PC3 Another Project CARS Title in The Works?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 3 Confirmed.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios head Ian Bell has reportedly confirmed the smash hit Project CARS franchise is due another new release - Project CARS 3 is in the works...

Never one to be shy with the big predictions, Bell has taken to the GT Planet forums to confirm to fans that another Project CARS game is in the works by Slightly Mad Studios, and with a typical shyness we've all come to expect from new PCARS news, Bell has suggested the next instalment of the franchise will " blow anything else, planned by anyone else, out of the water".

Now call me a sceptic, but we've heard statements like this before in relation to Project CARS games, and although both PCARS 1 and 2 certainly do some things very well indeed, for many players they often leave more than a little to be desired in comparison to their main sim racing rivals.. especially when compared to some of the grandiose statements made by the developers during the build up period prior to release.

Now of course this "announcement" is very early in nature, and as such very little is known about the intentions of SMS and the development path of PCARS 3, but one thing is for sure, whenever a PCARS title is in the works, plenty of excitement is sure to follow..

Stay tuned for more news as and when it becomes available...

Project CARS 2 is available now on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Check out the Project CARS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news, discussion and features on this sequel release to the hugely popular Project CARS franchise of games.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

This is the problem. You played AC and got used to the way it poorly transfers weight, which is where you think there is "too much grip under acceleration".
There is too much grip, it's a simple fact that they used the wrong tyres for the classic cars. These are the sort of odd design decisions it seems SMS go for that will alway ruin any good work they do. Same as the clutch, it's a joke & they just dumb the game down for the consoles.

I rate PC1 as an overhyped fail. PC2 I think was an improvement, with some cars being really very good once you got the feel, but other cars being a bit "WTF" in my opinion. I also felt the VR implementation was well done but, as a total package, there was just not enough there to pull me away from other sims on a consistent basis.

My predictions:
- the hype machine will be cranked up to 11 again.
- the game will be another incremental improvement
- the game game will not be improved enough to pull me in as a regular player
- in spite of all this, I'm dumb enough to buy it #partoftheproblem #yourewelcome

Well, as always, former sims are always bashed (we've seen that with Dirt Rally 1 recenlty). Pcars2 is amazing for what it offers out of the box. My main critic is about the unremovable automatic clutch. But almost all sims have simplifications with the clutch one way or another (except Raceroom and maybe rFactor 2) and there is worse clutch management than Pcars2.

The only thing I can't accept is that SMS apparently just stopped paying the subscription for the real weather feature, one year after the release of the game. How shameful, it makes this company and its managers absolutely cheap and miserable.

I'm sure Pcars3 will be better, I hope so, I really enjoyed and still enjoy Pcars2 but, count on me SMS, I'll be as cheap as you, I'll bought your game on sale, if it brings something new on the table, for less than 30€ including the season pass.

Be careful, because you may have strong competitors when your game is released, all the nice and exclusive features you had until know are coming in all future titles...

Pcars 2 is a perfect base. It just need fixes and improvements and new DLCs with a second season pass (and the paiment of your real weather subscription). This would be the good way to do it. A part of the community just like to bash your games, SMS, and you're on the way to piss off the part who enjoyed them. Take notes for your next 2019 or 2020 forecast, you can already forecast bad results... Another video game company in trouble in the next few years, poor management skills, poor employees losing their jobs...

My main critic is about the unremovable automatic clutch. But almost all sims have simplifications with the clutch one way or another (except Raceroom and maybe rFactor 2) and there is worse clutch management than Pcars2.

The auto clutch it has is in the options menu. The clutch in this game is about the same as it is in rF2. The only difference is that you can miss gears in PCars 2 if you shift too fast. Using the clutch prevents that.

This is the problem. You played AC and got used to the way it poorly transfers weight, which is where you think there is "too much grip under acceleration".
No, and I used to agree with you. I do agree that PC2 does a fine job of modeling weight transfer (it feels great under braking), but you're not going to convince me that a Lotus 49 or a Sauber C9 running full boost should understeer when I give it full throttle in 1st gear. I've driven many > 500hp cars IRL, some with slicks - and none of them had this characteristic (quite the opposite).

Even the most die-hard PC defenders (which includes myself) have been forced to concede this point. The 917K it particularly afflicted: The car simply will never break traction under acceleration, which makes it understeer worse than a 70's family sedan.

SMS is aware of the problem. They've decided not to fix it because they feel it'll make the cars too difficult for their target audience (Forza and GT players).

There, I said it.

but you're not going to convince me that a Lotus 49 or a Sauber C9 running full boost should understeer when I give it full throttle in 1st gear. I've driven many > 500hp cars IRL, some with slicks - and none of them had this characteristic (quite the opposite).

I don't know what you're talking about. Neither of those cars exhibit that behavior in my experience. It's actually quite easy to light up the tires in both cars.

The auto clutch it has is in the options menu. The clutch in this game is about the same as it is in rF2. The only difference is that you can miss gears in PCars 2 if you shift too fast. Using the clutch prevents that.
No, if you deactivate autoclutch you still have an autoclutch if you misused your manual clutch. You can use your H shifter without touching your clutch while having deactivated auto-clutch (don't forget to lift and blip). The only thing the game does is gearing slower than if you manually clutch. It's a well known simplification, the only one the game has on the clutch. Other games have different simplifications on the clutch (in AC you get an automatic start and clutch for the first gear, it's maybe worse, depends on your taste...), others just simulate the clutch as it should be.

Wow, that was a surprise announcement...Third time the charm? IDK, I think that Ian Bell and SMS might have something to prove here, and will surprise us all. Let's hope.

PC1+2 might not have been the bees knees for some, but they brought the genre a lot of recognition and new features. I played PC1 more than PC2 though.
*def looking forward to hearing more about PC3:thumbsup:

Bad track-side engine sounds on most cars and rigid replay system, are enough to put PC2 on the bottom of my play list. It is still interesting to watch how this PC3 will develop but it seems without major overhaul to the game engine, it will still coming up as "a game that could be better" and leave me wishing it can be easily modded. Anyway, after PC2 I'm pretty much convinced that I am not fit to SMS intended market.

Project Cars 2 was a huge disappointment to me... I'm very suspicious when a developper tries all kinds of cars at once: open wheelers, GT, prototypes, rallycross... I much prefer when a company concentrates on one type of cars and gets it right. R3E is a good example: love their GT cars, but I'm not crazy about their open wheel cars.

So many of you predicted that PCars 3 will be announced 1 month after PCars 2 release tho. Apparently this time they mean serious.:rolleyes:
Nah they just didn't announce it so early on but really it's probably been devolved for the last 12 months and nearly ready for a bug filled release ;) we can all look forward to some awesome sounding (sarcasm) pretty looking trailers in the very near future!

PC2 was a massive improvement on PC1 in nearly every way, so if PC3 can follow that same upward trajectory then it should be great. Played PC2 for a long time and enjoyed it but eventually got bored without a custom offline championship. That feature needs to be there day 1 in PC3.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.