3ds file makes the Xpacker crash

-Jesse-

25RPM
Mar 18, 2009
What should I do, because every time I try to import a 3ds-file, the xpacker crashes and after that I can not open the Xpack which I was using?

I opened the 3ds in 3dSimEd, turned it into 4 smaller 3ds-files but still it keeps crashing.

Error details attached (error.txt)

Attachments

banger

500RPM
Mar 24, 2009
exploded it, will make it into one object.

used primitive/add object.not import

banger

500RPM
Mar 24, 2009
just took a look at the text you put in, you seem to be missing the default icon, check your support/xpacker folder in btb directory. too see if there a default.icon and dummy texture in there

sorry skip the other reply, i misreaded that.
ed

-Jesse-

25RPM
Mar 18, 2009
Thanks Ed. Yep, they are there:
DefaultIcon.jpg and DummyTexture.dds

Tried with new version, it didn't help either :th_sad:

Eric Tozer

250RPM
Mar 16, 2009
Can you post your 3ds file Jesse.
Or send it to ennisfargis (at) gmail.com
& I will have a look at it.

-Jesse-

25RPM
Mar 18, 2009
This Xpacker is driving me nuts! :pissed-off:

The attached file is not the same I tried earlier, but it just keeps crashing over and over again no matter what I do... I've tried everything I can think of, I used it without texture, I exported and imported it between different programs, I tried different formats, I cut it smaller etc. etc. After 6 hours fighting with it, I decided to give up.

Something is wrong with (my) BTB, since the model works perfectly in 3DSmax, 3DSimEd and in Sketchup where it was originally created, but not in Xpacker... :beat-up:

Attachments

Eric Tozer

250RPM
Mar 16, 2009
Glad to see you got it working Jesse.
I had a look at your 3ds file & I believe it was crashing xpacker purely because of the complexity.
Your object has 23379 vertices.
I converted it to editable poly & used the weld tool with a very low threshold which basically merges verts that are close together (within the threshold).
I easily got it down to 3981 with pretty much no loss in quality. (see pic)
Which is still very high but a saving of 19398 vertices.
Please try to be efficient with your 3d files.
Not only will it break xpacker :) but also slow down your game dramatically.
Cheers

Attachments

-Jesse-

25RPM
Mar 18, 2009
Glad to see you got it working Jesse.
I had a look at your 3ds file & I believe it was crashing xpacker purely because of the complexity.
Your object has 23379 vertices.
I converted it to editable poly & used the weld tool with a very low threshold which basically merges verts that are close together (within the threshold).
I easily got it down to 3981 with pretty much no loss in quality. (see pic)
Which is still very high but a saving of 19398 vertices.
Please try to be efficient with your 3d files.
Not only will it break xpacker :) but also slow down your game dramatically.
Cheers
Thanks Eric!

I'm not using it in the track, it's just a "help object" to edit the terrain :)

It can't be the size of it, because even if I deleted almost all the faces it still woudn't open. As the tutorial says, importing and exporting it through the SketchUp V6 got it working.