Anyone here got the recent OSW SW7C+, SW10C+, SW12C+ ?

Cosimo

Premium
These motors are rated at 7/10/12Nm peak torque. I'm wondering if that's too little, or where's the sweet spot. If you got one of those, leave a comment below. Thanks,

[QUOTE="Cosimo, post: 2798366, member: 150679")

Let me know please, especially since you can compare it to T300. I have a T500 now so I'd be doing the same upgrade :)[/QUOTE]
It might take maybe 2 weeks once I received the servo before I could make the video since I need to schedule a 1 hr session with Simplicity to have it running.

Upvote 0
I have an OSW but, rated up to 20Nm. In most cases, I'm running the system at about 50% force strength or less (generally governed via game FF Strength, not voltage limit). In theory, that suggests that my actual output would be in the 8-10Nm range.

I also have an AccuForce and run that at a bit higher output (60-70%) but, being that system is rated at 13Nm, so peak output as governed should be about 9Nm.

I'm of average size and build and I don't feel I need more torque than that but, I do think there's a strong argument to have some headroom for peaks and to not over-tax the electronic components so, I really think a 12Nm system is the lowest I'd want.

On the other hand, I know of players that build OSW's using monster-sized servo motors capable of up to 60Nm but, they are not utilizing the full torque, there are other dynamics involved such as the natural rotational mass and dampening that lend themselves to increased realism and very subtle grip-loss detection for use with oval racing.

I see it often said that non-DD wheel users (coming from mainstream wheels), don't believe they need that amount of torque but, I believe that's because they haven't used one, or if they have, not long enough to really understand the benefits fully.

Having the extra dynamic range allows us to run more torque without over-powering the effects and our inputs, while also enhancing our sense of front grip-loss (Understeer). So lets say you are playing AC and may be struggling with some road cars that have a tendency to understeer excessively; by increasing the FFB force-level, you'll be better able to avoid understeer because the onset will be much easier to detect and helps avoid over-driving the car.

In regard to the encoder quality, I think the 10k encoders should be the minimum and you wouldn't notice a huge difference going to a 2-mil encoder but, the rubber-like quality you get with the higher resolution is noticeable. The jump from the 5k to 10k is quite obvious in terms of quality. Upgrading the encoder later can also be an option but, one should consider the total cost with shipping in the equation as well.

Used Encoders can also be found online from time to time as some people do like to upgrade to the latest and greatest. :)

Upvote 0
Who does not want a stronger motor with higher quality encoders? I think all of us do but what comes down to me is "budget". I was actually just going for the 7nm but from what I read somewhere, some dd owners dial it down to this strength and getting the 10nm will give me a bit of headroom. Maybe the SW7C+ is good enough but with almost the same price with the SW10C, it's what I chose. I actually went overboard with SW10C and then you have to get a steering wheel too. I just upgraded my rig to using aluminum profile(from 4play Racing) for this servo also so as you can imagine when you add all of this.

I was happy with my T300rs(3.9nm) until it gave out that's why I had to upgrade.

The shipment from Simplicity was delayed due to some unforeseen issue, might be an additional 2 weeks:(.

Upvote 0
Has anyone seen a review of the Compact series? (SW7, SW10, SW12) It appears that the difference is more than the strength of the servo motor.

They don't appear to be SimuCube based and they have their own firmware, not MMOS or SimuCUBE firmware as with most other OSWs.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea