AMD Ryzen For Simracing?

index.php

I'd really like to finally start to see 2 thread benchmarks or 3 thread benchmarks. Nobody tests this...
But barely any game runs on ONE thread! AC, rF2, R3E and multiple other games I play all run on 2-4 threads.

With the last Ryzen gens, the performance dropped significantly when throwing 2 or 3 threads at it in cinebench. They were good at boosting ONE core but dropped a lot when trying to boost 2-3 cores at the same time.

But: looks freaking awesome anyway! Let's see if I can throw a rocket lake i5 at my z490 motherboard next year. If not I have some friends who'd like a cheap upgrade. Gonna be time to Ryze then, finally :p

fastest single core plus the most cores is factually and simply better :x3:
You would think no one multi tasks :geek:

Pay $3000AU ( here ) for 3090 and go cheap on CPU what sense does that make

Last edited:
Ouch! Really? Oh dear... I thought it would be a great one with 16 threads or something :O_o:
Yeah. It was great watching people benchmark it with 24 thread CPUs and singing praises on how great the optimization is that it only uses a fraction of their CPU power, so clearly isn't CPU limited in any way, and enjoying how clueless these people can be.

(Then some more benchmarks came out from people who at least have some idea of what they're doing that kinda took it away, but you still get countless people talking about how their game doesn't run that well, but they're clearly not CPU limited since the game only uses 15% of their CPU.)

Gamers Nexus YouTube reviews for the Zen3 processors are out. Looks like Intel finally has some single core performance competition. :thumbsup:

It looks as though unlike Ryzen 3000, 5000 series are able to clock all core at or above the stated limit without too much trouble, while also single core boosting 200mhz above that limit depending on your cooling. The OC3D reviewer was able to manual OC a 5600x to 4.8ghz all core on 1.265v. It boosted even higher on PBO touching 5ghz for single thread workloads of course, obviously a golden sample but still that's very impressive considering its marketed as max 4.6ghz. Maybe they went conservative on the marketing numbers this time because of the **** they got last year.

The dual rank ram thing is a mute point really as Intel gets the same benefit, but yeah it looks to really like either using 2x dual rank sticks or 4x single rank gives a significant performance boost as much as 10% for Ryzen 5000 obviously only useful if you are pushing high refresh rates, I mean why else would you buy one of these?! So these CPUS are looking to be getting as tuneable as Intel now which is awesome!

Getting hold of a cpu though. I've moved to Switzerland now and there are literally none available and no pre orders available either. Digitec only had the 5600x at launch which went instantly, no stock of anything else, will see if stock comes in over the next few weeks but not hopeful getting one before Christmas.

In UK overclockers.co.uk pre-orders are getting more expensive by the day. Not hopeful of supply being sorted within 3 months TBH. Feels like another paper launch to me. Time will tell in the coming weeks I guess.

obviously only useful if you are pushing high refresh rates, I mean why else would you buy one of these?! So these CPUS are looking to be getting as tuneable as Intel now which is awesome!
Yes and no imo. What do you mean with "high refresh rates"?
A bit of nitpicking and in general I agree with you!
But:
My 10600k at 4.9 GHz all core and 3466 mhz 2x single rank 8gb drops down to the 70's in acc when the field is packed and more than 10 cars visible.
So basically everyone who wants to run his vr headset at native 90 hz has to either have a 9900k or 10900k at above 5 GHz or buy a new Ryzen.
Also I think wanting to have constant 90 fps for sim racing isn't really "high refresh rate". Sure, it's not 60 fps with vsync, but it's closer to that than 144 fps or even more.
Feels like another paper launch to me. Time will tell in the coming weeks I guess.
The stock wasn't enough for the demand but it wasn't a paperlaunch like the Nvidia 3000 series either. Mindfactory states they sold "thousands" of the new Ryzen CPUs on launch day.
Compared to the 20 or 30 Nvidia GPUs available at launch, a few thousands doesn't sound like a paperlaunch.
I guess we'll have to wait for the next ship to arrive in Europe to get one from the next batch.

Crazy times...

Yes and no imo. What do you mean with "high refresh rates"?
A bit of nitpicking and in general I agree with you!

Fair enough I am frequently guilty of making over simplified statements, I kind of mean buying a 5600x over say a 3600 or 3600XT, the only reason I could think of would be if you have a 144hz or faster monitor, but I didn't really consider VR in that statement which I probably should have done.
So yes one of these would totally make sense for VR as you need the fastest single core performing CPU you can get. Now there is a 'top of the line' option below £300.

A 5600x is looking very good especially if you are up for pushing it with good cooling and memory tuning. Its a far cheaper solution than a 9900k or 10900k for equal or better performance. But I think the spirit of what I was trying to say is, even the 5600x is not a budget CPU.

The stock wasn't enough for the demand but it wasn't a paperlaunch like the Nvidia 3000 series either. Mindfactory states they sold "thousands" of the new Ryzen CPUs on launch day.
Compared to the 20 or 30 Nvidia GPUs available at launch, a few thousands doesn't sound like a paperlaunch.
I guess we'll have to wait for the next ship to arrive in Europe to get one from the next batch.

Sure, I think I'm just in the wrong place, there are no dates stated on when this will improve at the moment. I'll keep checking various outlets, ones that can deliver here. Mindfactory don't even seem to list the parts on the website at the moment?

I'm kind of set on a 5800x even though its the worst value chip in the lineup, I just want to drop it in and forget about it for a few years at this point till the MB, RAM and everything needs to be swapped out.

Well looks like it will hit nearly 100fps in 4k with the 3080. In 144op it was a bit over 100fps.
(4k High, 1440p Epic)

Last edited:
If you getting AMD GPU look out for motherboard bios for Smart Access Memory... apparently improves performance and you need to have before GPU
Updated my X570 Master no problem

......require a BIOS update for the Ryzen 5000 series in advance

Astonished by fps gain I getting in rFactor2 with 5600X vs 3900X ( RTX 2080 @ 1440p )

Last edited:
Narrowed it down to Asus Dark Hero and probably 5900X. But I am a patient man. Not the best value chip, but will see. 5600x clearly the one to go with.

Last edited:
I received my 5800x today. Its really quite impressive and i am surprised at the boost to ACC. I had read that their would be a higher FCLK attainable but this has not been the case with mine.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.