3ds file makes the Xpacker crash

What should I do, because every time I try to import a 3ds-file, the xpacker crashes and after that I can not open the Xpack which I was using?

I opened the 3ds in 3dSimEd, turned it into 4 smaller 3ds-files but still it keeps crashing.

Error details attached (error.txt)

Attachments

• error.txt
    10.5 KB · Views: 333
just took a look at the text you put in, you seem to be missing the default icon, check your support/xpacker folder in btb directory. too see if there a default.icon and dummy texture in there

sorry skip the other reply, i misreaded that.
ed

This Xpacker is driving me nuts! :pissed-off:

The attached file is not the same I tried earlier, but it just keeps crashing over and over again no matter what I do... I've tried everything I can think of, I used it without texture, I exported and imported it between different programs, I tried different formats, I cut it smaller etc. etc. After 6 hours fighting with it, I decided to give up.

Something is wrong with (my) BTB, since the model works perfectly in 3DSmax, 3DSimEd and in Sketchup where it was originally created, but not in Xpacker... :beat-up:

Attachments

• mirtopo.rar
    130 KB · Views: 147
Glad to see you got it working Jesse.
I had a look at your 3ds file & I believe it was crashing xpacker purely because of the complexity.
Your object has 23379 vertices.
I converted it to editable poly & used the weld tool with a very low threshold which basically merges verts that are close together (within the threshold).
I easily got it down to 3981 with pretty much no loss in quality. (see pic)
Which is still very high but a saving of 19398 vertices.
Please try to be efficient with your 3d files.
Not only will it break xpacker :) but also slow down your game dramatically.
Cheers

Attachments

• max.jpg
    max.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 243
Glad to see you got it working Jesse.
I had a look at your 3ds file & I believe it was crashing xpacker purely because of the complexity.
Your object has 23379 vertices.
I converted it to editable poly & used the weld tool with a very low threshold which basically merges verts that are close together (within the threshold).
I easily got it down to 3981 with pretty much no loss in quality. (see pic)
Which is still very high but a saving of 19398 vertices.
Please try to be efficient with your 3d files.
Not only will it break xpacker :) but also slow down your game dramatically.
Cheers

Thanks Eric!

I'm not using it in the track, it's just a "help object" to edit the terrain :)

It can't be the size of it, because even if I deleted almost all the faces it still woudn't open. As the tutorial says, importing and exporting it through the SketchUp V6 got it working.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 71 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 380 39.7%