AMD Ryzen For Simracing?

LLC is on auto which may explain it, though dont want to pump too many volts through it.

I have been trying to find out (but with completely unsucessful results) what happens when increasing TDC and EDC on a manually tuned ryzen CPU. With PBO the FiT limits stop it going too far, but manually they wont (i presume). As with the lower voltage comes higher current, and according to Ryzen Master im pinned to my current limits. But no idea if the extra amps will damage the CPU or if its just VRM protection (which PBO seems to suggest in its userguide).

Tweaking PC is a addiction :x3:

Unless I value my time at nothing 100's of hours of benching easy pays for better gear

I still got to chuckle at tests these days that say OH we ran this and that at low resolution otherwise the results would be closer .......like dur :roflmao:

Does anyone know if the SVM mode (virtualization) should normally have any effect on peak performance? It's been annoying me for a while. If I accidentally leave SVM mode enabled in BIOS (I need it for work), my games tend to run noticeably worse. And I don't know if it's maybe Windows-related (it uses virtualization for some subsystem under the hood or something) or not, I can't really find any resource on this topic.

On the Intel side, it's recommended to turn off virtualisation amongst other things when overclocking. I guess it's to eliminate workload that may be applied which could detract from your CPU's available resource eg. heat and power.

Sorry though, I can't answer your question on why SVM enabled has an affect on performance.

Personally, I have always thought the recommendations to turn off virtualization support is complete nonsense that might've been relevant maybe like a decade ago at best, but people kept repeating it so it became a "recommended practice" simply due to this. Kinda like the spring and damper nonsense, or the recommendation to set the swap file size to double the RAM size (or, alternatively, turn it off completely).

I can't possibly imagine how it would affect anything, and never turn it off myself.

I'm fairly sure enabling virtualization in itself shouldn't affect performance, I'm just trying to figure out if it affects something else which does, like PBO or some Windows service.

Well looks like they finally put Intel away in the single core argument.
Question is which chip to get. Trying to avoid getting involved on the launch day hype train but could really do with a 5800x asap to reduce the triple 1080p start line / first lap CPU bottlenecks in RF2 and iRacing. Even with the cost uplift with my setup its a better investment than get a next gen GPU.
CPU launch is on the 5th of November.

Personally, I have always thought the recommendations to turn off virtualization support is complete nonsense that might've been relevant maybe like a decade ago at best, but people kept repeating it so it became a "recommended practice" simply due to this. Kinda like the spring and damper nonsense, or the recommendation to set the swap file size to double the RAM size (or, alternatively, turn it off completely).

I can't possibly imagine how it would affect anything, and never turn it off myself.

Both virtualization bios options on the Intel platforms have a measurable impact on performance. Both synthetics and gaming workloads (using capframeEx)

Last edited:
Great strides by AMD.
This whole silly notion that a chip must operate above 5 GHz is now 'laid to rest'.
Who came up with that standard anyway?
Efficiency per clock cycle is what matters most.

Great strides by AMD.
This whole silly notion that a chip must operate above 5 GHz is now 'laid to rest'.
Who came up with that standard anyway?
Efficiency per clock cycle is what matters most.

As long as CPUs have existed its been easier to sell a higher number clock speed than talk about something like IPC that is difficult to tangibly understand. But its fine, I'm sure Intel fanboys will still cling to this for a while longer. I'm sure there will be plenty of excuses as well to wait for Rocket Lake next year as many people not comfortable switching brands to something they have never used before.
But if Intel have to push TDP up yet again to compete it'll be painfully obvious they are simply just behind now.

That was the other impressive thing in this presentation. 28% uplift with no uplift in TDP at all.

Really tempted by the new 5000s. I get real CPU issues with my 4690k running big grids in Assetto and if I want to be running 120fps I'm going to need something with a fair bit more power. I still play old stuff like FSX etc so the boost in single core performance will be welcome.

Just a pain swapping motherboard, RAM etc. Especially as my PC is mini-ITX.

Really tempted by the new 5000s. I get real CPU issues with my 4690k running big grids in Assetto and if I want to be running 120fps I'm going to need something with a fair bit more power. I still play old stuff like FSX etc so the boost in single core performance will be welcome.

Just a pain swapping motherboard, RAM etc. Especially as my PC is mini-ITX.
Assetto uses only 2-3 cores so you'll not notice the multi-core performance there either.
As long as you got 4 cores it's single thread, single thread and single thread performance.
Quite literally with 2-3 cores that are used, lol :p

Assetto uses only 2-3 cores so you'll not notice the multi-core performance there either.
As long as you got 4 cores it's single thread, single thread and single thread performance.
Quite literally with 2-3 cores that are used, lol :p

Pegs all 4 threads on my CPU.

I think there’s one master thread which can’t be shared (which isn’t massively intensive) and then uses as many cores as you’ve got for AI. It was all explained in a post by one of the AC devs, I think proper multithreading support was patched in sometime.

Regardless, going to a 5xxx will yield massive increases in per-clock performance anyway.

Pegs all 4 threads on my CPU.

I think there’s one master thread which can’t be shared (which isn’t massively intensive) and then uses as many cores as you’ve got for AI. It was all explained in a post by one of the AC devs, I think proper multithreading support was patched in sometime.

Regardless, going to a 5xxx will yield massive increases in per-clock performance anyway.
Are you talking about acc?
For AC you might see 4 cpu threads being loaded to high percentages but when looking into the application threads, there are 2 big threads, 1 not so big thread and a few very little ones

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.