Accuforce v2 vs. OSW vs. Fanatec Podium DD1? Which one is the best?

I'm in the U.S. and am trying to decide which wheel to buy. I have demoed an Accuforce v2 and it felt great, but i'm wondering if i'm missing anything with the OSW and the soon-to-be-released Podium. "RON reviewt" on YouTube apparently was able to spend some decent time with the Podium at the Fanatec community event on Aug. 25 (in Germany?) and I asked him directly in the comments what his thoughts were on the Accuforce to the OSW to the Podium since Fanatec had all wheel types setup at this event. He seemed genuinely unbiased, and in his comments he said he felt the Podium was smoother than the Accuforce and that the OSW was just slightly smoother than the Accuforce and suggested I wait until more reviews and comparisons are released. Now, this could be due to the fact that Fanatec did not spend too much time tuning up the Accuforce or OSW thus inducing a feeling that the Podium was "smoother". I'm looking for some community feedback to help me with my purchase as I'm wondering if I can just go ahead now and buy the Accuforce with no regrets. And I don't really want to wait until December to buy a first gen product either. Do we think the Podium is going to be that much better than the Accuforce or OSW?

Thoughts?

Here's how the prices break down. The Accuforce is easily the most economical option. And it get's even cheaper on Black Friday when they offer it for $1050 shipped! (i'm not sure if I can wait another 7 weeks)

Accuforce v2 Complete System with Accuforce wheel and button box paddle shifters- $1200 shipped.

Simucube OSW small Mige wheel base - $1300 shipped, + Fanatec wheel/button box $400 = ~ $1700 shipped to the U.S.

Fanatec Podium DD1 = $1040 + Fanatec wheel with paddle shifters and button box $400 = ~ $1440

I understand getting higher end brakes because being able to modulate your brakes consistently makes a very big difference in lap times. I understand for some, racing in VR has also improved their lap times.

With DD wheels what I typically hear is much less tangible. Forgetting the intangible liking how they feel, the comments about performance are typically, " I think I might have recovered from a slide with this direct drive wheel that I might not have with a belted wheelbase."

My point being that I've seen numerous graphs of people's performance in videos and on discord from people who upgraded their brakes or to VR and saw consistent improvement shortly after that upgrade, but I've never seen anything that correlated to a direct drive wheel. People say they think they can feel more nuances and they think they can maybe have slightly better control, but I've never seen anyone show results.

I'm not saying that I'll never get a direct drive wheelbase, but I don't see why they are way up on many people's list compared to say brakes that absolutely allow you to drive better.

I assume that the SimCube 2 and Fanatec DD wheelbases are pretty well shielded so they don't cause the EMI issues that some of the older OSW and Sim Cube wheel bases did.
Ignoring all the stuff about feel, unlike the consumer wheels which are built like crap, you know the DD wheels are built to last problem free, that was more than enough justification for me to get one.

Upvote 0
I understand getting higher end brakes because being able to modulate your brakes consistently makes a very big difference in lap times. I understand for some, racing in VR has also improved their lap times.

With DD wheels what I typically hear is much less tangible. Forgetting the intangible liking how they feel, the comments about performance are typically, " I think I might have recovered from a slide with this direct drive wheel that I might not have with a belted wheelbase."

My point being that I've seen numerous graphs of people's performance in videos and on discord from people who upgraded their brakes or to VR and saw consistent improvement shortly after that upgrade, but I've never seen anything that correlated to a direct drive wheel. People say they think they can feel more nuances and they think they can maybe have slightly better control, but I've never seen anyone show results.

I'm not saying that I'll never get a direct drive wheelbase, but I don't see why they are way up on many people's list compared to say brakes that absolutely allow you to drive better.

I assume that the SimCube 2 and Fanatec DD wheelbases are pretty well shielded so they don't cause the EMI issues that some of the older OSW and Sim Cube wheel bases did.

Upvote 0

When upgrading from my G27 to my CSW 2.5 (first using my Logitech pedals) I instantly shaved off 4 full seconds around the Nordschleife Endurance layout.

Same car, same settings etc.
I would think I was already at a good pace with an 8:15.xxx but with the CSW I could feel the increased grip and resistance due to the aero of the Lambo GT3 when reaching higher speeds.
It were the following spots I instantly went up a few tenths:

1. the uphill and downhill right handers in the middle sectors need a very precise turn in and they also cause instant oversteer when going over the bumps.
I could turn in more precisely and I could also feel the beginning of the oversteer better.

2. during the high speed corners like the entry right hander into "Schwalbenschwanz" I could feel the increased grip. The G27 always basically had the same resistance. Now I have headroom.
In that specific corner alone I got 0.4s quicker!

Summarized there are the following things that made me quicker when going from the cheap G27 to the CSW 2.5.
And I'll explain why a DD wheel wouldn't increase things further for me:

1. No deadzone, smoother turn in:
- the CSW has absolutely no deadzone. In fact the turn in is so tight and smooth that I need to add a bit of dampening to keep it controlled and not overly smooth/easy.

2. More dynamic, feeling the aero and grip levels:
- it's great but I already reduce the absolute dynamic by not using 100% strength. If I do, the spikes from the sims are too strong and make me less smooth. Might be realistic but I don't like getting my hands shaken violently when on the limit and fighting for the last bit of time!

3. Turning speed to make the wheel run into opposite lock when drifting/losing the rear end:
- this is really great! The G27 spun so slowly that you had to "throw" it when drifting. If I disable the dri-setting (dampening) on the CSW the wheel spins to swiftly that it kills my drift when letting go of it.
It has the great advantage of the wheel basically countersteering on its own before I can react.
So when I lose the rear the wheel will correct it and then I'll react and keep the car from going into pendulum mode.
To make it realistic, again, I have to set some slight dampening.

4. Fidelity, "filtering":
- I barely use the full amount of details with the CSW and usually tone it down a little to make details hit more gentle. Again, might be realistic to feel like grinding with your teeth across the tarmac but it surely doesn't make me faster to get the bones in my arms vibrating when speeding down the straights at Sebring in rF2.

So we have 4 points that are extremely improved compared the the G27 but which I tone down a little to make me fast and comfortable.
So the CSW 2.5 already goes a bit "too far" with the things it can deliver.
A DD wheel goes way beyond this but it only means that I would reduce things just more to bring it down to the same feeling.

It will, however, have more clarity while doing so but the question is whether or not the clarity will make a difference or maybe even feel worse.

-------- Story part now :p -----

A friend of mine just upgraded from his T500 to the new Simucube Pro. He got slower because the center was dead.
What was missing?
The natural resistance of the belt, giving some resistance while going straight but basically disappearing once the FFB got the wheel moving.

He then added inertia, dampening, friction. Played around with reduced torques etc.
The clarity he said is awesome but he exactly described the same I did above:
It was too much to be really fast.

I also tested a TS-PC before buying the CSW 2.5 and I have to say the natural resistance while going straight with the TS-PC felt better than the CSW.
But the dynamic headroom and adjustability with the FEI and DRI settings convinced me to sacrifice the straight line feeling.

Now if you're saying that's all bullsh*t let me tell you something to justify what I've written:

In reality you have the 2 wheels with a caster angle constantly tightening and pushing against the center.
So you basically have no deadzone and get a really tight and solid feeling.

The equivalent would be two ffb motors that push against each other.
Oh wait, that's basically the Logitech G2X internals. And it just doesn't work because they will oscillate and result in need for a deadzone.

The solution would be a dynamic damper that gets pretty stiff for the center position.

But how would you still feel details?

In reality you have this really thick center force coming from the two front tyres pushing both into the straight line position but if the tyre gets a bit pushed to the left or right you instantly feel the details because the bump simply turns the tyre and overcomes the "caster-force".
So you would need some kind of damper-algorithm that reduces the dampening and lets the wheel go a bit left and right when getting ffb input.

If someone codes this stuff I'm all up for a DD wheel but until then I have to say a belt does a pretty good job at doing what the real tyres+caster angle do and it's why a TS-PC feels better when driving straight than the CSW 2.5!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Tireless DD naysayers.
Still trying to convince yourself?
Honestly, drive to the house of that 'friend of yours' and try it yourself in something like rF2 or AC. If that will not make you grin ear to ear begging for more, nothing else will, you are just dead inside. :D

Upvote 0
@RasmusP You've hit on a key issue. The software for DD wheels is still being developed. More and more settings are being added. We still haven't seen the "finished" software from Fanatec. I'm not sure about the state of the software from SimCube 2.

I'm sure that they can feel great. The hardware is far more capable if it is driven correctly. The question is, "What is correctly?"

Upvote 0
Tireless DD naysayers.
Still trying to convince yourself?
Honestly, drive to the house of that 'friend of yours' and try it yourself in somerhing like rF2 or AC. If that will not make you grin ear to ear begging for more, nothing else will.
Did that already and this is my opinion, experience and technical conclusion.
Did you drive a nicely set up csw 2.5 for comparison or do you simply try to justify the money you've spend on your DD setup and like to ride the DD yessayer hype wave?

If you would be as correct and right as you state: why should I have the opinion that the ts-pc would be better, when driving straight, than my wheel?

I also provided a technical explanation about how one could improve a DD base to combine the best of both worlds and leave no doubt about it being the best.

But I don't see someone coding an algorithm just for driving straight since nobody really talks about this stuff.
It's all about categorizing people into DD fanboys and tireless naysayers instead of doing a discussion that would lead to improvements.

Btw I didn't see a video yet about the simucube 2 ultimate possibilities. Afaik that software opens the door to stuff like what I describe.

Upvote 0
@RasmusP Playing devils advocate here. There are a lot of people who tried out the CS 2.5 back to back with a bunch of direct drive steering wheels at a show a while back when Fanatec was trying to get their new DD1/2 in front of people. Many people driving them side by side liked the direct dive wheels better.

However your point was not that people don't like DD wheels, but that they may end up driving slower. That is also a tough issue because of how configurable they are. I've read accounts from a few people who initially got their DD wheels and were not happy, had buyers remorse etc.. but then over time they eventually got them dialed in and were very happy with them and feel like a lot is missing going back to a belted wheelbase.

I think a lot of the problem comes down to software and the ability of a DD owner to learn how to dial them in. The other issue is our innate adaptability. We get used to things being a certain way and over time we start to expect things to feel a certain way and anything that feels different feels wrong.

Upvote 0
As a point of reference. I immediately liked my Sprint pedals upgrade as in instantly without having to relearn anything. It took me a day or so to get used to them and get back to where I was and then improve from there. I immediately like my new Index headset and I immediately liked my new Pro Sim H pattern shifter and I immediately liked my new Heusinkveld hand brake and I immediately liked my NLRv3. My Tactile took more experimentation, but I'm very happy with my 4 transducer setup now. There was some time investment there.

I look at a direct drive setup as something that would be different and that I would learn how to take advantage of and I would eventually learn to like. I just don't feel remotely compelled to get one. I love new toys that are all upside. I think DD wheelbases are becoming more refined and have lots of potential. I see them as currently having pros and cons and I'm hoping over time the cons will get worked out.

Upvote 0
However your point was not that people don't like DD wheels, but that they may end up driving slower.
Yep, that was it all about. :)
If course DD wheels feel awesome and are very fun to drive. They are also mostly more fun than my csw.
My csw is also more fun when I ramp it up to full details and full strength.

But I'm slower then!

Setting the wheel up to be the fastest possible needs a certain amount of dynamic in strength to give you all the information you need but at the same time you can "cheat reality" a bit by gaining more control when running limited strength.

I'm sure real life drivers would also become faster if you could reduce the shaking without sacrificing the important informations.
And I guess they would like to limit the steering wheel forces during crashes.

The question here is not whether or not DD wheels can simulate reality better. It's more about whether or not having the reality while simracing is really quicker than... Not having as much reality.

It's a bit like most simracing setups would never be used in real life.

Upvote 0
I typically have my CS 2.5 turned up pretty high. The other day in Dirt Rally 2.0 I went over a cattle grate in the road and I was very surprised by it. It didn't hurt or anything, but it startled me. It definitely didn't help my time.

If I were training for real racing and had the same forces setup, I could see it being useful.

The funny thing about DD wheels is that software like Automobilista specifically add FFB effects to give you feelings that you don't get in a real car. There were complaints about the FFB in Dirt Rally 2.0 when they were trying to make it feel more true to life, but people wanted it to feel "good" not "real".

What people want is a wheelbase that gives them additional information even if that information is not present in a real world car.

What I'm finding is that motion gives me some queues, Transducers give me other queues and some of those go into the steering. Currently there is overlap between what all the systems can do to try to let me know I'm losing traction.

BTW there is part of me that thinks a Sim Cube 2 with a Precision Engineering GT3 wheel would look so darn good that I would get used to it. LOL!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Fastest aliens drive without FFB.:whistling:
It's all about realism and immersion, not necessarily fastest laps.
Although I don't really know how feeling more details and able to tell by feel when tires are losing grip or recover from slides easier can make one slower, unless for the first time users who crank the power all way up essentially killing their ability to be in control of the wheel.
And of course as with everything new, you need to learn new things and develop new habits to take full advantage of provided potential. Even switching to load cell brakes made me slow, very slow initially, until I've learned the difference between positional and resistance based pedal control.

Seriously, if you have ability to test it before buying, do it.
But if you have made up your mind, not me, the whole this board, or Internet will not convince you otherwise, there is no need to justify your choice for us.
CSW is a good wheel, so was my G27 and T300RS.

Upvote 0
I've said repeatedly that I haven't ruled out getting a DD at some point. As I said the SC2 with that GT3 wheel look beautiful to my eyes, so there is already some interest. I am also all about the immersion, but now that I've started in iRacing my performance actually matters to me for the first time ever.

Upvote 0
I feel like I've gotten my last set of pedals, my last shifter, my last hand brake, my last chassis.
My computer and VR headset will always be temporary.
My motion system should be here a while, but I see things evolving very nicely and I suspect I will replace it eventually. I think the PT actuator with Thanos hardware looks good, but the software isn't soup yet and even the hardware continues to evolve.
I feel the same way about my wheelbase. It seems with recent advancements that they are evolving nicely and I think they are getting close, but I'm not quite sold yet.

Everyone has thresholds or tipping points.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There's more to racing than pure pace.. even though I doubt feeling the slip angle more clearly would make me slower. In rf2 at least, tyre wear is a huge issue to overcome with driving style during the race. Often it is the determining factor for the race. I can't help but think a DD would help me save the front tyres by feeling the slip angle properly, especially at tracks like spa and Silverstone. Especially compared to my G27. Not sure how good the csw is

Upvote 0
Right now I feel like I'm getting pretty good usable FFB with my CS 2.5. In iRacing I've been learning to lose traction, control a drift and then regain traction without spinning my car and it's pretty interesting how things lock into place when you regain traction. It is a hairs breath situation. I have my CS 2.5 in iRacing set to 12 over 8Nm. I just got my D licenses in Road and Oval and I plan to use the McLaren GT3 rim with my 488 GT3. I've back-ordered the SRM magnetic shifter upgrade for the McLaren wheel.

I don't feel like my wheelbase is holding me back. Moreover I just have a lot to learn about racing right now and I don't need another distraction. I'm going to try to set a reasonable goal for myself to achieve in iRacing first before I upgrade my wheelbase, because I'll probably get a very nice wheel to go with it. Maybe I should set two goals and get the wheel first, which I can't use until I reach the 2nd goal. LOL! Some way to add fun to this.

Upvote 0
@RasmusP You've hit on a key issue. The software for DD wheels is still being developed. More and more settings are being added. We still haven't seen the "finished" software from Fanatec. I'm not sure about the state of the software from SimCube 2.

I really wish that such software was a more common project, as in open source. A lot of people could contribute a lot. Even if you are not a programmer, the programmers put in options to define behavior via XML files or whatever and non-programmers can submit tuned profiles.

Just a common core, with hardware drivers for the different wheels on one side, and input processors for the different games on the other side.

This closed business has all kinds of disadvantages, let's start with that you might be forced to take a software update because an OS updated is no longer compatible with your old DD software, but you liked the old version of the software better for whatever reason. If it's open source you put in a control to switch between old and new behavior, while moving forward with the OS interface.

Fanatec's people are sitting there re-implementing software that has already been implemented 2+ times. Only to end up with 3 software pieces that all have nice things that the others do not have, when there is no hardware reason why they shouldn't.

Upvote 0
It's good to have dreams and wishes :)

In this niche market, each company is trying to differentiate itself. The hardware between them, while similar in some ways, is very different in others. SimCube 2 even has different processing between their current wheelbases of the same generation with the Ultimate having additional features. I'm sure that they share most software between there 2 series, but their new software is not backwards compatible with the original SimCube and that system receives updates when they decide to pass them down.

Fanatec at least tends to share software across a number of versions. The CS 2.0 and 2.5 for example use the same software or at least the same installation payload.

Upvote 0
Well, leaving behind previous hardware is something I don't like to experience. Sometimes you are forced to use new software (security or OS issues) and then you are out of luck? No thanks.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back