3D MAX & You

Jarrod Crossley

Rubbin Racer!
So your looking at producing your own renders, You've got one of the many version of 3d max and your wondering whats next.

Well here is some of the ins and outs :

First off you'll need Spluterfish's Brazil you can download the demo vresion known as Rio from there site here:- SplutterFish, LLC: Home

Next you'll need the 3D max car scenes for Race07 and those are availble via:- Portal - raceskinning you'll have to register there.

So now you have evrything you need to get started. All you need to do now is load up a scene and go right?

Wrong due to the fact these scenes where made with a differant version of MAX and a full version of Brazil, Youlll have to make some alterations to get it to look the way you want.

So you load your scene and it looks like this:

Terrible isn't it well first off we need to set up are renderer so on the top menu bar find "Rendering" and from the drop down find "Render Setup" click on that and you'll get a menu:

Now due to the fact we are using Rio we are restricted to image size (1024x511 max) so for now select 640x480. Now on the same menu scroll down tp were it says "Assign Renderer" This is where we are going to be telling it to use Brazil Rio. So click on the three little dots:

and from the drop down menu select Brazil:

No you dont have to redo them once there are done.

Even if you use the scenes of RD or from another source you may find that you get problems of the models showing up back and this is what this tutorial was aimed at solving.

The issuse revolve around the fact we all use differant versions of 3DS max and Brazil and there seems to be across over issuse either for old or new vresion of either program.

So with this tut was basicly resigning the materials and textures to the correct parts and resetting thescene for yur version of max or brazil once you have done this your scene's will be set to your vresion and all you'll have to do after that is change the textures to show your new liveries.

As mentioned in a later post I was learning as I was posting and as I have developed so as what materials and lights and other bits and bobs I use. So when I get a free weekend I plan on rewriting this tut and added extras to make things a little clearer for all.

Vray is very cool I have use it now instead of Brazil.

I found that with vary you can still load the Brazil materials but when rendering it errors. So its a case of swoping out the brazil materials for vray ones.

The biggest changes are in the setup of the render engine compared to Brazil.

My Vray setting (may not be the best but they work for me)

Vray tab
Vray Enviroment-
Tick the first two boxes

Indirect Illumination tab
Vray Indirect Illumination-
Post-processing .3
Primary bounces multiplier .3
Secondry nounces Multiplier .3

Now its a case of swaping out the brazil materials for VrayMTL

VRayMtl for body chage the diffuse to white
reflect to 55 falloff - Frensel (index reraction 2.2)

VrayMtl Windows Diffuse to black
reflect to 30 fallof as is

Light boxes

VRayLightMtl color 1.0 [Output] RGB Level 3.0

Awesome tutorial there Jarrod,i wish id come across this site and the tutorials you have expertly put together,in a clear,simple and understandable way,even for some-one like me lol.God,i wish i'd found these last year when i had ideas floating around in my head.
Kindest regards sid the sexist.

Kudos to you.

• Reiko82

Hey Jarrod,

nice tutorial, but i have one problem. A few of the pictures don´t work. can you fix the pictures ??

sorry my english is very bad :(

greetz

Ok, guys: Idiot alert here.
I cant even get the thing to install, so can someone please help.
I have downloaded it and then get stuck here:
Brazil.jpg

No matter if i change the drive name, it stays like that. Any tips please

Ok, got it to install, thanks Jarrod.
Now, however, how do i start this program up.
In the start menu it only has a Uninstall button, nothing to start it with.
I am so confused it aint even funny

I installed this one: 3ds Max (Design) 2009 (64bit)
Is this program a addon or something, cause somewhere i am fluffing things up

You should have a startmenu folder called "Autodesk" with "Autodesk 2009" folder and the exe in there ot a desktop shortcut (unless deleted).

Other wise your short cut should look like this:

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2010\3dsmax.exe"

Got all the files till the .exe
I have 3 yellow folders and:
BrMaxTransport.dll
plugin

No exe file. Is this a standalone program or a "addon" to another one. Cause i downloaded the 2009 and 2010 and they both have the same files without a exe.

Sorry, Jarrod. I should have put all the info down the first time, so i can understand the misunderstanding on your side. I am busy downloading Autodesk 2010 demo now. And will re-install Rio after that is done.
Thanks for the help :)

Thanks for the tutorial Jarrod. Really helpful!

However, I've got a problem. I click "Render" and it goes well. Except it doesn't pop up any render at the end. It just says

MSR: copying Brazil r/s frame buffer to 3ds max frame buffer...
MSR: applying Render Effects...
RND: close render session

at the end, as I should I guess when it goes well. I checked my settings over and over to match yours that I could see in the first couple of screen shots and in the last few as well. Have you got any ideas?

I'm using the 2010 version..

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea