3ds file makes the Xpacker crash

What should I do, because every time I try to import a 3ds-file, the xpacker crashes and after that I can not open the Xpack which I was using?

I opened the 3ds in 3dSimEd, turned it into 4 smaller 3ds-files but still it keeps crashing.

Error details attached (error.txt)

Attachments

• error.txt
    10.5 KB · Views: 337
just took a look at the text you put in, you seem to be missing the default icon, check your support/xpacker folder in btb directory. too see if there a default.icon and dummy texture in there

sorry skip the other reply, i misreaded that.
ed

This Xpacker is driving me nuts! :pissed-off:

The attached file is not the same I tried earlier, but it just keeps crashing over and over again no matter what I do... I've tried everything I can think of, I used it without texture, I exported and imported it between different programs, I tried different formats, I cut it smaller etc. etc. After 6 hours fighting with it, I decided to give up.

Something is wrong with (my) BTB, since the model works perfectly in 3DSmax, 3DSimEd and in Sketchup where it was originally created, but not in Xpacker... :beat-up:

Attachments

• mirtopo.rar
    130 KB · Views: 150
Glad to see you got it working Jesse.
I had a look at your 3ds file & I believe it was crashing xpacker purely because of the complexity.
Your object has 23379 vertices.
I converted it to editable poly & used the weld tool with a very low threshold which basically merges verts that are close together (within the threshold).
I easily got it down to 3981 with pretty much no loss in quality. (see pic)
Which is still very high but a saving of 19398 vertices.
Please try to be efficient with your 3d files.
Not only will it break xpacker :) but also slow down your game dramatically.
Cheers

Attachments

• max.jpg
    max.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 249
Glad to see you got it working Jesse.
I had a look at your 3ds file & I believe it was crashing xpacker purely because of the complexity.
Your object has 23379 vertices.
I converted it to editable poly & used the weld tool with a very low threshold which basically merges verts that are close together (within the threshold).
I easily got it down to 3981 with pretty much no loss in quality. (see pic)
Which is still very high but a saving of 19398 vertices.
Please try to be efficient with your 3d files.
Not only will it break xpacker :) but also slow down your game dramatically.
Cheers

Thanks Eric!

I'm not using it in the track, it's just a "help object" to edit the terrain :)

It can't be the size of it, because even if I deleted almost all the faces it still woudn't open. As the tutorial says, importing and exporting it through the SketchUp V6 got it working.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 140 13.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 104 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 96 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 73 7.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 144 13.9%