“Assetto Corsa Needs More Tracks” (does it?)

assettocorsa-fictionalcircuit.jpg

Looking into one of the most debated arguments about the Italian sim.

One of the usual complaints regarding Assetto Corsa was that it does not feature many tracks. Criticism usually revolved around the quite heavily presence of Italian circuits, even minor ones, but almost no tracks from the Asian or American continent. European selection is also limited to a handful of renowned locations.

Personally, I see the reasons behind the discontent, as the total number of tracks is of about 15, 16 whether you consider or not Trento Bondone and the historical ones. Adding to that figure are some fantasy venues like Black Cat County or places like the Drag Strip or the Drift pad, which are limited to very specific use. At the same time though, I stand with those who value quality over quantity, and having a decent collection of laser-scanned tracks is preferable to me than having more but with lower grade consistency.

I am also convinced that this issue is mostly limited to the console players. Why I say that is pretty obvious, I believe: Modding. Xbox One and PlayStation 4 users have no possibilities to extend the AC track roster in any way. PC players instead have a fine selection of circuits available at their disposal, and 90% of these are gratis to download for anyone.

Quality is also very high, with many of these recreations being very faithful to the original, result of many hours of work spent on every fine little detail and sometimes started with even LiDAR data at hand. I think that no one can really argue that at the moment of writing of this article, we have many beautiful tracks free for AC, expanding further the possibilities of the sim.

QvyKjho.jpg

It really is a matter of being able to make the most of the resources available, searching in the download section, looking for what could suit your needs and enjoy it while thanking the author for his/her work. A suggestion I dare give also is - take your time. Unfortunately, we as simracers have become rather spoiled. When we had just a half dozen cars to be run on a handful of tracks in just a couple of sims, almost nobody used to complain that there wasn’t enough to have fun with. Now that we have a half dozen different sims, each featuring quite a selection of different vehicles and circuits, we always pretend more.

I believe the problem lies within the fact that we do not commit to a car or a track for more than a few hours, after which we feel bored and in need of a change. That is not constructive, and makes us unable to fully appreciate what we are given. Practicing, doing some time attacks, developing consistency, should take days. All that should then converge into racing the AI, looking for or hosting multiplayer competitions on that specific venue. Jumping from place to place, vehicle to vehicle, does not help. I maybe take this a stretch further, but isn’t this kind of behaviour also making us unhappy most of the times in our real lives? Commitment is the answer. As I said in another article of mine, having many choices means that you actually have to make a choice.

Allow me to tell that once again I think that simracing can teach us to be a better person, if we use it as a proper tool of personal growth. If used improperly, it can favour bad habits that we already exhibit in our daily lives, and maybe worsen them. If put to proper use, it can become a way to weed out those bad ways and help us find a better balance.

Therefore, look back now at the circuits you have in AC, both official and 3rd party ones, thinking what would happen if you’d decide to spend even just a week on each, perhaps with different cars and in different conditions but always on the same location. With the clear intention of knowing it by heart and learn it in every detail, appreciating all that went behind it, whoever built it. Now tell me you still believe there are not enough tracks for you to have fun with, if you do.

Spa-bgr01.jpg

Oh boy do we like mods! If you do too then we have you covered with our fantastic Assetto Corsa modding archive. From downloads to a place for mod discussion, we have it all for you to enjoy, check it out today! If you don't fancy trying out some of the awesome community created tracks and cars then drop in on our Assetto Corsa sub forum to chat about the game with your fellow fans. Interaction and threads make forums fun, so start one today!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
Maybe I'm wrong but most older and newer simracing platforms with modding support have no more tracks than AC has but surely not so many cars. ( I repeat with modding support :D ).

AC is significantly short of official tracks, by at least 33%, compared to the other sims, whether the sims support modding or not. By design, whether intentional or not, it doesn't support track variations very well, so it is 50% short on track variations.

Official Tracks
AC has 21 tracks with 43 variations
AMS has 38 tracks with 120 variations
pCARS 1 has 36 tracks with 98 variations (pCARS 2 has more, but I haven't counted lately)
rF2 has 34 tracks with 86 variations
RRE has 33 tracks with 76 variations

“Assetto Corsa Needs More Tracks” (does it?)

Yes. Yes it does.

Even with mods, the base game has too few tracks. Imagine having Road America or Laguna Seca or Watkins Glens be part of the base game, or having Monaco and Brands Hatch, or Adelaide.

Again, i know mods fix these kind of stuff, but we shouldn't let it pass just because "mods will fix it". That's bethesda's way of seeing things. A game should totally be criticized for lack of content even if it allows people to make content for the game.

Even with mods, the base game has too few tracks. Imagine having Road America or Laguna Seca or Watkins Glens be part of the base game, or having Monaco and Brands Hatch, or Adelaide.
Laguna Seca's part of the base content and Brands Hatch is the third DLC (added 2 years ago, after the Nordschleife and Barcelona)

Official Tracks
pCARS 1 has 36 tracks with 98 variations (pCARS 2 has more, but I haven't counted lately)

Going over this list very briefly, you got RR wrong. RR has 43 tracks. Either that is a typo, or that data is really outdated.

I'd be skeptical the rest is factually accurate as a result :p

Hi. Which 19 tracks do you have?

Albert Park, Shangai, Montreal, Bahrain(night), Yas Marina(night), Singapore(Night), Hockemheim, Budapest, Buddh, Instanbul Park, Interlagos, Korea, Mexico, Sepang, Circuit of Americas, Valencia, Suzuka, Monaco, Sochi.

All of them with fixed AI lines, defined DRS zones, no ugly 2D crowds, and DRS zone indicators.

It took me hours to fix Monaco AI but now it works perfectly, no crashing anymore.

Last edited:
Albert Park, Shangai, Montreal, Bahrain(night), Yas Marina(night), Singapore(Night), Hockemheim, Budapest, Buddh, Instanbul Park, Interlagos, Korea, Mexico, Sepang, Circuit of Americas, Valencia, Suzuka, Monaco, Sochi.

All of them with fixed AI lines, defined DRS zones, no ugly 2D crowds, and DRS zone indicators.

It took me hours to fix Monaco AI but now it works perfectly, no crashing anymore.
And are they downloadable from somewhere?

Interesting. Most of these are the crappy ones, rips and bad conversions.

Well i've just been blasting around Goodwood in some retro race cars for a an hour or so...
I have Croft, Donington, Oulton Park, castle combe, various tracks from Sweden and Australia, Bathurst....Monaco....Cadwell Park....

Add to that 590 odd cars all together....
And new weathers... sharper better look to the game.....
Content manager as well....

I am totally happy......

The console 'game'...... meh.

AC is significantly short of official tracks, by at least 33%, compared to the other sims, whether the sims support modding or not. By design, whether intentional or not, it doesn't support track variations very well, so it is 50% short on track variations.

Official Tracks
R3E has 43 tracks with 94 variations by now.
Project CARS 2 should have 70 tracks with 152 layouts including all DLCs.

R3E has 43 tracks with 94 variations by now.
Project CARS 2 should have 70 tracks with 152 layouts including all DLCs.
PC2 went on the right direction with tracks, but too bad they wasted time bringing cars nobody cares about. Tho same can be said about some tracks.
I wish a sim would bring all the tracks used by the biggest racing series in the world. But they always keep out important tracks from US, Australia and Japan :(
I'm not the kind of sim racer that can drive the same tracks forever so when I get bored of the typical euro stuff I like to jump into a old school US track or Australian and vice versa. That's where mods help a lot.
While I'm happy for a official Blancpain game I'm already bored just looking at the track list lol only Zolder, Brands and Misano are exciting to me (and Zandvoort for next season), all the others :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep: reason why I hope they have a Blancpain US DLC coming to that game, and Australian GT, Asia GT :p

You will only need one track and a week won't be enough to learn it : Nordschleife.
This is the only track that never get boring even when hot lapping. I have a lot of nice track but I always get back to this one...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back