AMD Ryzen For Simracing?

I'm looking to upgrade in the next few months to a stronger Ryzen cpu. Currently running a Ryzen 5 2600X on an Asus X470 pro board. I'm wondering if the the new Ryzens will work with my X470 or would I be better to go for a 3700X or similar. Running a GTX 1660Ti on a 32" 144p, 144hz monitor and a Rift S and this system can handle both without any real problems, but I want more headroom, especially for vr. There will also be a new GPU later in the year when Nvidia release the details of the next gen cards.

I'm looking to upgrade in the next few months to a stronger Ryzen cpu. Currently running a Ryzen 5 2600X on an Asus X470 pro board. I'm wondering if the the new Ryzens will work with my X470 or would I be better to go for a 3700X or similar. Running a GTX 1660Ti on a 32" 144p, 144hz monitor and a Rift S and this system can handle both without any real problems, but I want more headroom, especially for vr. There will also be a new GPU later in the year when Nvidia release the details of the next gen cards.

If this performance is okay, you'll be fine with either a 3600 or 3700 series processor.
I went that exact route and couldn't be happier.
I initially had an MSI X470 Gaming Plus with the R5 2600X.
I sold that combination and went to the B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC with a R5 3600X. That particular Pro Carbon had better VRM, hence the backward choice.
I updated the BIOS to the very latest and it has been rock stable and extremely smooth. Not a single hiccup.
I had great experiences with both combinations in everything...including VR.

Last edited:
I don't run VR but I do run 1080p 144hz triples
To be honest the 3600x could manage it, I think, but I went the 3800x as it wasn't much different in price here from the 3700x and, I started looking into recording videos and streaming etc., so I paired it with a 2070S and it seems to be pretty decent. Still have to scale back a lot to get it smooth but it's rarely noticeable.
Same board, B450 gaming pro carbon as @Terry Rock and also solid as they come, strange how somehow MSI nailed it with the lower spec board but then can't compete with the x4/570s...
I couldn't be happier with the choice either but I know a 3070s or ti down the road will give me extra glitz n glamour with 30+ cars on ultra etc.

It depends on your exact motherboard but amd stated that there will be bios updates for x470 so it will work.
Maybe just not at release but 1-2 months later.

I would wait for the ryzen 4xxx. What's known about them looks massive. Look at the laptop cpu's that are currently hitting the market!

But the jump for simracing (only 2-4 cores used) from 2xxx to 3xxx is pretty big too.
So maybe buy a 3600 now and replace it with a 4700x when the bios update for your motherboard will be available :)

Thanks guys. I'll probably look at an 3700x or 3800x in a month or so. I guess the new chips will have an impact on the pricey 3900 series more than the lesser two. Best bang for buck will be the idea, I think.

I'm thinking of buying a PC and want to spend at most 1500€ on it.
For the graphics card, right now I'm looking at a 2080s and either a 3700x or a 10600k. I mainly simrace and my goal is in the future being able to comfortably be in VR in ACC and maybe future titles. So as I read the thread I took away that Intel is currently the way to go, but what do you think of the 10600k? Should I save some money and go for the 2080ti? I will build the PC in September, so the 3000 series will be out. Should I wait for them?

10600k with a Z490 board (to allow overclocking) provides currently the best performance, more than six cores isn't really used be sims. GPU is tricky indeed. Bear in mind that RTX 3080 when it gets released will provide at least RTX 2080 Ti like performance and it could also be as much as 30% ahead with the price being several hundred dollars cheaper.

Bear in mind that RTX 3080 when it gets released will provide at least RTX 2080 Ti like performance and it could also be as much as 30% ahead with the price being several hundred dollars cheaper.
?
I assume you base that off past experiences?
In my experience and that is a very limited one as i only use Race and flight sims the 30% jump you see in synthetic benchmarks is more like 5-15% FPS in sims.
Now that could be CPU bottleneck.

The price as fare as I understand is not decided and in the end the market will decide the price.
But I do hope you are right!
Even I do not plan to upgrade unless I get a higher resolution VR headset too.

every good cpu will do (ryzen 2/3XXX or intel 7700K) yet i do think that a cheaper cpu and more expensive GPU would make more differents.
Bottlenecks will be limited unless you play 4K or VR than you need to find a balance (mid tear cpu wil do fine tho).

Currently 10600k is best value. I got it, super happy.
But it only runs at 4.9 GHz stable with nice voltages.
10700k or 10900k will clock quite a bit higher. Not worth it IMHO though.
I'd rather upgrade in 2 years again for a 12600k.

But since you're planning for September..
Definitely wait!!!

Ryzen 4xxx is expected to have better performance than the current Intels while having the same low power consumption of the current ryzen 3xxx.
They will very likely be released for Christmas.

Same for Nvidia 3xxx. Nice performance boost while costing less is expected.

I always say "upgrade when you need it, or you'll wait forever". But when it's about 0-1 month for gpu and 2-3 months for cpu...
Don't buy it now...

If you really want to get everything the moment the Nvidia cards are released:
But a B550 Mainboard and put a cheap 3600 in it and then sell it and buy a 4700x when it's released.

If it's a game-changer it can wait, September is more of a fictional deadline I put up for myself, because my current laptop struggles to reach 60fps in AC hotlapping. So I wanted to finally treat myself with a competent system

If it's a game-changer it can wait, September is more of a fictional deadline I put up for myself, because my current laptop struggles to reach 60fps in AC hotlapping. So I wanted to finally treat myself with a competent system
Well the first benchmarks of the ryzen 4xxx laptop cpu's already beat quite a lot of desktop cpu's so yes, it looks like the ryzen 4xxx desktop cpu's will take over the gaming crown and force Intel to really up their game in the next years.

Same for Nvidia 3000. Might be just as big of a step as 9xx to 10xx was. Which was a lot!

Or maybe a big navi 2 as well, the word is that it's 50% faster than the RTX 2080Ti.
Yes, of course. I'm just not that up to date with amd gpu's as I'm locked to Nvidia due to my gsync monitor...
Ofc I've bought that monitor a few months before Nvidia unlocked the gsync compatible stuff :p

Hi! maybe it could "help", hope my english will be fine ;) :

i recently changed my Pc for a Ryzen 3900x (set to 4,3ghz all core for 1.275 volts), 32go Ram 3200, RTX2080ti with no OC and i have a rock solid 60fps (gsync locked) with ultra settings on my Samsung Ultrawide 49" (5120X1440)
Every conditions (i drove by night with heavy rain for testing.. ) with 25 cars on track. I just unchecked the volumetric fog and set the mirror to high preset. No modifications in the engine.ini.

Actually i have some frames drop at the begenning of some races when i start the race near 6pm.. to many lights/shadows/and cars in the mirrors with this sunset conditions.. It drop between 52/55 fps for few seconds. So i'm no complain of course ;)

The FoV wasn't properly set (and this is not the good view, it's only for youtube purpose) but you could check one of my test drive at Barthurst with rainy conditions on "my youtube channel" (edit: lol) . As i said, ultra settings 60fps locked.

I was just about to comment that I very much doubt you have rock solid 60 fps with Ryzen 3900x, especially one crippled by a manual overclock of 4.3 all-core, but then you admit you have framerate drops, so... ;)

Haha, yeah i know.. it's only for sharing my experience with a ryzen (my first one) Maybe it could help some peoples because the last Intel gen is a strong one.. but maybe some people would hesitate because AMD is better for multi tasking. I come from intel for the last 20 years and now i can tell: "don't be afraid, you can work and play with a Ryzen , go for it! :D"

Ok it's a high end rig, no doubts on it.. and i'm feeling lucky about that. ok i can race with more fps (between 72-80) but.. yeah i have some few frames drops in some conditions with ACC like i said...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back