1988 Honda Prelude

Cars 1988 Honda Prelude 0.9.7

Login or Register an account to download this content
First: the graphical details on this car are fantastic. Really well done.

But I'm having an issue with the 4WS. It feels like the car doesn't steer at all until a certain point, and then steers very suddenly. I watched the steering work from the outside and noticed that the rear wheels turn the same way as the fronts up to a point, and then steer the "correct" (opposite) way. If this is not just a graphical glitch then it would explain the odd handling characteristics; I would think the 4WS would steer the rear wheels opposite from the front wheels across the whole curve.

I've recorded a clip to show what I mean: https://streamable.com/ympufv

Looking forward to continued updates! I always loved the look of this car and would love to have it here in AC.
Thanks so much!

Yes, I agree with you that the turning rate dramatically increases (often causing me to over-steer the car in to the inside of the turn). But, according to my research, it's supposed to do exactly that.

Because the system is mechanical, it doesn't have speed sensitivity. The idea is that if you're at high speed, you won't turn past 90 degrees (of steering angle) and this makes the wheels turn with the front ones to change lanes, etc. quicker. Past 90 degrees the wheel switch to going opposite the front, for slow-speed maneuvers.

Check out this video:

Thanks so much!

Yes, I agree with you that the turning rate dramatically increases (often causing me to over-steer the car in to the inside of the turn). But, according to my research, it's supposed to do exactly that.

Because the system is mechanical, it doesn't have speed sensitivity. The idea is that if you're at high speed, you won't turn past 90 degrees (of steering angle) and this makes the wheels turn with the front ones to change lanes, etc. quicker. Past 90 degrees the wheel switch to going opposite the front, for slow-speed maneuvers.

Check out this video:
Neat! Thanks for that education.
That makes it even more interesting on the street... if a bit disorienting on the track!

Thanks so much!

Check out this video:

Hi Jake,

Thanks a lot for your work. Came here for this discussion as I am curious about this 4WS system, i had heard about it in these cars but never knew anything more than it exists. After trying your mod for the first time, I looked it up and watched the video review you posted. So there should really be a 'kick' in steering output at about 90 degrees of wheel rotation and the mod does that but still feels a bit exaggerated, like there is hardly any steering up to the 90 degrees. Not that I know how it is in real life. I then came across an article in Car and Driver magazine that mentions that the 4ws prelude required overall more steering effort than the 2ws one which might mean that the mod is spot on on that front. Interesting stuff :)

Hi Jake,

Thanks a lot for your work. Came here for this discussion as I am curious about this 4WS system, i had heard about it in these cars but never knew anything more than it exists. After trying your mod for the first time, I looked it up and watched the video review you posted. So there should really be a 'kick' in steering output at about 90 degrees of wheel rotation and the mod does that but still feels a bit exaggerated, like there is hardly any steering up to the 90 degrees. Not that I know how it is in real life. I then came across an article in Car and Driver magazine that mentions that the 4ws prelude required overall more steering effort than the 2ws one which might mean that the mod is spot on on that front. Interesting stuff :)
I think that the feeling like you aren't steering much at all before the 90 degrees is also exaggerated by the fact that it isn't rotating as much and is moving sideways.

I read somewhere that not all preludes come with 4ws and since i sometimes drive with a dualsense controller it would be nice to have a normal front wheel steering only. Idk if this is already a future atleast for the stock one because if there is let me know since i dont know how to disable 4ws.

I read somewhere that not all preludes come with 4ws and since i sometimes drive with a dualsense controller it would be nice to have a normal front wheel steering only. Idk if this is already a future atleast for the stock one because if there is let me know since i dont know how to disable 4ws.
Hi Miataboi,

Yes there were -- 4WS was just an option. Although acclaimed, it was expensive and didn't sell that well.

You can just rename or delete the ctrl_4ws.ini in the data folder.

@Jake Grafton
First of all I wish you a happy new year!
I still enjoy driving the Prelude in AC. I have now found some time to examine the most obvious flaws in the model. Of course there are plenty small details. I focused on two major details and fixed it visually in Photoshop. It is all about the side walls and the front bumper. I don't know if you can or want to correct it in the model. Maybe it will help you for future updates.

prelude AC compare.jpg

@Jake Grafton
First of all I wish you a happy new year!
I still enjoy driving the Prelude in AC. I have now found some time to examine the most obvious flaws in the model. Of course there are plenty small details. I focused on two major details and fixed it visually in Photoshop. It is all about the side walls and the front bumper. I don't know if you can or want to correct it in the model. Maybe it will help you for future updates.

View attachment 529209
Hi Franz! Happy New Year to you!

The two changes that I see are the reflector colour and the lip on the bump (just in front of the tyre). Did I miss anything else.

Nice shot, btw!

Hey man, just discovered this 3gen mod and I am completely loving it. The fact that people are actually willing to help out with no strings attached kind of shows that there is love and support for the platform.
Two things I'd like to add:

1. the breaking seems a bit off and slow, especially compared to this era's tires. I might be off, but for a car that barely weighs a ton, it seems that it should be more responsive.
2. do you plan on adding a non 4WS in the future? just removing it based off this car's model and trying to also adjust the handling according to standard non-4WS.

Of course, this is all provided you still plan on working on this mod, considering you also have other projects that you're pursuing. :)

Hey man, just discovered this 3gen mod and I am completely loving it. The fact that people are actually willing to help out with no strings attached kind of shows that there is love and support for the platform.
Two things I'd like to add:

1. the breaking seems a bit off and slow, especially compared to this era's tires. I might be off, but for a car that barely weighs a ton, it seems that it should be more responsive.
2. do you plan on adding a non 4WS in the future? just removing it based off this car's model and trying to also adjust the handling according to standard non-4WS.

Of course, this is all provided you still plan on working on this mod, considering you also have other projects that you're pursuing. :)
Hey, thanks for your feedback!

1. At the time, I based the braking on the published distance from a certain speed. I'll add to my list to revisit.
2. My older versions (v0.9.5 and before) are non-4WS. You could use take a look at that version. https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/1988-honda-prelude-pack.38877/history

I am still working on it, and my other projects. Finding the time has become a problem...

Hey, thanks for your feedback!

1. At the time, I based the braking on the published distance from a certain speed. I'll add to my list to revisit.
2. My older versions (v0.9.5 and before) are non-4WS. You could use take a look at that version. https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/1988-honda-prelude-pack.38877/history

I am still working on it, and my other projects. Finding the time has become a problem...
Honestly, when you get the chance, you should add the non4WS as a separate entry, with a total of 3 cars; I'm sure it would be appreciated and it's low effort. I, for one, will add it and see how it goes and how it compares to the non 4WS.

Thank you for your work so far, and best of luck with everything you set your eyes on doing!

Honestly, when you get the chance, you should add the non4WS as a separate entry, with a total of 3 cars; I'm sure it would be appreciated and it's low effort. I, for one, will add it and see how it goes and how it compares to the non 4WS.

Thank you for your work so far, and best of luck with everything you set your eyes on doing!
Agreed I'd love the non 4WS model too, especially for someone I know who owned one! Just downloaded the .95 version :)

Is there a way for me to have both installed at the same time? Can't find any info on that in particular and know some mods have conflicts if they aren't uninstalled before updating etc. I'd love to have all three as an option!

Thanks so much for your work, it is appreciated by many!

Agreed I'd love the non 4WS model too, especially for someone I know who owned one! Just downloaded the .95 version :)

Is there a way for me to have both installed at the same time? Can't find any info on that in particular and know some mods have conflicts if they aren't uninstalled before updating etc. I'd love to have all three as an option!

Thanks so much for your work, it is appreciated by many!

Yes, you can have them both installed at the same time:

1) Assuming that you have version 95 installed currently. Rename that folder in \assettocorsa\content\cars to something like "honda_prelude_88-95"
2) In the honda_prelude_88-95 folder, open the subfolder UI and then open the file ui_car.json with notepad. Change the name in the first line slightly, for example "Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4WS 1988 version 0.9.5"
3) Extract the new version (using Content Manager or manually extracting to \assettocorsa\content\cars)

You will now see both cars in CM. Let me know if you have any trouble.

I will have all three cars in the next pack (0.9.7)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.