Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Release 4 - Ferrari .jpg

Assetto Corsa Competizione will reach the fourth release milestone tomorrow, adding the Hungaroring circuit and the wonderful Ferrari 488 GT3...

Most sim racers probably know all about the development scheduled for Assetto Corsa Competizione by now, and many of those same people are probably more than a little keen for tomorrow to hurry up and arrive, as Wednesday 12th December 2018 marks the day that release four of this exciting new simulation is scheduled to deploy to Early Access adopters of ACC.

With anticipation and excitement building up rather nicely, Kunos have dropped another new teaser image or two of the feature piece of new content coming to the sim - the wonderful Ferrari 488 GT3...

Only a matter of hours to go now folks, and we will be able to try the car and track for ourselves (ok my rig is at the shop, so I'll have to wait a bit - but don't let that worry you.. go on and enjoy it!)..

ACC Release 4 - Ferrari 3.jpg
ACC Release 4 - Ferrari 2.jpg

Assetto Corsa Competizione is available on Steam Early Access now. Currently at build release 3 status.

To keep abreast of all the latest news and discussions from the world of Assetto Corsa Competizione then don't forget to check out our very own ACC sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

Like what we do here at RD? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Well... thats it for physics I guess...

That was a bit random and out of nowhere. At least you'd point to something in particular what to look at in videos, because it is too random @Mr Deap, also should reconsider the meaning of word "learned", I think we all are just learning. Might as well consider the effects of snow which is deformable surface.

Regarding to which way car should spin. I think it is good and interesting subject, and I don't think that simulators does it essentially wrong, and you do end up spinning towards outside, spinning towards inside, spinning straight. That is wide subject with a lot of branches for sure. I suppose you'd wan't to consider velocity vector of the vehicle, grip differences and rotation velocity differences between inside and outside wheels, balance of grip between front and rear and a million other things which software has to solve, and before that the software has to be written and we have to respect developers and be thankful for that. If we bring skepticism about it we should try to be at least a bit more elaborative.

Another slow speed subject is very interesting IMO, because I suppose physics at low speeds are the most complex. In the videos which you posted @Mr Deap car plows somewhat straight for a short moment before understeering progresivelly because of relaxation length, I think, tire simply has to roll a slight distance before it develop proper cornering force. I suppose relaxation length has to be important tire physics feature for vehicle dynamics at slow speeds, and probably have an impact at medium speeds too. I didn't really get what you mean with Alpine example, it was basically poor driving, really late countersteer. Pay attention that vehicles you pointed out for understeer "plow straight" example are front engined cars, you can see Alpine has no such issue, relaxation length increases when load on tire is increased and decrease as slip ratio/angle gets bigger.

I think slow speeds in simulation might also suffer because of importance of g forces dynamics, as they go through bigger relative changes. Also limitations and problems of force feedback wheels might be felt more then as Leo Bodnar wrote in his article in 2011 by using a tricycle as an example of a vehicle.

Last edited:
@mantasisg and @Mr Deap are you guys related?

Please...... at first compared to flat earther, now with Mr Deap, whats next, you'll compare me to yourself ?

If you can't notice, I'll help you to. I disagree with him, and I think his notes are always poorly thought, very random and at the point where you could consider that as trolling.

However, I think that it is great that he notes things that most would never even think about. Would it be right or wrong. However, I wish he would use more intelectual approach so then perhaps it would be more useful.

I just shared example you can't pull off. No need to be offended.

Simulator are videogames. No need to have a different thought & try to milk things to make it into a different entity.

It's like those newer arcade style games. The physic is far more advanced than the old day simulator.

All those tire data is all great, but they change codes & milk everything. All the sim drive somehow differently despite using the same reference model. This is videogame physic.

Well I was not offended by your examples, even spent time and effort suggesting possible or maybe even obvious explanations and commented on your examples way deeper than you ever would or could. I also added that it is an awesome side of your skeptic observations, would they be right, or badly wrong. I was offended because of being related to you, think about it. ;)

Also you miss suffixes "s" that bugs me out, please stop lol

Simulator are videogames. No need to have a different thought & try to milk things to make it into a different entity.

Ok. Simulators are video games. What about rF Pro, is it also a video game? Why do F1 teams invest millions in playing with video games? rF2 is based of experience ISI collected while developing rF Pro for real teams, so is rF2 a video game then? Where goes the limit between video game and simulator? Be more specific.
All the sim drive somehow differently despite using the same reference model.

It may blow your mind, but all sims are not using the same reference model for the same car. Even for the same manufacturer, different datasets can be obtained with different measurement techniques, for example with regards to tire parameters. This happened recently with a sim car, the developers later got more accurate data from the manufacturer and the car behaviour changed a bit. So your problems may just as well be due to inaccurate data as due to the model itself.

Here another video which is a tad bit more constructive.

The main concern is the disparity of time from a single corner by oversteering mad. Skip to 6:33 to see the comparison with overlay.

Basically this video demonstrate that most people are slower than showcase drift vs an alien which doesn't make any sense if the physic is ultra realistic.

Here another video which is a tad bit more constructive.

The main concern is the disparity of time from a single corner by oversteering mad. Skip to 6:33 to see the comparison with overlay.

Basically this video demonstrate that most people are slower than showcase drift vs an alien which doesn't make any sense if the physic is ultra realistic.

Thanks god they use at least the same number as the rest of the word. =/

• Deleted member 379375

Yeah we have to support developers, but I am less interested in supporting devs which can instantly revert simulation just because people don't like it. Twitchy car ? Sure it is not twitchy anymore. Car is too hard to recover from oversteer ? Suuuure, not anymore. FFB is not like you were used to ? Now it is like you used to... Don't like too much variation in grip levels ? Yeah, lets improve it to be more even. We don't like bumps as well, they make cars unstable !

Now I see thing like "car behavior over kerbs is better", and I think what does "better" mean ? Is it actually more realistic, or it is actually better in terms of less of a trouble ? Way to go. We don't like challenges, take them away :) We don't want to drive we want to raaaaaace, driving gets in a way of racing, so it is unnecessary :)

I am interested to check if viscous hydroplaning over rubbered tarmac is in now. But I suppose they withdrew that, it is obviously too much for usual simracer.

Why are you resurrecting a subject that you were banned for on the official ACC forum.

You raised the question (putting it generously) regarding the devs responding to complaints by suggesting they were dumbing down the sim.
They assured you they weren't and the issues reported were legitimate.
One of those issues which I and many others had was over-damped ffb.
Kunos said there was a ffb issue that they were aware of and that they would fix which they subsequently did. As I pointed out at the time you do not (as far as I am aware) have every type of wheel and have not tested them nor do you have access to the game code.

You are entitled to your opinions but not your own facts and as pointed out by others you rarely (if at all) provide any real evidence for your wild claims.

If you don't like the effect of the changes on your machine that's fine.
You should leave it at that and not accuse the devs of dumbing down and the community of being sheep like or placebo victims or any other way of suggesting you are right and everyone else acknowledging issues is wrong.

Why you resurrecting it now ? :D I am past this, and I suppose it is only waste of time and energy by this point.

I said that physics were dumbed down only once, and it was not well though out expression. I progressively distanced my expressions away from ACC and tried to discuss overall perception of various things. I sincerely raised a lot of subjects which are interesting to discuss. But I mostly only got trolled and fanbooed, and that was the main reason to ban me as I was inflicting this immune system of fanboys.

I never understood whats-up about overdamping in FFB. For me (T300 and used to gyro effect in AC) it was fine, and I expected that if there were an issue with certain wheels, then it would get fixed for certain wheels, however it was obviously not the case. The reason for my reaction is the magnitude of the change, it was huge change.

Explain me, what does it mean to be entitled to your own opinion ? Should I be dishonest with myself and disbelieve myself, I really question if I am correct a lot, trust me, and I don't expect to be absolutely right all the time. Some things at certain scale you can just observe. Of course all my talk is nothing because I'm not a certified mechanical engineer, vehicles dynamic expert, pirelli tires engineer, simulation software developer, blancpain racing driver, alien online. All in one person and in everything having 20+ years full-time experience. There is obviously no reason to just take my words, other than just use your own brain.

The problem is that most doesn't seek knowledge and understanding. You can't completely rely on trust. It is just a game though, users already voted that they want to be immersed, and not actually work as a driver. Lets move on I guess, it is still good simulator.

• Deleted member 379375

I don't want to cause an argument so I won'tr go on too much and I accept you want to move on.

What I mean is opinion is your perception and not necessarily fact.
In short you can't tell someone their ffb is fine if you don't know.
You can say mine is fine and I hope is doesn't change when devs fix other people's.

Or If you ask if the ffb has been dumbed down and devs say no, you should accept that.

Anyway that's my lot on the subject

Various nonsense

The problem is that you are wrong on several levels and you keep obsessing about it and spreading it.

Nothing has been "dumbed down" (wtf does it even mean anyway?), there was an objective bug in the way dampening worked that had been pointed out by a user who actually knows what he's talking about, which was then amended in 0.2, and a slider was introduced to add more control over FFB settings, as the default was not working well on all steering wheels. The plan was always to have these adjustment options, we just didn't want to start with a 18-band equaliser and fruitloops checkboxes to avoid a lot of useless noise in user feedback. The current way still allows the player to use the original settings, if they wished.

I just popped into this thread to find out about the state of the game at this point in development.

Can I assume it is much less of a train wreck than this thread has become?

It's fine. Progressing nicely.
There is always the vocal minority who in order to express themselves have to shout and post on every platform they can about how simulator X isn't to their own personal taste.

Always amazes me with the amount of sims out there (new and old) that people can't find one that suits their taste.
Yes by all means let the Devs know if there is a bug or something wrong but screaming when it's because something isn't how you want it be or excpect it to be? Thats just being an entitled brat.

The problem is that you are wrong on several levels and you keep obsessing about it and spreading it.

Nothing has been "dumbed down" (wtf does it even mean anyway?), there was an objective bug in the way dampening worked that had been pointed out by a user who actually knows what he's talking about, which was then amended in 0.2, and a slider was introduced to add more control over FFB settings, as the default was not working well on all steering wheels. The plan was always to have these adjustment options, we just didn't want to start with a 18-band equaliser and fruitloops checkboxes to avoid a lot of useless noise in user feedback. The current way still allows the player to use the original settings, if they wished.

Plot twist I am sponsored by Ian Bell. I was bought out when I was promised to get free mad box, and free games.

I must have had underrated the power of FFB for vehicle dynamics perception. I also must have failed to get the original settings back.

It is just me, maybe just my head, just various nonsense, no big deal. People are happier with current stuff (I guess).

Jokes aside... thats why I say that Kunos are not encouraging critical thinking, it spoils easy confirmation. To me it is just different set of physics.

As the shots are coming from all directions, i can probably get away with a diversion.
Is there a forum for talking about individual points about the game, i suppose it could mean
criticism, but that not what i mean. Like triple screen support, probability, although that not my
bag. The size of and the brightness of the racing line, the steering wheel, being able to delete it, etc,etc.
:)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back