Would You Recommend rfactor 2 ?

Hi Everyone,
I've played Project Cars, too buggy at the moment. Just getting in to RaceRoom, which I really enjoy. But what about rfactor2. I want to race online more, not necessarily leagues but a lot a various classes to get variety in the cars you drive.
Would you recommend rfactor2 as a sim and also the popularity of online racing.

@Spinelli In light of the recent aknowledgment of many players and also Devs of the issues with tires slip angle, have you changed your mind at all about what is actually happening? Could it be that the tires aren't themselves the only culprit of such behavior? Reading lots of your previous comments about direction of travel/slip angle it makes me question what's happening, since in AMS2 I definetly found simillar foundamental issues, although the tires are totally different models.

@Spinelli In light of the recent aknowledgment of many players and also Devs of the issues with tires slip angle, have you changed your mind at all about what is actually happening? Could it be that the tires aren't themselves the only culprit of such behavior? Reading lots of your previous comments about direction of travel/slip angle it makes me question what's happening, since in AMS2 I definetly found simillar foundamental issues, although the tires are totally different models.
Well I've said for many years that it's possibly not just tyres. It could also be other stuff inherent in the core physics engine. Things having to do with momentum, inertia, and all sorts of other things related to forces, dynamics, kinematics, etc. On top of that further, could also have to do with engine (as in the vehicle's motor) modelling and how engine power/torque and as well as the throttle works. It's difficult to say as none of us have access to the core physics engine's coding. Even if I did, I'm not a programmer nor an engineer nor scientist so I'd have no idea where to start or look, lol.

Yes, though, as you stated, it doesn't matter if it's F1 Challenge 99-02, rFactor 1, Automobilista, Project Cars 1, Project Cars 2, Raceroom, Automobilista 2, etc. You can see these peculiarities in all those games which, as you stated, tells me it's probably not just purely the tyre model itself since. Having said that, it's a little better and/or different in some of those games due to further core-coding changes to the physics engine and tyre model (but still there).

In AMS1, I pressed some sort of shortcut key to get some in-game overlay with all sorts of stats. And I found something that would coincide with every time I'd get chaotic power delivery and tire slip (under power). It's a stat called "virtual throttle". I could validate it happening 100 out of 100 times so it couldn't be a coincidence. I really felt like I was onto something there but no one really seemed to care when I tried pointing it out.

I'll re-post what I found...By the way, apparently "virtual throttle" itself is part of the turbo modelling but "virtual throttle" can be also getting information from other parts of the game-engine so even though "virtual throttle" itself may not be doing anything in a non-turbo car (such as the AMS1 F3), it can still indirectly be telling us something from other aspects of the game-engine.

Here's the post:

"I went to press ctrl-f to see the framerates but by accident I pressed ctrl-d. Suddenly, a bunch of information popped up that I've never seen before (see pic):

When I checked the "virtual throttle," I saw some seemingly strange numbers. As I was slowly increasing the throttle while slowly accelerating, the virtual throttle matched my throttle inputs accordingly, however, I noticed 2 things that not only seemed very strange but perfectly matches 2 things that I've long said. I've often said the following 2 things:

1) When in neutral (or clutch pressed in) and revving the engine, the engine often responds in a seemingly overly sensitive way. For example, you'll be at 10% throttle, suddenly bring the throttle to 20% and the engine revs shoot up as if you gave the engine wayyy more throttle than 20%.

"Virtual throttle" behaves EXACTLY like what I described above: if I'm at 10% throttle, and suddenly bring the throttle to 20%, the "virtual throttle" will suddenly spike to very, very high amounts of throttle like 70%, 80%, 90% instead of 20% throttle.

2) Often, during wheelspin/oversteer, the wheelspin and engine revs will skyrocket so aggressively and abruptly as if you suddenly smashed the throttle down or as if the engine suddenly received a humongous torque spike or as if the car suddenly magically gained 2,000 hp.

"Virtual throttle" behaves EXACTLY like what I described above: go around a tight hairpin, get a nice, quick slide on to help straighten the car out on exit and watch the "virtual throttle" when the rear-end kicks out. Even though you may be pressing the throttle down only at 30%, the virtual throttle will shoot up to 80% or 90% and the revs/wheelspin will perfectly act in accordance with the "virtual throttle." The revs/wheelspin abruptly skyrocket in perfect collaboration with the "virtual throttle" therefore the revs/wheelspin behave as if there's a humongous torque spike or as if you suddenly smashed the throttle down - which is exactly how I've been always describing this behavior.

AMS' "virtual throttle" absolutely, 100% perfectly matches what I've been saying about engine revs & wheelspin/oversteer behavior. I've always said it's as if the engine suddenly outputs wayyyy more power during those times - now, I discover this "virtual throttle" telemetry and, low & behold, it 100% exactly matches what I've been trying to say for so long."

original post: https://forum.reizastudios.com/threads/ams-virtual-throttle-any-explanation-for-its-behavior.7875/

Last edited:
Finally decided to post in this thread .............

MEH.jpg

What is to recommend, get it on instant gaming for 6AU damn last steam sale was like $7AU so wow big investment really needs some thought :x3:

Well I've said for many years that it's possibly not just tyres. It could also be other stuff inherent in the core physics engine. Things having to do with momentum, inertia, and all sorts of other things related to forces, dynamics, kinematics, etc. On top of that further, could also have to do with engine (as in the vehicle's motor) modelling and how engine power/torque and as well as the throttle works. It's difficult to say as none of us have access to the core physics engine's coding. Even if I did, I'm not a programmer nor an engineer nor scientist so I'd have no idea where to start or look, lol.

Yes, though, as you stated, it doesn't matter if it's F1 Challenge 99-02, rFactor 1, Automobilista, Project Cars 1, Project Cars 2, Raceroom, Automobilista 2, etc. You can see these peculiarities in all those games which, as you stated, tells me it's probably not just purely the tyre model itself since. Having said that, it's a little better and/or different in some of those games due to further core-coding changes to the physics engine and tyre model (but still there).

In AMS1, I pressed some sort of shortcut key to get some in-game overlay with all sorts of stats. And I found something that would coincide with every time I'd get chaotic power delivery and tire slip (under power). It's a stat called "virtual throttle". I could validate it happening 100 out of 100 times so it couldn't be a coincidence. I really felt like I was onto something there but no one really seemed to care when I tried pointing it out.

I'll re-post what I found...By the way, apparently "virtual throttle" itself is part of the turbo modelling but "virtual throttle" can be also getting information from other parts of the game-engine so even though "virtual throttle" itself may not be doing anything in a non-turbo car (such as the AMS1 F3), it can still indirectly be telling us something from other aspects of the game-engine.

Here's the post:

"I went to press ctrl-f to see the framerates but by accident I pressed ctrl-d. Suddenly, a bunch of information popped up that I've never seen before (see pic):

When I checked the "virtual throttle," I saw some seemingly strange numbers. As I was slowly increasing the throttle while slowly accelerating, the virtual throttle matched my throttle inputs accordingly, however, I noticed 2 things that not only seemed very strange but perfectly matches 2 things that I've long said. I've often said the following 2 things:

1) When in neutral (or clutch pressed in) and revving the engine, the engine often responds in a seemingly overly sensitive way. For example, you'll be at 10% throttle, suddenly bring the throttle to 20% and the engine revs shoot up as if you gave the engine wayyy more throttle than 20%.

"Virtual throttle" behaves EXACTLY like what I described above: if I'm at 10% throttle, and suddenly bring the throttle to 20%, the "virtual throttle" will suddenly spike to very, very high amounts of throttle like 70%, 80%, 90% instead of 20% throttle.

2) Often, during wheelspin/oversteer, the wheelspin and engine revs will skyrocket so aggressively and abruptly as if you suddenly smashed the throttle down or as if the engine suddenly received a humongous torque spike or as if the car suddenly magically gained 2,000 hp.

"Virtual throttle" behaves EXACTLY like what I described above: go around a tight hairpin, get a nice, quick slide on to help straighten the car out on exit and watch the "virtual throttle" when the rear-end kicks out. Even though you may be pressing the throttle down only at 30%, the virtual throttle will shoot up to 80% or 90% and the revs/wheelspin will perfectly act in accordance with the "virtual throttle." The revs/wheelspin abruptly skyrocket in perfect collaboration with the "virtual throttle" therefore the revs/wheelspin behave as if there's a humongous torque spike or as if you suddenly smashed the throttle down - which is exactly how I've been always describing this behavior.

AMS' "virtual throttle" absolutely, 100% perfectly matches what I've been saying about engine revs & wheelspin/oversteer behavior. I've always said it's as if the engine suddenly outputs wayyyy more power during those times - now, I discover this "virtual throttle" telemetry and, low & behold, it 100% exactly matches what I've been trying to say for so long."

original post: https://forum.reizastudios.com/threads/ams-virtual-throttle-any-explanation-for-its-behavior.7875/

I'm Tiago Antunes from YT, so sorry I didn't reply here anymore after the exchange there. Interesting finding on the virtual throtle. We all know rF2 lacks even propper drivetrain physics so...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back