Would You Recommend rfactor 2 ?

Hi Everyone,
I've played Project Cars, too buggy at the moment. Just getting in to RaceRoom, which I really enjoy. But what about rfactor2. I want to race online more, not necessarily leagues but a lot a various classes to get variety in the cars you drive.
Would you recommend rfactor2 as a sim and also the popularity of online racing.

It would be nice if we could get a central repository of rF2 content. Something similar to what we had in rfactor central before SRW bought it and turned it into crap.

Tim has posted this to ISI forums: "A simple single location for people to find mods. If you want, you can link the download button to your forum thread in here which talks about your mod and obviously allows downloading. Please don't post anything in there that someone can't actually download yet"

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/16576-Third-Party-Mods-section

I would definitely recommend rF2, although I am mostly racing offline. Even if its optimization is questonable (visuals vs performance) and there's not much content I am interested in.

Compared to other modern games I play (pCars/R3E) this game offers deepest level of simulation. First time I fired it up and I realized: heck, I have flags, full course yellow, unsportsmanlike driving detection, cut track penalties that make sense, better damage, most convincing physics, good AI. RealRoad(TM) is impressive. This is the closest modern game to GTR2 in good and bad ways (visuals). Paired with Apex GT3 mod, Spotter plug in and couple of 'ok' quality tracks, I can't wait till I drive rF2 again. I cannot, however, have full championship - no tracks, or tracks are poorly implemented (I noticed flag rules don't work on some).

Biggest issue in my opinion: lack of content. Not all tracks I'd like to run are available, not all cars. Still, this is deepest product. And, for someone who is more into historics, or purely physics of driving, or bored with popular content, this is great product. I deeply wish rF2 success.

I recommend RF2 for offline. In fact its the best for AI offline. But I will not recommend it for MP when we have to pay ISI just for the chance of playing online. I only race online here at the Racedepartment clubs anyway and I'll be dammed if I am paying twice.

But I will not recommend it for MP when we have to pay ISI just for the chance of playing online.
You don't have to pay twice.
You have the option to get the full product with lifetime online for a fixed one-time price.
Or the cheaper option with a very small yearly online fee for the online services.
I only race online here at the Racedepartment clubs anyway and I'll be dammed if I am paying twice.
Many of the rF2 leagues aren't here on RD.

Last edited:
rF2 is a puzzling enigma, oftentimes to the point of frustration.
Here is a paradox that may be illustrative -
From a pure sim perspective, I'm pretty certain rF2 is the best out there. In the right car/track combo, it's freakin' magic.
Yet, I turn the vast majority of my laps in other sims (specifically GSCE/Automobilista) for the simple fact that I find the quality/quantity of the content in rF2 does not hold up.

Personally, my short answer to "would I recommend it?" is "yes".
My long answer is still a "yes", but comes with conditionals. Personally, I would not recommend it as a "desert island" sim (i.e. it's not the first sim on the market I'd recommend someone jumping into - that crown goes to GSCE/Automobilista). That said, if you have the disposable income handy and enough time on your hands to give it a try, I say "go for it" because you may not perceive it to be deficient in content the same way I have (because it's subjective, just like about everything else).

I think if I could get a sim with rF2 at its guts, but wrapped up with the "Reiza touch", I'm pretty sure I'd probably race very little else.

First of all, so we all understand eachother, gsce or automobilista are NOT based on rf2, they are based on rf1. So now that that's out of the way....
- Clearly rf2 is the king in physics and ffb department, as well as the other elements that make it a "full experience" sim, as pitting, flag rules, real roads and the garage implementation, plus weather and time transitions, and many more small touches that just puts it on top of anything out there, to many to even remember.
- graphics might not be as "shiny" and eye candy like as assetto corsa wich is the best at that, and please let's not include pcars here, cause we are talking about proper sims.
- it is not a game you will easily find public servers to just pick up a race and go nuts, and I'm using the term "nuts" as a "softener" and what i mean is you noy gonna just get into a server with idiots and have a destruction derby frenzy like you can find in most sims. That brings me to the next point
- THIRD PARTY CONTENT. This is where you separate a good experience from a bad one. A sim is as good as the people it's used by.
What i mean by that? .... Rf2 is ment for racing, hardcore racing, not driving arround in a copy of your real life car, or just a car you feel like you have the right to drive in the game, that's what makes a sim BAD. it's not about the quantity obviously, it's about quality, and rf2 has more than enough very good quality cars and tracks, so much that most people don't have space on their drives to install them.
Another big aspect of mods, specially cars, you don't NEED more mods, you just WANT more, because you are bored of driving arround offline with a specific set of cars you already have, and that is happening because this is not a driving game like assetto corsa, it's a hardcore racing one, so for you to have real actual fun, you need to be online andnin leagues and clubs with proper drivers, and cars and proper racing. And my god when you get there its just absolutely fantastic.
Another aspect of mods, this being a personal point of view, is that you just need this, one street car, one gt1, gt2, gt3, gt4 car, one f1 type car, one fr3.5 type car, and others like that, if you what i mean. You dont NEED to have 100 cars to have amazing fun in rf2. You don't NEED to have a copy of your own car in the sim to have fun, well of course the exception being, that you might have a very race worthy or drift worthy car :p, but that's highly unlikely.
Another personal "i dont care" aspect for me would be tracks quality, i mean come on guys, who the eff gives an eff about the effing trees, or an effing trackside ad panel or other crap like that. You gotta get into that racing mindset, specially in a real life racing situation, you are going to care about that crap, exception being some visual braking points, wich are there even in the lowest quality track.
****So my conclusion would be this:****
- stop bitching about quantity of crappy mods and get into that quality mods, and get the most out of them by racing organically.
- go in pcars or console games if you want to see your "dream car" in a game.
- get the most out of a track before you call it low quality. And after you did that you make a better version of it, and you stop complaining. Or get into a codies game :p
- YES everyone who is serious about sim racing and recently, drifting, should get on rf2 train, but if you just wanna drive a street car arround beautiful trees and lakes and stuff like that, i encourage you to stay away, get assetto, or go arcade route, plenty of those arround.

Just a small point here so you know my history on this subject... i raced arround 4 years on rf1, every damn night and day, on lots of small and big leagues, from clio cups to f1 champs, then I had enough racing, because to many rules, and got into drifting in assetto corsa, did 1300+ hours of that, I got extremely good at it, but naturally I wanted more, so i started making drift cars in rf2 a few weeks ago, and I'm loving it so much more than ac.
Also i use a highly calibrated and very well setup rig, wich is very important for a proper experience (lots of aspects there that are so important that they actually make a car drive differently) with triples screens and buttons and all that jazz.

If you have anything to comment about my take on this subject, just don't because I won't care at all and i only posted this because a fellow rf2 user. So i will unwatch this thread. Take whatever you want from this, take the time to read carefully, and that's pretty much it. Have a nice effing day, also i wrote this while i was taking a dumb on my toilet, so you might wanna think about that a bit hahahah

You have the option to get the full product with lifetime online for a fixed one-time price.
Or the cheaper option with a very small yearly online fee for the online services.

You don't have to pay twice physically if you choose lifetime, true. But instead you have to pay an extra charge of 50€. That equals a 170% increase of the price of the standard game (29.99 €). That to me is essentially paying twice. I feel rF2 online would be much more successful with a more reasonably priced lifetime access product, starting from e.g. 50€. The price gap right now doesn't attract many into buying lifetime.

Why do ISI charge for multiplayer? No one else does it.
I pay here for my multiplayer servers and I ain't paying anyone else. Their loss not mine, I'm happy using the others race sims online and RF2 offline.

Just a small point here so you know my history on this subject... i raced arround 4 years on rf1, every damn night and day, on lots of small and big leagues, from clio cups to f1 champs, then I had enough racing, because to many rules, and got into drifting in assetto corsa, did 1300+ hours of that, I got extremely good at it, but naturally I wanted more, so i started making drift cars in rf2 a few weeks ago, and I'm loving it so much more than ac.

If you have anything to comment about my take on this subject, just don't because I won't care at all and i only posted this because a fellow rf2 user. So i will unwatch this thread. Take whatever you want from this, take the time to read carefully, and that's pretty much it. Have a nice effing day, also i wrote this while i was taking a dumb on my toilet, so you might wanna think about that a bit hahahah
So you wrote this whilst taking a "dumb"? I think you are talking a load of shite rubbish and I just don't believe you.:roflmao: :whistling::cool: And you need to get some basic grammar skills too. :p

Another aspect of mods, this being a personal point of view, is that you just need this, one street car, one gt1, gt2, gt3, gt4 car, one f1 type car, one fr3.5 type car, and others like that, if you what i mean.
This is right on spot. That's why for example I am not excited at all when someone says "I have 85Gb of mods in AC". Do you even drive it all? It is about quality, not quantity and collecting. And rF2 is deepest modern generation product atm.

You don't have to pay twice physically if you choose lifetime, true. But instead you have to pay an extra charge of 50€. That equals a 170% increase of the price of the standard game (29.99 €). That to me is essentially paying twice. I feel rF2 online would be much more successful with a more reasonably priced lifetime access product, starting from e.g. 50€. The price gap right now doesn't attract many into buying lifetime.
You don't pay twice. rF2 is a serious simulation tool with different features and simulation value compared to other titles, so it shouldn't have a regular price.
rF2's tire model for example is a major leap compared to what came before and that alone probably has had more man-years of research to it, than some whole other titles. Not to mention the other physics improvements (chassis flex etc), great AI, race rules, Realroad, netcode, packaging features with auto-downloading of mods etc and much more. It's the most complete moddable sim platform. All of this warrants the current price.

Last edited:
You don't pay twice. rF2 is a serious simulation tool and not the same product with the same features and simulation value as other titles, so it shouldn't have the same price.
rF2's tire model for example is a major leap compared to what came before and probably has had more man-years of research to it, than some whole other titles. Not to mention the other physics improvements, great AI, race rules, Realroad, netcode, packaging features with auto-downloading of mods etc and much more. It's the most complete moddable sim platform. All of this warrants the current price.
Your response doesn't answer why rF2 charges for multiplayer feature (it doesn't provide MP services as iRacing to begin with). The base version still has same tire model, all same features you have listed, you also receive same new added content.
Buying full time license is literally paying twice for the ability to play MP with the same features as in base product.
At least this is how it looks for new people who are planning to buy rF2.

Considering that MP is almost dead (unless you are planning to join leagues which are indeed active) there is almost no reason to buy lifetime license. And even if you planning join leagues you need to consider if lifetime is worth as it costs the same as base + 3 years MP extension. In short you need to be sure that you are going to play MP for at least 4 years to consider lifetime license as higher value purchase.

Actually DLC model makes more sense as you pay for what you want in terms of content with lifetime MP access.

Last edited:
Your response doesn't answer why rF2 charges for multiplayer feature (it doesn't provide MP services as iRacing).
iRacing is much more expensive, and each piece of iRacing content costs as much as the yearly online fee of rF2.
ISI hosts the matchmaker, 5 of their own servers and online update services for the non-steam version.
They don't charge for DLC, so they use this model to fund further development.
If rF2's price is such a big issue, then you have bigger problems to worry about.

Considering that MP is almost dead (unless you are planning to join leagues which are indeed active) there is almost no reason to buy lifetime license.
Major disinformation.

Last edited:
iRacing is much more expensive, and each piece of iRacing content costs as much as the yearly only fee of rF2.
ISI hosts the matchmaker, 5 of their own servers and online update services for the non-steam version.
iRacing is more expensive for a reason. Huge amount of licensed cars + highest quality laser scanned tracks, high amount of hosted servers with well organized online services - it costs a lot.

5 half empty servers cannot justify the price increase nor it provides the value for the price increase.

This model isn't attractive from a customers point of view. There is no logical to reason to pay more for a lifetime license unless you are planning to play MP for at least 4 years to consider lifetime license more valuable.

If rF2's price is such a big issue, then you have bigger problems to worry about.
If ISI has the same attitude as your response to the pricing model it explains why they rF2 isn't as popular as it could.
If a potential buyer doesn't spend on the sim for this reason then it's not my issue, as it's not me loosing potential payment but ISI.

Last edited:
My experience is that RF2 is my least used sim at the moment because RD US club is not popular like at all and I tried to join 2 oval races but there were only 2 people on the server and Martheus is 10x faster than me.

Sometimes I really wonder if I should have spent the money I used on RF2, PCars, and R3E on iRacing instead. iRacing just can make me have so much confidence in them that I know that my money will be spent on quality content and service. I really wish to ask what do you guys think is the most cost-effective way to do sim racing, in a more neutral and mature manner of speak of course.

iRacing is sure not at all cost effective but if what your looking for is alot of racing (24/7) then look no further. The physics are decent too!

Cost effective: Assetto Corsa (decent physics) is my 2nd choice to rF2 and Pcars is more simcade but can still provide alot of fun and these sims have a decent amount of pickup races to join if you can put up with all the wreckers!

Note: AC & Pcars: Best to join a league to avoid the wreckers for a better all around experience!

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back