3D MAX & You

Jarrod Crossley

Rubbin Racer!
So your looking at producing your own renders, You've got one of the many version of 3d max and your wondering whats next.

Well here is some of the ins and outs :

First off you'll need Spluterfish's Brazil you can download the demo vresion known as Rio from there site here:- SplutterFish, LLC: Home

Next you'll need the 3D max car scenes for Race07 and those are availble via:- Portal - raceskinning you'll have to register there.

So now you have evrything you need to get started. All you need to do now is load up a scene and go right?

Wrong due to the fact these scenes where made with a differant version of MAX and a full version of Brazil, Youlll have to make some alterations to get it to look the way you want.

So you load your scene and it looks like this:

Terrible isn't it well first off we need to set up are renderer so on the top menu bar find "Rendering" and from the drop down find "Render Setup" click on that and you'll get a menu:

Now due to the fact we are using Rio we are restricted to image size (1024x511 max) so for now select 640x480. Now on the same menu scroll down tp were it says "Assign Renderer" This is where we are going to be telling it to use Brazil Rio. So click on the three little dots:

and from the drop down menu select Brazil:

Great, Jarrod!!! Saved me again!!!

What did you do? You did the same things in the tutorial? Did you do something different? Trying to learn a bit here... :)

BTW, I hate being that guy that always complain and ask for things, but how do you feel about updating your page 1 tutorial? I ask you this because there are a few images missing and after you said you changed somethings and all...

Thanks a lot again.

I may redo a basic tut, But that would be about it.

As for what have I changed, well if and when you download the scene you'll notice I have got rid of the light boxes above the car and replaced with a Brazil light. Also altered the ground material and background. So things merged abit better.

Hi everyone

I am trying to render some helmets. Is there any opensource ,freeware for helmets as i read earlier in this thread there is a program for cars which i just tried but it doesn't recognise that it's a helmet(obviously).

Hi everyone

I am trying to render some helmets. Is there any opensource ,freeware for helmets as i read earlier in this thread there is a program for cars which i just tried but it doesn't recognise that it's a helmet(obviously).

Depending on what your after (overall look), you could try Right Hemispheres deep explorer (30day trail) that will allow you to use Xfiles.
But the render is no where as crisp as 3Ds Max.

Downside to 3Ds Max is there is no offiacal Helmet scene, more a driver with Helmat., and the fact 3Ds Max is quite expensive but I hear again there is a 30day trial.

floor

Hi Jarrod..
How To Make floor black???
526505.jpg

• SoundMan

what a great tutorial.

i can follow it all, easy to understand :bang:

i just get one issue, and it's to do with the reflection of the car paint, when i render it looks all wrong. see image. this is reflection set to 32 and with all other instructions followed to the letter.

Attachments

• 430 paint is wrong.jpg
    430 paint is wrong.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 245
Jarrod,
I'm sorry to bother you, but do you think you could replace the pictures from the tutorial that are missing? I'm gonna try the hole process again, for the last time. I really wanna learn how to adjust the materials, because I want to adjust them for the team truck and for the other stuff available in raceskinning. I also would like to learn how to render different cars or even just different skins together.
Thanks, mate.

To be honest the whole tutorial could do with a mass restart. As time has passed I've learnt a few things here and there and where I could I have past this on.

So I will look into remaking this thread and try and cover as mutch as I can.

In the mean time if you have any problems or have any questions drop me a PM and Ill see what I can do.

*Please note

The replacement topic will not be happening overnight I'm caught up if a few problems at home and wish to get that sorted first.

Thank you all for your time

Jarrod.

Jarrod,
a mass restart would AWESOME!!!!! REALLY!!!!
But in the meantime, I have some great news!!!!! At least for me. :) I did it!!!! I don't know how, but I managed to get 2 diffderent cars (and 2 different skins with the same car also). UUHUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!
I understood what was wrong with my scenes. When I merged them, the cars always showed up totally blank. That happened because the materials weren't mapped!!! And I learned how to do it after like 100 mistakes last night!!!!
But still your tutorial gave me the right direction. And your tips, of course!!!!
Thanks a lot, man. I'm very happy now!!! :)
But I'm still gonna wait for the new tutorial...
Cheers.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea