AMD Ryzen For Simracing?

The performance boost in gaming isn't going to be massive against an overclocked 7700k. If you simply have the mod bug and are dying to upgrade something, you can't really go wrong with the 5600x.
I just get some CPU issues in AC with CSP but really it is near perfect for my resolution and framerate. But yeah i have this itch and i'm not getting a GPU in this market and the CPU/Mobo combo seems cheap compared to what i paid for the 7700k alone some 4 years ago.

The AMD 5x00X series is just a really great chip so I say go for it.

I wouldn't say it doubled my framerates or anything like that, but I went from having to worry about my CPU keeping up if I made a grid too large, to not.

I'm seriously considering getting 5600x/B550 to replace my 7700k/z170 PC for 5760x1080 while I wait for GPU prices to come to normal again. Is it worth the $580aud pairing the 5600x with my 1080ti?
What ram mhz are you running?

Do a 3 thread cinebench r15 ram to simulate the load of AC.
4 thread run for acc.

You can select it in the top left menu somewhere. "custom number of threads".
Then click in the normal "cpu" button, not the cpu single!

Tell me the scores, I'll throw them into my excel spreadsheet and tell you what fps you could expect from the upgrade.

Faster ram will give a little bit on top (7700k probably at 2466?)

CB15.gif

CPU-Z.gif

Currently not at the pc but I saved this Screenshot on my phone.

IMG_20210730_000219_879.jpg

You can do simple rule of three to get your theoretical fps.

5600x scores 743 points, your cpu scores 554 if I understood the image correctly?

Seems a bit low for the 8700k...

Anyway, when you have 90 fps for vr, the 5600x would push out 743/554 * 90 = 120.7 fps.

Or asking for "at what settings would I still achieve 90 fps", you would have to adjust your settings to reach 554/743 * 90 = 67 fps.

For acc, going from 2666 to 3200 mhz will give another few fps. Not sure how it scales on amd but here's the acc scaling with my 10600k:
IMG_20210730_000954_101-01.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm going to play devil's advocate and suggest that you hold fire as you need a complete platform rather than just a cpu swap.

In around nine months time, there will not only be something faster, but also on a new socket. If AM4 is anything to go by there should be a couple of generations of cheapish upgrades on offer. Just a thought.
Yep.. Currently it's a great time and a bad time to buy new CPUs.
On one hand the Ryzen 5xxx took a massive leap and really shreds through almost any game right now so getting one will definitely feel like a good upgrade.

On the other hand Ryzen 6xxx and Intel 12th Gen will be a pretty massive overhaul with little cores and big cores etc. Maybe with ddr5 too.

But I doubt that it's only 9 month. I'd guess more like December 2022...

Last edited:
What ram mhz are you running?

4 thread run for acc.

You can select it in the top left menu somewhere. "custom number of threads".
Then click in the normal "cpu" button, not the cpu single!

Tell me the scores, I'll throw them into my excel spreadsheet and tell you what fps you could expect from the upgrade.

Faster ram will give a little bit on top (7700k probably at 2466?)
3000MHz 15-15-15-35
3 Core
3 Core.png

4 Core
4 Core.png

8 Core
8 Core.png

I only chose the B550 after watching Buildzoid talk through this video. The Aorus Pro V2 to be exact.
From my experience with the 2 5600x builds from friends, all that stuff barely matters for the little 6 core cpu.
You can't really get more core clock out of it no matter the mobo quality and it's so efficient, that it doesn't really stress the mobo either.
The highest memory you can run is 3800 mhz with the infinity fabric at 1900 mhz.
But that's already a heavy oc and from my testing last week with 4133 mhz ram in my 10600k, past 3200 mhz, there's barely anything to gain.

That's why I would simply recommend to get the cheapest "quality" motherboard with the features you need.

I can recommend the msi mpg b550 gaming plus.
Lots of slots, USBs etc.
According to some videos the vrms are not the best, but solid and it has a fewer layers than the more expensive boards.

But the one friend of mine only paid 104€ for it and it runs absolutely stable with 2x 8 GB 3600 cl16 and a slight pbo undervolt + higher boost clock.

The thing about these 6 cores "budget" CPUs is that you buy them not to be future proof but to have the highest performance for simracing right now.

So saving 100-200€ in the motherboard and another 50-100€ on the ram almost equals another budget cpu build in 2-3 years with a 6600x or 7600x!

3 threads would mean 90 fps with the amd and 71 fps for your current cpu.

4 threads = 90 for AMD, 66 for yours.

I don't have data for 8 cores but since you're running only virtually 8 cores, the 6 core / 12 thread amd will blow it out of the water, naturally :p

From my experience with the 2 5600x builds from friends, all that stuff barely matters for the little 6 core cpu.
You can't really get more core clock out of it no matter the mobo quality and it's so efficient, that it doesn't really stress the mobo either.
The highest memory you can run is 3800 mhz with the infinity fabric at 1900 mhz.
But that's already a heavy oc and from my testing last week with 4133 mhz ram in my 10600k, past 3200 mhz, there's barely anything to gain.

That's why I would simply recommend to get the cheapest "quality" motherboard with the features you need.

I can recommend the msi mpg b550 gaming plus.
Lots of slots, USBs etc.
According to some videos the vrms are not the best, but solid and it has a fewer layers than the more expensive boards.

But the one friend of mine only paid 104€ for it and it runs absolutely stable with 2x 8 GB 3600 cl16 and a slight pbo undervolt + higher boost clock.

The thing about these 6 cores "budget" CPUs is that you buy them not to be future proof but to have the highest performance for simracing right now.

So saving 100-200€ in the motherboard and another 50-100€ on the ram almost equals another budget cpu build in 2-3 years with a 6600x or 7600x!

3 threads would mean 90 fps with the amd and 71 fps for your current cpu.

4 threads = 90 for AMD, 66 for yours.

I don't have data for 8 cores but since you're running only virtually 8 cores, the 6 core / 12 thread amd will blow it out of the water, naturally :p
If i do do it i will reuse the 3000 c15 RAM, the NHu14 cooler and everything else in my current build, just swap out the mobo and CPU. The Aorus is $169 aud and 5600x is $415, i paid $500 for my 7700k 4 yrs ago, lol
If i notice many/any CPU stutters with current settings over the weekend (it was only AC with CSP bothering me) in all my gaming i will do it, otherwise i will just hold for a bit longer and see what comes....heck its been my current build for 4 + years, lol what's another year :whistling:

I also ponder 5600x and suppose getting one of the better X570 boards (e.g. Aorus Master or TUF Gaming X570-Plus) that support faster DRAM and NVMe may yield better long term cost effectiveness.
AMD Smart Access Memory Technology
I have the x570 Tuf Gaming Plus paired with a 3900x. It's a good board if you want the 8 Sata ports. The down side is it doesn't have the USB-C front header port. You will need the jump up to the PRO version if a front USB-C is a necessity. The Pro version also has 2.5Gb LAN. I might pick up one of these if I finally decide to build my home media server.

Hey chap - doing the good lord's work as usual I see :D. Any chance you would be willing to share your spreadsheet? I'm interested to know how you do the estimation.
I'll drop it here in a few hours.
Estimation is as simple as it can be. I had a look in process explorer to see how many threads the Sims do really use to significant extend.
Also disabled cores until the fps dropped significantly.

Found out ac uses about 3 threads, acc about 4. It's fluctuating and of course very complex scheduling from windows. But I've found that my cinebench r15 scores with 3 and 4 rendering threads (the newer versions use avx so I use r15 only) correlate to my fps quite well, overclocking/underclocking my cpu.

In short, I just take the r15 3-thread and 4-thread scores, set one score as the fps I like and do the rest simply by percentage.
Very simple. If the cpu you have scores 200 points and the cpu you wanna buy scores 400 points and your current cpu only achieves 50 fps, then the new cpu will achieve 100 fps :p

The spreadsheet is quite a mess though. Just throwing in all scores I can find and do some random calculations :roflmao:

@GeekyDeaks
I hope you enjoy this haha
Thanks so much chap! I think you might need to go look up what 'quite a mess' actually means though ;)

It looks like I'll get something in the region of a 50% uplift by going to a 5600X, which would probably mean I can run a few other sims at 90fps.

For reference, the numbers I got were as follows:

Code:
 3T  | 4T
-----|------
 485 | 647
 487 | 645
 489 | 644

I have a pretty frugal system - just an i5 9600F (seems to be 3.9GHz under load) with fairly lethargic memory at 2666.

I only recently realised the F in the CPU model means 'f*@# all chance to OC' :D

Thanks so much chap! I think you might need to go look up what 'quite a mess' actually means though ;)

It looks like I'll get something in the region of a 50% uplift by going to a 5600X, which would probably mean I can run a few other sims at 90fps.

For reference, the numbers I got were as follows:

Code:
 3T  | 4T
-----|------
485 | 647
487 | 645
489 | 644

I have a pretty frugal system - just an i5 9600F (seems to be 3.9GHz under load) with fairly lethargic memory at 2666.

I only recently realised the F in the CPU model means 'f*@# all chance to OC' :D
Hehe yeah it's not that messy, just lacking titles and explanations for someone who doesn't know what's what :D

9600 at 3.9 GHz + 2666 mhz isn't that great yeah.. Not bad either, but the 5600x with 3600 ram should blow it out of the water quite nicely!

About memory: have a look at post 966:

In my testing, I've found that going from 2666 to 3200 gives a bigger fps boost than going from 4 cores to 6 cores in ACC!

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea