“Assetto Corsa Needs More Tracks” (does it?)

assettocorsa-fictionalcircuit.jpg

Looking into one of the most debated arguments about the Italian sim.

One of the usual complaints regarding Assetto Corsa was that it does not feature many tracks. Criticism usually revolved around the quite heavily presence of Italian circuits, even minor ones, but almost no tracks from the Asian or American continent. European selection is also limited to a handful of renowned locations.

Personally, I see the reasons behind the discontent, as the total number of tracks is of about 15, 16 whether you consider or not Trento Bondone and the historical ones. Adding to that figure are some fantasy venues like Black Cat County or places like the Drag Strip or the Drift pad, which are limited to very specific use. At the same time though, I stand with those who value quality over quantity, and having a decent collection of laser-scanned tracks is preferable to me than having more but with lower grade consistency.

I am also convinced that this issue is mostly limited to the console players. Why I say that is pretty obvious, I believe: Modding. Xbox One and PlayStation 4 users have no possibilities to extend the AC track roster in any way. PC players instead have a fine selection of circuits available at their disposal, and 90% of these are gratis to download for anyone.

Quality is also very high, with many of these recreations being very faithful to the original, result of many hours of work spent on every fine little detail and sometimes started with even LiDAR data at hand. I think that no one can really argue that at the moment of writing of this article, we have many beautiful tracks free for AC, expanding further the possibilities of the sim.

QvyKjho.jpg

It really is a matter of being able to make the most of the resources available, searching in the download section, looking for what could suit your needs and enjoy it while thanking the author for his/her work. A suggestion I dare give also is - take your time. Unfortunately, we as simracers have become rather spoiled. When we had just a half dozen cars to be run on a handful of tracks in just a couple of sims, almost nobody used to complain that there wasn’t enough to have fun with. Now that we have a half dozen different sims, each featuring quite a selection of different vehicles and circuits, we always pretend more.

I believe the problem lies within the fact that we do not commit to a car or a track for more than a few hours, after which we feel bored and in need of a change. That is not constructive, and makes us unable to fully appreciate what we are given. Practicing, doing some time attacks, developing consistency, should take days. All that should then converge into racing the AI, looking for or hosting multiplayer competitions on that specific venue. Jumping from place to place, vehicle to vehicle, does not help. I maybe take this a stretch further, but isn’t this kind of behaviour also making us unhappy most of the times in our real lives? Commitment is the answer. As I said in another article of mine, having many choices means that you actually have to make a choice.

Allow me to tell that once again I think that simracing can teach us to be a better person, if we use it as a proper tool of personal growth. If used improperly, it can favour bad habits that we already exhibit in our daily lives, and maybe worsen them. If put to proper use, it can become a way to weed out those bad ways and help us find a better balance.

Therefore, look back now at the circuits you have in AC, both official and 3rd party ones, thinking what would happen if you’d decide to spend even just a week on each, perhaps with different cars and in different conditions but always on the same location. With the clear intention of knowing it by heart and learn it in every detail, appreciating all that went behind it, whoever built it. Now tell me you still believe there are not enough tracks for you to have fun with, if you do.

Spa-bgr01.jpg

Oh boy do we like mods! If you do too then we have you covered with our fantastic Assetto Corsa modding archive. From downloads to a place for mod discussion, we have it all for you to enjoy, check it out today! If you don't fancy trying out some of the awesome community created tracks and cars then drop in on our Assetto Corsa sub forum to chat about the game with your fellow fans. Interaction and threads make forums fun, so start one today!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
Today, I wish we had a decent ver of Mexico City, circa 1967. The hacked up layout they're racing on ATM is a dizzying hodge-podge of first-gear turns. (As an interim gesture, I wouldn't oppose the NASCAR layout of a few years ago...at least it didn't twist and hobble around an outdoor cafe in the baseball stadium.)

I can sort of agree that AC lacks tracks, I still value quality over quantity but having a laser scanned sebring, watkins glen, circuit de la sarthe, road america, road atlanta, circuit gilles villenueve, hungaroring etc would be nice. All of these except hungaroring already exist in iRacing so I dont really see why we cant have them in AC

I can sort of agree that AC lacks tracks, I still value quality over quantity but having a laser scanned sebring, watkins glen, circuit de la sarthe, road america, road atlanta, circuit gilles villenueve, hungaroring etc would be nice. All of these except hungaroring already exist in iRacing so I dont really see why we cant have them in AC

Easy: money, time and manpower.

To many players, simulations like IL-2 and AC seem to be more about collecting ever new stuff and having items by the hundreds - while playing a given content item just once or twice, and not in depth, getting intimately familiar with it.

To me, these players miss an awful lot of the inherent quality the sim in question, the given content item, hopefully offers.

The attention span of man's mind today has become incredibly short, and for many it seems to be about speed-consuming new stuff in ever shorter intervals, without really tasting it, without properly digesting it, without fully enjoying it - just biting off the next morsel and wolfing it down as fast as they can.

Well, its at their loss. They maybe will never know what they are missing.

I agree with you but disagree too.

I agree with you if you are talking about novices that just dont like a track and jump to another often.

But I disagre because a very good driver, a professional one, will master a track very fast. Assetto Corsa Competizione is a good example for this. Some people never driven once on Minzano and 1 day was enough to do a 1:34 laptime. Fastly, some drivers find new ways do drive even faster in a track with so many shortcuts everywhere and they did 1:33. After this, there is no challenge anymore.

Because racing is not only about find the ideal racing line and the fastest way do do a hot lap.

It is more than that. You have to master too many things, like, the different ambient conditions, the different grip levels, the setup of your car and the cars on many categories change every year. It is about do a race weekend and them you go to another track next weekend.

Just a few categories like Nascar and Indycar repeat tracks same year. Even on these competitions, it is the same track, but the conditions are different.

So, mastering motorsport is about mastering driving on different conditions, different tracks, different setups and fast adapt. Senna, Schumacher and now Hamilton are the best ones on this sport because they fast adapt to every situation. Schumacher did a superb laptime at Spa with just a Jordan 191 in his first F1 race weekend. For these guys, you need to force them some variation.

To many players, simulations like IL-2 and AC seem to be more about collecting ever new stuff and having items by the hundreds - while playing a given content item just once or twice, and not in depth, getting intimately familiar with it.

To me, these players miss an awful lot of the inherent quality the sim in question, the given content item, hopefully offers.

The attention span of man's mind today has become incredibly short, and for many it seems to be about speed-consuming new stuff in ever shorter intervals, without really tasting it, without properly digesting it, without fully enjoying it - just biting off the next morsel and wolfing it down as fast as they can.

Well, its at their loss. They maybe will never know what they are missing.

We are not talking about Forza or GT though.
I and mate of mine use sims to learn new tracks and to enjoy the feel of track days / racing at any time of day and week.....
So the main one i use AC and RF2 i need mods to get many UK tracks...it is not about how you outline it as having bad attention span, it is about doing what you say, learing one track over and over, but say that track is Croft, well you dont have that unless you have AC on PC.....

I can do everything you say you are doing....but still have loads of tracks and cars.... i can spend 3 weeks just learning say Oulton Park before i go there for example in real life.....

Plus AC on console......i am sad to tell you...isn't really the AC that i and other PC simmers have and enjoy....

My answer the original question: No, AC does not needs more tracks.

But it would be great to have some more epic race tracks in high quality from Kunos. I think of tracks like Hockenheim, Lausitzring, Oschersleben, Misano, Fuji, Motegi, Suzuka, Le Mans, Montreal, Kyalami, Targa florio.

Cheers

Are people also interested in fantasy tracks? Fictional design?
Really depends. Well made and well thought out realistic layouts are probably always welcome, but huge tracks that remind one of Mario Kart don't fit AC.

Imo the tracks LFS came with are a good example. Aston, Blackwood and West hil work as tracks. Fern Bay and Southcity work a little less, but especially the latter has good detail (like the bumpy surface) that help immerse you as the driver.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back