2016 Formula One Australian Grand Prix

First of all, most of the strategists today were blithering idiots. I say this as an internet knucklehead who could probably never run a team. Leaving their guys in the pits for any length to save tyres was just asking for an early exit.

I thought for sure that flying laps at 00:00 wouldn't count in Q1 and Q2 until Jolyon Palmer advanced on his last flying lap.

This was a knee-jerk reaction of a gimmick to fix a qualifying format that was never broken in a feeble attempt to punish Mercedes for doing their job better than everybody else - and failed miserably, especially in Q3.

I feel sorry for the fans in attendance. This was awful. Obviously excluding life-and-death tragedies, this is one of the worst things I've seen in the 15 or so years I've watched F1 in the present tense. This includes actually being at the 2005 USGP. This includes Luca Badoer's comeback with Ferrari. It includes Crashgate.

One positive to come from this is that I never have to plan a Saturday around qualifying again. Just won't bother, and only focus on the race.

The three part qualify system in the first place is rubbish. Since this qual system I was only focused on the race. Last year I never saw any qual session because it sucked. So a change could do anything interesting.
So far I like the idea, but not in this way. Since you need to be careful on your tyres it will have this outcome of no drivers on track in the last minutes.

Only doing 1 flying lap alone was also a very boring show several years ago. Still like the very old system with or without a maximum number of laps.

So they tried it, didn't work out. FIA need to take it on the chin and admit that it was poor - how do the fans in the crowd know what is going on?
Will it change for the next race, doubt it. These organisations tend to be stubborn.
Only mildly interesting thing imo was seeing that LH has now found his speed again, blowing away NR. Unexpected.

Massive crash Alonso. Red Flag.

Alonso Crash.jpg

Holy f*** Alonso!

Massive accident...

But to see Alonso and Gutierrez both get out safe is fantastic, especially after Alonso's car!

I liked how Gutierrez went to make sure Alonso was ok, kind of puts things into perspective a bit...these drivers would've been looking forward to this race for a long time and they've just made sure eachother were ok...yet if this happened in a Club Race which means nothing people would be going mental!

Scary to see Gutierrez' car and traces of another one in the gravel, but not the car at first. Good that they both got away safe.

Reminded a bit of VIL RSC, or Brundle's crash.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back