Would You Recommend rfactor 2 ?

Hi Everyone,
I've played Project Cars, too buggy at the moment. Just getting in to RaceRoom, which I really enjoy. But what about rfactor2. I want to race online more, not necessarily leagues but a lot a various classes to get variety in the cars you drive.
Would you recommend rfactor2 as a sim and also the popularity of online racing.

No its not.

Quoting from your second link which is a reliable source for who has ISImotor2 (the first isn't)

After years of independent development by ISI, the new software engine was first released by SIMBIN in their FIA GT Racing Game: GTR. This was quite an effective test of the isiMotor2 engine,

ISI continues to license isiMotor2 to other companies such as 2PEZ Games Development, Reiza Studios, Ignite Game Technologies, Blimey! Games, Slightly Mad Studios and The Sim Factory.

Just had to correct the disinformation, but we are way off topic.
The isiMotor from GTR2 that pCars derived from is not the same final isiMotor2 that rFactor uses. Several crucial physics improvements were made to it, such as:
- brake temperature vs performance curves (just optimum temp and 'fade range' in GTR2)
- separate lateral and longitudinal load sensitivity in tires
- pneumatic trail which can be linked to RealFeel for 'pure physics force feedback.

Last edited:
The isiMotor from GTR2 that pCars derived from is not the same final isiMotor2 that rFactor uses.

Agree :)

Several crucial physics improvements were made to it.

How crucial the improvements are is of course subjective, as indeed is the importance of GTR2 features not present in rFactor. I'm think we can agree to disagree :)

Agree :)
How crucial the improvements are is of course subjective, as indeed is the importance of GTR2 features not present in rFactor. I'm think we can agree to disagree :)
They are objectively very crucial for proper simulation. You're also forgetting all the other crucial improvements, such as netcode (miles ahead of GTR2, not even close), AI and some more, that rFactor 1 (isiMotor2) got through those years.

I could tell within literally 3 corners of playing PCars for the first time in my life that it's based on ISI physics engine or at-least uses some ISI physics source-code (although the tyre model itself is apparently not related in any way as there seemed to be heavy development of a brand-new, unrelated tyre model from SMS). PCars does a lot of the same things I have explained multiple times in this thread (and others). I could notice the ISI physics when driving PCars even though I didn't know that PCars had ISI physics running it, I only first suspected it purely from driving it. It's that obvious.

Anyways, my friend called me at 11:30 AM to race because he's free until 2:30 PM. We both went online at 12:00 PM and were checking out RF2...It's now 1:45 PM and we're still here staring at our desktops, wow! We both tried joining 6 different non-passworded servers and 5 of them said invalid (or invalid password, I can't remember) and the other 1 said forbidden (or unauthorized or something) again, they were all non-passworded and I've never even experienced this issue in any build, ever, of RF2...What a joke. This game is just broken in all sorts of ways even years later.

Last edited:
Anyways, my friend called me at 11:30 AM to race because he's free until 2:30 PM. We both went online at 12:00 PM and were checking out RF2...It's now 1:45 PM and we're still here staring at our desktops, wow! We both tried joining 6 different non-passworded servers and 5 of them said invalid (or invalid password, I can't remember) and the other 1 said forbidden (or unauthorized or something) again, they were all non-passworded and I've never even experienced this issue in any build, ever, of RF2...What a joke. This game is just broken in all sorts of ways even years later.

Get missing component is not working in Build 1080. If you are using steam you can join true Steam server list(matchmaker) and all is working fine. (View up top of your Steam window go to Servers and then join server by using connect tab).

Get missing component is not working in Build 1080. If you are using steam you can join true Steam server list(matchmaker) and all is working fine. (View up top of your Steam window go to Servers and then join server by using connect tab).
Thanks for the help, Ari, but unfortunately Steam didn't work either for any of those servers for either of us. The little black Steam window (that tells you the server info) would quickly come up but then disappear almost instantly for the both of us. It's OK, he ended-up not having to leave and we joined a Formula Retro room in AM at Classics Spielberg and Interlagos.

Thanks for the help, Ari, but unfortunately Steam didn't work either for any of those servers for either of us. The little black Steam window (that tells you the server info) would quickly come up but then disappear almost instantly for the both of us. It's OK, he ended-up not having to leave and we joined a Formula Retro room in AM at Classics Spielberg and Interlagos.

If you are using the default ports in your Muliplayer.JSON ("HTTP Server Port":64297 , "Simulation Port":54297) you must also open these additional ports on your router:

UDP+TCP 54297
TCP 64297
UDP 64298
UDP 64299

@Spinelli: I can't stop but ridicouling at your point how 1/5th of steering is needed to replicate real life in rF2. First your arguments sound like you want the cars to be stuck down to the ground. This can only mean one thing, you've never driven real life car over 80% or 90%, yet you speak and post as some kind of driving expert, how your driving confirmed things. I've never even heard of you in any league. You have no idea how light the car gets on the limit and how to use the car to achieve the impossible.

Further more, I've seen your video about this "hole" where you accelerate out of hairpin under lock and spin it, an Fr3.5 car. If you want to see what a good setup can do for you, just youtube some of rFactor2 pole position laps. Also, it seems as if you've never heard of power-oversteer. But, lets assume you google to find what it is, depending on setup and throttle input not every hairpin on fast lap, actually not majority is under power-oversteer. They also sometimes use up to 180 degrees of steering lock and 90ish very often. Which is the same thing which happens in real life with the same cars.

How the hell can you put yourself as a measuring stick and come up with such wrong ideas, conclusions and lead an entire sea of bullshit based on that is astounding. Please man, if noone else, let me educate you at least on things related to driving, on the limit and cars reactions. For things deeper in engineering sea, data comparisons, calculations and general programing and engine side of the game I can't claim to be any sort of expert. I'm not a moder or developer of anything other then car setups. But, if anything these test that you've proclaimed through driving are utterly utterly driver and setup mistakes.

Last edited:
Your statement is even more ridiculous.:roflmao:

The turn rate you can get away with in AC is astronomical compared to not only ISI sims but iracing too,If I drove RF2 like I did in AC, ID have shot my tyres in 2 laps, the moment I expect the slip angle adn tyre load to give in, on AC or at least "cook" my tyres, I just keep rotating the wheel and car keeps rotating, with zero adverse effects, regardless of car setup (lets ignore the ridiculous amount of camber and front brake bias on default setups).

The turn rate you can get away with in AC is astronomical compared to not only ISI sims but iracing too,If I drove RF2 like I did in AC, ID have shot my tyres in 2 laps, the moment I expect the slip angle adn tyre load to give in, on AC or at least "cook" my tyres, I just keep rotating the wheel and car keeps rotating, with zero adverse effects, regardless of car setup (lets ignore the ridiculous amount of camber and front brake bias on default setups).
Underlying "zero". Clearly a major disinformation in a form of sensationalist expression as you guys do in the PRC.

There are obvious adverse effects past optimum slip angles:
braking effect
less turn rate
tire wear and temp increase (temp increase rate is much faster in RF2 and iRacing though)

Whether the amount of the above is correct is another question.

Since 1.5 update the cars (especially with slicks) have much worse side effects past optimum slip angle than it used to be.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 80 29.1%
  • More leagues

Votes: 56 20.4%
  • Prizes

Votes: 60 21.8%
  • Trophies

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 18 6.5%