Archived modding threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every once in a while I like to tweak the physics on cars to have them drive in a way I feel is more realistic, or can be better used to improving my driving. One car I most enjoy driving is a small open wheel car, the formula ford. It is very well done, but I feel there are some areas that could be improved upon. It does have a fair balance, but I feel it could use a little more lift off oversteer. I can adjust the weight balance from 56% rear bias to 58% and it has the amount of lift off oversteer (trailing throttle oversteer, tto)that I am looking for, but there are a few other things I would like to be able to adjust if possible. I feel the rear end does not slide easily enough on heavy throttle. Yes it is a low power car but I would prefer to have less longitudinal grip and have it bring the back end out not just from weight transferring forward but also from too much throttle if the car is already using considerable amount of lateral grip from turning hard. Now when placing more mass toward the rear it also does create more (tto), but then does has even more longitudinal grip on the rear tires when accelerating.

Is there a way to increase or decrease lateral grip and longitudinal grip independently?
Can I adjust the inertia from front to rear independently? Or does anyone know what each number down in blue correlates to?
Can I adjust the grip for the front tires and rear independently?
How could I possibly adjust the grip of the tires vs the slip angle they are at? To be able to make a tire more or less progressive in nature.

Here are some of the settings under "general" in the hdc file.
Thanks,
Slalom823

[GENERAL]
Rules=0 // what rules to apply to garage setups (0=none, 1=stock car)
GarageDisplayFlags=0 // how settings are displayed in garage (add): 1=rear wing, 2=radiator, 4=more gear info
FeelerFlags=0
Mass=495.0 // 425kg Car + 70kg Driver
Inertia=(475.0, 500.0, 95.0) // all inertia except fuel
FuelTankPos=(0.0, 0.15, 0.30) // location of tank affects center of gravity (very close and even slightly ahead of CG in F1)
FuelTankMotion=(560.0,0.7) // simple model of fuel movement in tank (spring rate per kg, critical damping ratio)
Notes="Formula_Ford"
Symmetric=1
DamageFile=Formula_Ford.dmg // file to find physical and graphical damage info
CGHeight=0.210 // height of body mass (excluding fuel) above reference plane was 0.215
CGRightRange=(0.500, 0.00, 0) // fraction of weight on left tires
CGRightSetting=0
CGRearRange=(0.56, 0.0, 1)
CGRearSetting=0
GraphicalOffset=(0.0, -0.04, 0.0) // does not affect physics!
Undertray00=(0.35, 0.040, -1.300) // offset from center of car, and between axles // Floor LF corner
Undertray01=(-0.35, 0.040, -1.300) // offset from center of car, and between axles // Floor RF corner
Undertray02=(0.40, 0.040, 1.350) // offset from center of car, and between axles // FLoor LR corner
Undertray03=(-0.40, 0.040, 1.350) // offset from center of car, and between axles // Floor RR corner
Undertray04=(0.40, 0.040, 0.0) // offset from center of car, and between axles // Floor Left Centre
Undertray05=(-0.40, 0.040, 0.0) // offset from center of car, and between axles // Floor Right Centre
Undertray06=(0.65, 0.035, 0.0) // offset from center of car, and between axles // Floor Exhaust Centre
Undertray07=(0.60, 0.035, -0.350) // offset from center of car, and between axles // Floor Exhaust Front
UndertrayParams=(250000.0,12500.0, 2.0)// undertray spring rate, damper rate, and coefficient of friction
TireBrand=Formula_Ford
FrontTireCompoundSetting=0 // front compound index within brand
RearTireCompoundSetting=0 // rear compound index within brand
FuelRange=(1.0, 1.0, 41)

I did find in the tire file that the lateral and longitudinal grip can be adjusted independently and for both the front and rear. Now with the grip tables I suppose if one knew what they were doing they could adjust the slip angles and grip to make the tires more or less progressive. I look at those tables and get lost though. Plus that is my lowest priority as it is done well on this mod, it is more that I would like to know how to adjust it for future knowledge and if I want to tweak it.

One of the corresponding lines that should help.
DryLatLong=(1.28735, 1.30865) // Lateral/longitudinal coefficients in dry weather was 700

I will play around and see if I can improve this to my personal preference.

Hi all!
I would like to start modeling my own cars for racing sims, but I need some help. Is there any tutorial/guide on the basics to start off?
I have advanced knowledge in 3D modeling, but I'm aware that cars models for videogames must follow some rules regarding polygon count, LODs, naming, etc.
My first attempt was with Assetto Corsa, but the lack of information let me half way...
So any help will be so much appreciated! Just want to give back to the community all the mods that I've been able to enjoy!

Thanks!

Just running on memory, it's been a while since I did anything with Race 07's physics. Hopefully I'm not gonna get all of this wrong. :p

Inertia=(475.0, 500.0, 95.0)

Inertia tensor for pitch, yaw and roll respectively. It's basically like mass, except when it comes to rotation instead. Torque / inertia = angular acceleration, exactly the same as force / mass = acceleration. This has a small effect on car speed, but it mostly affects handling and 'feel'. Especially the yaw part.

As for slip angles, the important things are a mix of those tables at the top (the slip curves) and a few parameters in each tire. The slip curves are dynamically adjusted while driving, so that the point they hit 1 is where we want the peak to occur. You can also adjust how it adjusts the slip curve beyond the peak with the 'DropoffFunction' parameter on each slip curve, and that might be useful in trying to make the tires more progressive, but I can't recall how exactly it works.

LatPeak=(0.10, 0.30, 9500.0)
1st is sin(peak slip angle) at 0 newtons load, 2nd is sin(peak slip angle) at 3rd newtons load
LongPeak=(0.10, 0.30, 9500.0)
1st is lon. slip at 0 newtons load, 2nd is lon. slip at 3rd netwons load.

I would like the start modding trackins into SCE or rFactor 1. Can someone give me a place to start? Like what programs I would be needing and such.

Programs i use for building tracks for rFactor1:
Bobs Track Builder
3dsimed
Google Earth for kml files
Google street view for info and some textures
Google Sketchup for building simple objects.
Paint.net for converting textures to dds files
Hybrid Geo Tools 3d route builder for altitudes in combination with Google Earth.
Paint shop Pro

The cube in the default scene is 2M on a side. I use that info to scale a background image of the racecourse viewed from above. Of course the image needs to have features or witness marks of known dimensions.

It is just a thought for
the moment. I want to create a collection of generic logos that mimic known brands, so they look close enough to the original but far enough not to infringe copyright.
What's your thoughts
This will be distributed free (creative commens etc. ) anyone interested in joining?

This is something I have been thinking about for quite a long time, but unfortunately I don't have the technical skills to implement.

The problem is the skill similarity in the AI across a number of popular games. The solution would be either a pre-programmed disparity in skill among the AI, which I know is possible but tends to be a bit dull and boring to apply, or some editor that could change a value in the AI files based on the player preferences or randomly.

We have all experienced, especially in Gmotor games, but across all the most popular sims, bunch up issues with the AI.

Just recently I was testing the new Beta got Game Stock Car and in almost every car category I experienced going from last to first with a lap time improvement of less than a second.

If one looks at the result in a practice or qualifying session in GSCx, Race07, even pCARS or AC, which are more modern games, the results are often very close from the fastest to the slowest AI drivers.

Once in the race, small mistakes and the player own intervention can produce more varied results, in fact in some cases I have spent the first lap of a SP session to create just such a disparity, but otherwise we all know that even in the race the cars tend to remain bunched up and even when separated, they tend to group and remain pretty much in that grouping once things have settled.

The result for human players is that a small difference in the AI settings will result in a field that is either boringly slow, or hopelessly fast. In both cases this produces a less than exciting SP experience.

In SP I am not so much interested in winning, as I am in generating credible race behavior among the AI. One way to reproduce this race behavior is to have a variety of skills on track.

Ideally, it would be nice if these skills could also change over the course of the race, with some drivers getting slightly faster when challenged and others running out of steam, but if we assume a "dumb" behavior from the AI, at the very least the AI drivers should be separated by more than just fractions of a second.

If one looks at real life results, sometimes there are easily several seconds difference between drivers or teams. Why not recreate that in the games? That way the "Ability" slider would be less than a solid line in the ground but more of a fuzzy border within which a driver in SP mode could find good challenge from the AI regardless of individual skills and especially regardless of personal improvement over the course of a session.

So not only this would help spread out the field creating more varied challenges, but would mask the improvement of a average skilled driver getting to know the track and car combo better over the course of a session.

How to implement it:

There are already small programs that rewrite values in game files. In Gmotor games, if a recall, there is a specific file where one can enter the names of the AI drivers and create a variety of abilities across the field. This is a bit time consuming and boring, but the results are pretty good.

Problem is, not everyone has the patience and ability to do that for every class of car or mod that comes along.

How difficult would it be to create a program that customizes the AI ability on track given a set of variables?

I'd actually be very interested in learning how Sector 3 AI works, because even using their AI, it is not unusual to "train" the AI at a certain track/car combo only to have the same combo go wildly out of whack the next time around. Id the differences between AI was larger, this effect would be less noticeable and would produce a fun experience regardless rather than the way it works now, where usually the very first race with the AI I am at times 5 to 7 seconds faster PER LAP! And then the next race, the AI is a full 2 seconds per lap faster.

Eventually, Sector 3 approach can reach a nice equilibrium, but it has several drawbacks as well, the principal one being the group too bunched up together.

This is what I see for the solution in incremental fashion, from the minimum indispensable to improve things, to the optimal:

1) Customize AI to have a spread of several seconds between fastest to slowest AI drivers

2) Allow player to customize the AI abilities in the manner of moving sliders for each AI driver or group of drivers. The most basic being the number we have to edit in the point above in order to customize an AI file. Couldn't we have more variables as well?

3) Allow the above and additionally introduce a random factor that changes the AI drivers abilities over the course of a race. Things like changes in the racing line, changes in grip and engine power, changes in the error rates and so forth.

Is this impossible? I think point 1 at least is very possible. I know that it can be done by editing a few files, but it would be a lot friendlier if there was some sort of graphical interface we could use. Point 2 and 3 I think would be possible, but it may take some reprogramming of the way the AI work. Still, I think it would be a valuable addition to the hobby.

Sorry this is a bit rambling. I had a long night and I have not recovered 100% but I tink the topic is valid and I wanted to hear back from you guys as to what would be feasible now and what could be done in future games.

Well, looks like I am late to this game. I just found (bit not tested) an rFactor Talent Editor (not difficult to find) I don't want to link to it just in case it is dangerous or useless.

Still, this may let one edit the talent files, but what I had in mind was a more randomized effect and possibly something that could affect performance over time.

If you know how to model in 3D you are well on the way.
I wouldn't be too concerned about LODs & Naming Conventions until you are ready to take it into your game.
Every game has different rules so you really need to work out what platform you want to set up for.
As for how many polys do I need? I think the answer is just don't be wasteful. If you have a large flat area you don't need a lot of polys. If you have a lot of curves ie: wheel arches then don't be afraid to use a few more to get a good result. Remember computers aren't getting any slower.
I would consider this image to have a good number of polys.
attachment.php

I would probably use a few more around the wheel arches than this.
Cheers

i need help i have put in car mod the game find the car but when i press start a error comes up cant find lods.ini" how to fix it? sorry for bad English. the game is assetto corsa

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play