-suggestions-so-far.9444/

Just wanted to give some general remarks...

Booking system does is not seem intuitive at first (apply the "filter sessions in booking stage" and its not so bad) but does it have some logic to it, agree that you should join at least during practice session.

Can't wait to see a good chat/voice chat system implemented, really is a central part of the multiplayer experience

Not going to say anything about lagging/glitching I am sure they are working on it, although I find that from my Toronto Canada location it is totally playable ATM

Would love to see some sort of stat tracking system, and have some time to review all your lap times/breakdown at the end of a session.

I saw no framerate hits from my first couple of races, running on generally high but not ultra settings on my laptop with a ATI5870m at 1600x900.

Qualify near the top and people race clean (so far)

Overall great! Bring on stat tracking (maybe you can see other peoples stats too) and a good chat system and we shall be set.

One thing I noticed on (some of?) the public AC servers is the penalty's are off, didn't notice it at first then was following someone who went way out into the run off area and just kept powering on, I thought it was the car ghosting at first then noticed some ridiculously low lap times, I'm talking within half a second of WR so next lap I tested out the run off areas of course RSR live timing went red but there was no slow down penalty, as much as I hate the slow down penalty it stops cutting, after watching a guy I was following and catching just skip through a chicane and gain 2 seconds on me I was screaming out for a penalty.

Also first corner crasher's :confused::mad::O_o: #Facepalm. Why? LoL

I had a very good experience today with MP. Once I figured out the booking process. I was able to join and run some fun races. Sure, there was the occasional idiot, but for the most part, most people gave room incase of any warp. Then I tried to setup my own server. Ugghh, what a nightmare at first. I was able to get it to connect to the lobby and not show up in the list. I had to delete the server content out of my AC install and verify cache to get it to download again. Once that was figured, I was able to get my server to show in lobby, but not able to join it. I figured it out that if you leave a wait time, it will not let you join during that timing period. Now that I got it figured out, my server is running good and I can join it also.

@Michael Hornbuckle .. thanks for the information..
- I tinkered with the ctr+1,3 to view other drivers, it took a while but I found that ctrl+2 takes you back to your vehicle.

Random thoughts on MP..

I joined a fantastic server tonight, 20 laps, Maggione, mixed field. There were a couple RD members on board too, like Saleem hodge(martini racing skin showed bc I have it, looks great).

1. It's great to get into a server with respectable drivers. The racing was fantastic, the passes were clean, quals were a constant battle. Pole position and even the passes were all most definitely earned. Unfortunately it was a 20 lap race, and I dressed for 10.. lol. which brings me to number 2.

2. Information. It's hard to find. It would be nice if there was a "pro" sign somewhere on the server list. So you know that tyre wear, etc is enabled. After 20 minutes of practice, and a hard fought qualification, I really didn't even remember how many laps the race was supposed to be(see point 3). It's WIP so I really can't complain. And honestly, if this is what were stuck with forever I would enjoy it. AC MP is fantastic when you actually get to race with gentleman.

3. The transition between qualification and race is very tough to deal with. I race with a different fuel load than I qualify with, as most of us do. There is not enough time between quals and race to adjust this properly. Anyone who has spent any real time racing in AC MP has definitely launched into a race, And the countdown tree is gone already. Many don't even know the race has started. Leading to pileups on the starting grid, "flying" around the track, and inevitably being sent to pits.
edit: I probably could just go back to pits before quals are finished and load my race setup. But randoms in servers will not know to do this..

4. The booking system is fine, but it is not without drawbacks. I would have to say that it lends to servers being empty though. And that's not that great imho. anyway wip. my 2 cents.

Please don't take this as complaint. It is genuine feedback.

Thanks and Happy racing all.

Last edited:
Managed a couple of races yesterday.
Thoroughly enjoyed it, even though I got rammed in one of them!
Found the booking system a little strange to start with but once I'd figured out how to filter for booking only and sort by ping it was ok.
I had one event though where I can only assume everyone else left. Went out for quali at monza, the two cars ahead of me took each other out and then disappeared. I did my quali laps and returned to the pits but none of the other 9 drivers had set a time.
Quali had finished but the race didn't start. Don't know if I was too impatient but I quit back to the game menu and joined another session.
Looking forward to some RD races!

MP is great on low ping servers, but there are so many wreckers on free servers :)
I think that would be nice to add filter to gamer, pro, custom, because on same server are people racing with full assists and people with no assists at all. Beside that, great work.

After a shaky start I'm really starting to enjoy MP, I just use up to 15 cars now and the warning message about CPU occupancy has vanished, not had any spoilers who just deliberately crash into you yet, great when racing other drivers who will try to avoid dodgems style racing. Good work Kunos BUT! WHERE IS THE LOTUS 98T? Damn it.

Agh this multiplayer process actually turned out to be a lot smoother than I thought it would be!

The booking process is completely alien to me though, and I really don't like having to sit through 40minutes of practise and qually just to do a race, and also nobody else can join your server after it begins, meaning by the time the race starts, there's never more than half a grid to race with!

FPS and PING are decent mainly, some laggers but that's probably due to their connection. The racing itself is good. I've found myself in 3 servers last night (until 4 in the morning:geek:) and the racing was very good. Had an epic E30 race at Monza with a few guys, and another nice GT3 and 500 Abarth race too, so no complaints with the driving yet.

Still some functions to bring in:
  • Sector livetiming of other cars
  • Ability to view other cars on track
  • Livechat (but apparently it already exists??! - who knew)
  • Ability for drivers to join during qualifying to ensure full grids
Slightly off-topic, but can anyone recommend me a good app for recording qualifying and race positions? Both OV1 and F1 Overlay cannot record qualifying times or even race times in order. Thanks!

The booking process is really bad!

It prevents you from being mobile, and going from server to server if you'd like. Instead you must wait for 1,2,5,10 or half an hour to begin with practice. And if you don't press right on time when the booking timer is out, you might even fail to enter. That is VERY VERY bad.

What needs to be changed in this moment is the booking. Although has some benefits, it has to be changed because i dont see anyone having the time to sit and wait for something to happen without any action.

Some might not agree, but in the moment i dont have a desire to go online just because i know that there is BOOKING which might last 30 minutes and by that time i will do 10 other things instead. And also, finding server that just started with booking is not selective, but you must select randomly. It doesnt make any sense

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.