2018 Formula One Azerbaijan Grand Prix

Yes, I think the bigger part of the guilt is on Max, but RIC's 1st move was to the outside and then very fast to the inside.
It depends a bit on what Max reacted to, did he go inside after seeing Daniel went outside to have the defensive/inside line or did Max go inside after Daniel for a blocking maneuver?!

Not trying to justify, I just see 2 scenarios I can't judge if it was one or the other.

Yes, I think the bigger part of the guilt is on Max, but RIC's 1st move was to the outside and then very fast to the inside.
It depends a bit on what Max reacted to, did he go inside after seeing Daniel went outside to have the defensive/inside line or did Max go inside after Daniel for a blocking maneuver?!

Not trying to justify, I just see 2 scenarios I can't judge if it was one or the other.
You can do only one move to defend. The car behind can do as many moves as he wants.

You can clearly see a gap opening from Max moving back right, Ricc wants to dive in and Max counters slightly. Could be weaving. I'd put most blame on max.

RIC's 1st move was to the outside and then very fast to the inside
The attacking driver (RIC) is allowed to do that. The defensive driver (VER) is only allowed to change his line once. Not twice as Max did.

The only defensive argument VER can bring to the table that his 2nd move was to avoid a collision with the fast moving RIC.

Interesting to see the post-race outcome of the stewards.

This race managed to give me a headache. Probably because I banged my head against me wheel after both Red Bulls crashed, or maybe because Grosjean crashed.

Last edited:

The point is that it is critically safety relevant that the car in front is somewhat predictable for the overtaking car - especially in times of DRS. The overtaking driver can do whatever they want in terms of changing lanes.

Can someone take this guy's license away?! At the very least he should get "the talk" from Christian Horner. First he doesn't leave a car width (again) and almost puts his teammate in the wall, then he simultaneously changes his line a second time (!!!) and moves under braking.

Max, this is not how you win a championship. This is not even how you beat Hulkenberg in the championship. At least someone give him the rulebook.

Did you watch the race or only this crash replay?? Max has made it clear during all race that he would not let Ricciardo pass without throwing him off the track.
Max is being childish on track for too long. He just doesn't seem to admit he is indeed inferior.

@motoliser
As I posted earlier, I have already mentioned that VER was over the line and too aggressive before.

And they just shown the replay again, now I have to fully agree, VER moved twice.
I don't know how I missed the first reaction move by Max to the outside earlier?! :unsure:

@motoliser
As I posted earlier, I have already mentioned that VER was over the line and too aggressive before.

And they just shown the replay again, now I have to fully agree, VER moved twice.
I don't know how I missed the first reaction move by Max to the outside.

When it was live I missed it too, it was too fast for me to see whose fault it was. Then I saw in the replay that Max had changed his line twice... this would be unbelievable for a rookie.

Baku never fail to deliver ! :D :thumbsup:

Shame about Bottas, great race, great strategy. Grose wtf Jean bonehead of the day and regarding that Red Stubborn Bull incident...
I've always been much bigger Daniel than Max fan but in that situation Ricciardo should act better. He knows Max is a dirty gamer and can't stand to ANYONE overtake him, so he'll leave no place at all, just saying... he should be smarter than that.
But lucky us... we had our spectacle thanks to incidents like those. :x3:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • More leagues

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • Prizes

Votes: 23 17.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 14 10.8%
  • Forum trophies