Would You Recommend rfactor 2 ?

Hi Everyone,
I've played Project Cars, too buggy at the moment. Just getting in to RaceRoom, which I really enjoy. But what about rfactor2. I want to race online more, not necessarily leagues but a lot a various classes to get variety in the cars you drive.
Would you recommend rfactor2 as a sim and also the popularity of online racing.

Just to get you started... And you can give the AI an custom skin too. :)

@Matheus Machado : you can build a skin pack that way for an online league... ;)

That's certainly easier. But then I still have the issue of not wanting the default AI being added to races. I basically have to create a new series, add all the skins and everything and then do the AI drivers all in a rfcpm file. Really time consuming compared to AMS.

To everyone still wondering : buy the non steam version. You have a whole week to decide if it suit you or not. If not just take a refund.

Personally I strongly recommend this sim. It shows to everyone else what is capable to be achievable.
I am sure that Stefano from KUNOS, has many hours on this sim, since I see many stuff get transferred and that is a good thing.

Real weather (from real weather stations), flag rules, real road, perfect FFB, excellent physics and an awesome depth, makes this sim outcome easily some drop backs like old graphics engine, content.

Every gamer that has a FFB wheel, has to buy this sim.

Just load Brabham-Repco BT20 at Nordschleife2 v2.01. Best thing ever!!!

That's certainly easier. But then I still have the issue of not wanting the default AI being added to races.
No need to pack things or digg in files.

- Start a race session with a practice session
- Make sure you've set the opponent filters if you do multi class races.
- add "0" AI
- during practice click "Add AI"

You'll get a drop down list and you can add the cars you want and amount of cars you want. For example 6 LMP1's, 8 LMP2's, 20 GTE's
1 click takes +/-0,5 sec. To fill a grid with 34 cars: 17 seconds... :)

An ambitious, technically proficient simulation but one that, ultimately, doesn't cut it as an all-round product befitting of the year 2016.

Just out of interest: what is your alternative regarding all-around products befitting of the year 2016? Because out of my own experience all other products are more restricting and less all around than rF2.

It is easy to critizise a product without showing alternatives.

I would recommend rF2 wholeheartedly. It is simply put the best racing simulator on the market. Assetto Corsa is a good looking game with passable physics, but lacks the depth that rF2 has. I don't have AMS so I cant speak to it. Project Cars doesn't even belong in the same category. SMS made that game for consoles. (Not that its a bad thing, just not really a simulator)

If you want good AI, Great Netcode, the best physics and cars that handle as they should in real life, plus an actual simulation of a full race weekend then the ONLY choice is rF2.

Just out of interest: what is your alternative regarding all-around products befitting of the year 2016? Because out of my own experience all other products are more restricting and less all around than rF2.

It is easy to critizise a product without showing alternatives.
AMS, R3E and AC. Not saying they are more feature-rich than rF2 but they are (imo) all-round better games, and yes, I view all these sims as games because I play them for fun and relaxation, not as a training tool or anything like that.

R3E is the one I play the most. Stellar content featuring fleshed-out classes and real world series, high quality tracks (and lots of them), good physics and FFB, class-leading audio, leaderboards and good multiplayer...an excellent all-round offering...in my opinion of course. It is playing catch-up in terms of features but is getting better all the time.

AMS, R3E and AC. Not saying they are more feature-rich than rF2 but they are (imo) all-round better games, and yes, I view all these sims as games because I play them for fun and relaxation, not as a training tool or anything like that.

R3E is the one I play the most. Stellar content featuring fleshed-out classes and real world series, high quality tracks (and lots of them), good physics and FFB, class-leading audio, leaderboards and good multiplayer...an excellent all-round offering...in my opinion of course. It is playing catch-up in terms of features but is getting better all the time.

I wish I had the same opinion. I think that R3E has mediocre physics. In my mind it's not even a sim. It's too simplified and I rank it at the same league as PCars.

AC is IMO overall the best package. Not THE best in everything but highly ranked in most areas.It's my major sim at the moment.
rF2 has a huge place in my heart though. I just love it. It's not even a game. It's a sim. As AC is.

I wish I had the same opinion. I think that R3E has mediocre physics. In my mind it's not even a sim. It's too simplified and I rank it at the same league as PCars.
Given that R3E's physics engine is based on pMotor, it should be very capable with the right data, the same cannot be said for AC.

AC is IMO overall the best package. Not THE best in everything but highly ranked in most areas.
The only things about AC that are highly ranked are the presentation and HUD customizability, most of AC isn't even up to par with what we had more than a decade ago.

rF2 has a huge place in my heart though. I just love it. It's not even a game. It's a sim. As AC is.
They aren't in the same league regarding simulation value (has to correlate with real data). AC's physics engine is fundamentally even simpler than R3E's.

I'm embarrassed that I made my friend buy rFactor 2. Everytime we go online, no one's on. The cars drive atrociously and slip and slide around as if there is a huge hole in the physics engine.

All the typical ISI engine holes from the 1990s still exist like vehicles behaving like there is no weight in the physics engine, like there is no mass being pressed into the ground. Like there is no forward momentum. Or, as my friend put it: "Like you're being pulled by a rope from another car in front of you".

You can even cleary see all it from the way the vehicle behaves. You can go around corners using like 20% the amount of steering lock that a real life driver needs to go around the corner because of what I explained above. The car, the physics, want to keep turning more and more - it's ridiculous - and therefore you can keep very small and unrealistic amounts of steering lock on and the car just keeps turning as if there's no gravity and/or momentum trying to keep the car heading straight.

Low speed slip/grip behaviour is still terrible and it's like the tyres turn into cement.

Unless you're understeering, then you're just trying to prevent the car from turning in more rather than steering it yourself since it's often like there's no forward momentum. You're often trying to prevent the car from turning (or turning too much), rather than actually trying to make it turn, because of this massive weight/momentum/being-pulled-by-a-string issue that's been around in the ISI engine for 20 years.

If you drive a soft/old car or a road-car then it's like the physics run in slow motion or something. Everything is imprecise and like it's from a different planet. It's like the physics are of a different universe. In Assetto Corsa, you can tell the physics are trying to simulate actual vehicles, and on planet Earth at that.

The ISI engine has tremendous potential but it needs lots of fixes which surprisingly still exist after 15 or 20 years and completely ruin the driving experience for me personally, my friend, and every single person who's ever come over and driven at my place. The glaring holes in the physics engine need to be seriously fixed. You can clearly see and sense these issues in any game with any ISI physics engine coding in it including R3E and PCars.

P.S. This stuff is all highly and easily reproducible / repeatable.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back