Amazing: Ilja's lights shader mod now has your car reflections in mirrors

Apologies for the badly-worded thread title. I'm a little excited!
This is simply incredible in VR. Immersion goes off the scale.

Download the review51 version of Ilja's light patch
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...0168374293/lights-patch-v0.1.23-preview51.zip
(drag the zip file into CM)

In:
steam/steamapps/common/assettocorsa/extension/config/smart_mirror.ini
paste the following and save:
[REAL_MIRRORS]
ENABLED=1
SHOW_CAR=1

And you now will have the inside of the car and the rear window showing in your rear-view mirror, and the sides of the car showing in your wing mirrors. And if you are playing as God intended (VR) then.... the view in the mirrors will move when you move your head.
You know when, in real car, you lean forward to check your blind spots in your wing mirrors? Yep. That's now possible. BUT YOU CAN NOW SEE YOUR CAR IN THE REFLECTION TOO.
Amazing in tip-tops, amazing in open-tops.

The app for the in-game adjustments (including individual mirror adjustment L/R/U/D and FoV) is here:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/453595062299918337/481608826269859870/AccExtMirrors.7z
(drag the zip file into CM)
(don't forget to tick it in Assetto Corsa -- Apps in CM settings)

Ilja is a bloody WARLOCK. He's starting to scare me now.

Last edited:
I'll have to try this and see the impact on CPU performance. Pcars2 also does this and it looks great.

thanks!

PCars2 does not have the in car reflection nor the view of the side in the side mirrors. In car view is what makes this so good and feel like the real thing.

Does pCARS 2 reflect your own car in the mirrors, so the rear window/back seats are in the rear-view mirror and the sides of the car are visible in the wing mirrors? I must say I never noticed that in my pre-refund time with the game. It was a long time ago though.

I thought this was pretty much a first for sim racing mirrors?

This is not a first, LFS had that for a long time, but not much of anything else.:p
Still, their real mirrors are still the best at the moment, so sad their cars are not real cars model, except for the BMW Formula .

I tried this MOD yesterday. It adds to the immersion when using VR. Unfortunately my FPS is all over the place. I struggled to get stable FPS with just me on track. I can normally run upto 20 AI cars in VR and maintain 90 FPS.

I switched it off in the end. But im going to keep trying future updates. If a future update allows me to maintain 90 FPS I will keep it switched on.

Maybe upgrading from a 980Ti to a 1080Ti might fix the problem though.

Hopefully it gets better. Good luck to the guy or guy's working on it.

Thanks

I tried this MOD yesterday. It adds to the immersion when using VR. Unfortunately my FPS is all over the place. I struggled to get stable FPS with just me on track. I can normally run upto 20 AI cars in VR and maintain 90 FPS.

I switched it off in the end. But im going to keep trying future updates. If a future update allows me to maintain 90 FPS I will keep it switched on.

Maybe upgrading from a 980Ti to a 1080Ti might fix the problem though.

Hopefully it gets better. Good luck to the guy or guy's working on it.

Thanks
For now you can try limiting the number of mirrors getting updated each frame with the RENDER_PER_FRAME setting in the ini file. Helps with FPS but of course mirrors will be get bit choppy.

Currently working on only updating visible mirrors.

in case you want to give it a try, the latest version from discord gives some performance improvements, especially in VR where you rarely see all the mirrors at once. set RENDER_ONLY_VISIBLE=1

Thanks. I’ll download that tonight and give it a try.

I downloaded the latest and it is much better. I just ran 19 cars at Silverstone and I had a stable 90FPS. I'll carry on using this mod now. I like the lighting effects, but the mirrors are what it's about for me.

Thanks again.

Not sure how to leave a message on the discord. I only joined it today. So I just gave a thumbs up on the latest download link.

Last edited:
Currently my side mirrors look really awkward...latest patch 66 installed..have I missed something here? Why does the car looks so low-res now?

opBigGm.jpg

opBigGm

Thanks. I’ll download that tonight and give it a try.

I downloaded the latest and it is much better. I just ran 19 cars at Silverstone and I had a stable 90FPS. I'll carry on using this mod now. I like the lighting effects, but the mirrors are what it's about for me.

Thanks again.

Not sure how to leave a message on the discord. I only joined it today. So I just gave a thumbs up on the latest download link.
glad it's working out for you. if you want to lose the gained FPS again, I'm working on stereoscopic mirrors :)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.