Would You Recommend rfactor 2 ?

Hi Everyone,
I've played Project Cars, too buggy at the moment. Just getting in to RaceRoom, which I really enjoy. But what about rfactor2. I want to race online more, not necessarily leagues but a lot a various classes to get variety in the cars you drive.
Would you recommend rfactor2 as a sim and also the popularity of online racing.

If you are looking for "beauty" with a bit of "simulation", i recommend pCars ,AC and Forza when it will come to PC.
Well I think I appreciate the real simulations too.
But yes I guess I found my "balance" with AC, with good graphics and physics.
Come on, Project Cars and Forza are in a lower league. lol;)
I'm definitely going to "follow" the evolution of rFactor 2 though.
rFactor 1 was my #1 racing simulation in the 2000s and I hope that rFactor 2 will become bigger.
It's possible I'll buy it soon eventually.
I already miss what I just experienced with the Renault cars. (which I don't even like in real life lol):roflmao:

I think, it needs a bit of time to see what rF2 actually offers and how deep the experience is. I guess the Demo is good for what it is, but it will never show the full potential as you can't acees all the mods. For me it is just great that it does not limit me in any way. Last week I played a complete race weekend for 6 hours of Spa and it was fantastic. The option to make races as long as I like, to adjust time progression, tire wear and fuel consumption, are just perfect for offline racing.

I did a practice, quali and a race and the multiclass racing against the AI worked perfectly. I could set up the starting procedure (with safety car or not and wether it is rolling or not etc) and it was pretty intense to hunt the AI through the traffic - and it just works damn good. AI coltrolled prototypes really go for a gap through the traffic wich really adds to the immersion. With time setup to 3x acceleration I drove into the night and it was just great to race against AI as we swapped positions due to different strategies. At a certain point you actually get the feeling that you are racing at a racetrack and that you can smell it. What makes it so superb is the flexibility. When you have a spin, lockup or little crash, you can actually edit the pit menu on your wheel, without having to click through apps while trying to keep the car on the road. Some people say, that the UI and HUD in rF2 are outdated, but they are from a user standpoint the most flexible ones and you can adjust tons of options. It's all there. And if you really need something that is not in the game, you can use one of the many available plugins.

And that's only the offline part of it. If you want to dig alot deeper, you can go online (Sunday on ISR server you get pretty good racing) or join one of the professional leagues like VEC or FSR. If you want to get an impression of what is possible, just search for one of Jimmy Broadbents VEC streams on YT. Pretty entertaining. ;)

Some people say, that the UI and HUD in rF2 are outdated, but they are from a user standpoint the most flexible ones and you can adjust tons of options.
Yeah the UI might not be shiny but I could understand very easily, it's very convenient.
When I don't need to read a manual or check tutorials online, it means a game has been cleverly designed. ;)
(I love the apps system in AC too though! :p)
Oh you remind me... I'll have to check how to completely disable the UI though.
That's how I race usually. lol:roflmao:

I admit, racing against the A.I. felt like racing against real people. lol
Best A.I. I've seen so far, in all games, including old ones like GTR2.

The option to make races as long as I like, to adjust time progression, tire wear and fuel consumption
Oh hmmm we can do this in AC too, except.. No 24 hours racing...:cry:

Well I'll check "Jimmy Broadbents" on Youtube tonight.:)

rFactor 2 is really for "Simulation" guys, it's not really about graphics or sound, it's for those looking for the most advanced physics and race immersion possible. I believe most of the computing resources are shifted towards getting the highest physics rate possible for all the complex calculations in the background.
You know what, I'm under the same impression. I'm getting the same FPS with rF2 and AC and it's kind of obvious this is the case, since physics engine of rF2 is what 4x higher frequenzy?

• Deleted member 130869

Let's not get back in the realm of speculation. She has the demo working and if she's comfortable can still make the standard purchase through ISI, spend a week trying it out if it's something she'd want to keep or get a refund.

If you do pursue the option of trying through full game, i highly recommend the installer version instead of the Steam purchase. As i said, you have seven days to decide if you wish to keep it. You can even refund and go for Steam after if you really desire their service.

If you are looking for "beauty" with a bit of "simulation", i recommend pCars ,AC and Forza when it will come to PC.
Then I'm gonna uninstall your f1 2002 mod; according to you, by association with the game, it only has a bit of simulation. So what's the point in driving your f1 2002 mod if your work on it only has a bit of simulation too, in direct relation with the bit of simulation from the game.
How dare a sim look good and be realistic at the same time. Outrageous.

rFactor 2 is really for "Simulation" guys, it's not really about graphics or sound, it's for those looking for the most advanced physics and race immersion possible. I believe most of the computing resources are shifted towards getting the highest physics rate possible for all the complex calculations in the background.
If you care about the absolute realism, you drive/race in real life. No current sim is an exact replica of real life, be it in physics, sounds, graphics, driving equipment.

I don't know what "most advanced physics" means, but then we should include BeamNG there. But it definitely takes more than "most advanced physics" to replicate a specific car from real life. Having the "most advanced physics" doesn't guarantee the car was replicated exactly.

And how do you test which sim is the most realistic on the cars present in the game? Attention that "most realistic" is no measure to how realistic is a sim vs real life.

i highly recommend the installer version instead of the Steam purchase.
For some reason, I tend to avoid Steam as much as possible. Loving GOG though.
Any reason I should avoid the Steam version?
I know one thing, I have the good old GTR2 with the Ferraris and all. If I remember correctly, the online installer didn't have them.:confused:

Speaking of GTR2, I just did a few laps on Spa at night, to compare with a video I just watched of Jimmy Broadbents.
Actually, after having driven so long in Assetto Corsa, and now after trying rFactor 2, I notice it's quite hard for me to drive in GTR2.
I do prefer the feeling of rFactor 2, but despite being SO old, I actually prefer the looks of GTR2, which I heavily modded though, I admit.
(Recently I started using GEMFX which makes the game look really great... I wonder if I couldn't use it in rFactor 2 as well though...):rolleyes:
Look at this beauty... (no antialiasing though, and I don't know how to disable this #*>! hud)
GRAB_004.jpg

• Deleted member 130869

I know one thing, I have the good old GTR2 with the Ferraris and all. If I remember correctly, the online installer didn't have them.:confused:

Speaking of GTR2, I just did a few laps on Spa at night, to compare with a video I just watched of Jimmy Broadbents.
Actually, after having driven so long in Assetto Corsa, and now after trying rFactor 2, I notice it's quite hard for me to drive in GTR2.
I do prefer the feeling of rFactor 2, but despite being SO old, I actually prefer the looks of GTR2, which I heavily modded though, I admit.
(Recently I started using GEMFX which makes the game look really great... I wonder if I couldn't use it in rFactor 2 as well though...):rolleyes:
Look at this beauty... (no antialiasing though, and I don't know how to disable this #*>! hud)
View attachment 132998

I prefer the liberty of the installer. I find it easier dealing with my content and don't care enough for the Steam matchmaker or the race events. Plus if possible i always go for non Steam so again, i have my liberty and am not too much into a centralized platform which isn't known for customer care.

About GTR2, you can install the CD version update and have the Ferrari and Porsche cars back ;).

I think, it needs a bit of time to see what rF2 actually offers and how deep the experience is. I guess the Demo is good for what it is, but it will never show the full potential as you can't acees all the mods. For me it is just great that it does not limit me in any way. Last week I played a complete race weekend for 6 hours of Spa and it was fantastic. The option to make races as long as I like, to adjust time progression, tire wear and fuel consumption, are just perfect for offline racing.

I did a practice, quali and a race and the multiclass racing against the AI worked perfectly. I could set up the starting procedure (with safety car or not and wether it is rolling or not etc) and it was pretty intense to hunt the AI through the traffic - and it just works damn good. AI coltrolled prototypes really go for a gap through the traffic wich really adds to the immersion. With time setup to 3x acceleration I drove into the night and it was just great to race against AI as we swapped positions due to different strategies. At a certain point you actually get the feeling that you are racing at a racetrack and that you can smell it. What makes it so superb is the flexibility. When you have a spin, lockup or little crash, you can actually edit the pit menu on your wheel, without having to click through apps while trying to keep the car on the road. Some people say, that the UI and HUD in rF2 are outdated, but they are from a user standpoint the most flexible ones and you can adjust tons of options. It's all there. And if you really need something that is not in the game, you can use one of the many available plugins.

And that's only the offline part of it. If you want to dig alot deeper, you can go online (Sunday on ISR server you get pretty good racing) or join one of the professional leagues like VEC or FSR. If you want to get an impression of what is possible, just search for one of Jimmy Broadbents VEC streams on YT. Pretty entertaining. ;)
I agree with almost all your points, and while you don't have to click through pit menus, its default HUD engine is certainly not the most flexible from a user standpoint.

Last edited:
Steam version has many advantages such as, auto-updating of mods through the Steam workshop in addition to regular manual mod installs, access to beta builds and switching regular builds with just a few clicks, faster downloads/updates, multiplayer integration with your Steam friends lists, synchronizing settings across multiple devices/installs, auto-updating of SDK and some more.
You can buy the non-steam version so you are able to test for 7 days and then switch to Steam.

A little bit off-topic (not that much though, just helping the OP a bit more deciding which simulation to get), I just tried Automobilista.:rolleyes:

It's really a GREAT game, but I didn't "feel" the car as much as in rFactor 2. :unsure:
Definitely, physics felt more real in rFactor 2.
A.I. didn't seem that much better than rFactor 1. A.I. in rFactor 2 did seem "human" to me... Scary. lol
Didn't try the multiplayer.
Also, I really don't think the graphics improved that much compared to rFactor 1.
(then again, I'm spoiled by AC and everything looks lifeless after you've been used to its graphics lol)
I'm not even sure they're better than rFactor 2, unlike what people say.
If you download the "right" tracks and cars for rFactor 1, and use a filter or something like GEMFX, it looks the same or even better. Same for GTR2.
Not bashing the game though! It IS great!
I definitely enjoy their cars and I appreciate the novelty of Brazilian tracks. (I only knew Interlagos and Jacarepagua I think.. lol)
I won't keep it though, and I prefer the official content of AC, and the mods too.
I WOULD keep it if EVERY rfactor 1 track and car was converted to Automobilista. ha ha
(at least the important mods and tracks)
Cos then I would replace my rFactor 1 folder with Automobilista, since it does have a few improvements though.

Not related to the OP's question, but personnally, I NEED hillclimbs (Joux plane, for example) + Historx mod... Or at least something similar to Historx or Power & Glory.
They're the two main reasons I keep rFactor and GTR2, and AC is my first choice.
(and of course Richard Burns Rally)
I really hope that eventually we'll get these for rFactor 2. Or at least something similar.
Cos otherwise, many people like me won't "switch" to rFactor 2.:cry:
Actually, you know what...
If Sim Traxx ported ALL of their tracks to rFactor 2, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
Of course that's not all I play, but this only would be good enough. lol

Now what... The only simulations I haven't tested are raceroom racing experience and iracing...
I won't try iRacing but maybe I'll do Raceroom... Looks great but it seems AC has the exact same features/tracks/cars...:rolleyes: I'm not too motivated to test games which look the same as what I already have... lol

• Deleted member 130869

@Lily Starfox
If you got the installer, you have that one week window to get the refund. If it's Steam, it's 2 hours within 14 days.

If you want hill climb and any sort of driving on loose surface, you are "stuck" with Richard Burns Rally, World Racing Series (http://www.worldracingseries.net/) or even DiRT Rally. The latter is more flare than the quality of the first two, but if you don't notice the difference then you don't have to worry about it. Your best bet might simply be stick to what you currently have, make the most of it, and wait to see what else develops from the current crop of titles in 2016 or 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: Off-Topic removed
Believe it or not, I have it and haven't installed it yet. Too late for a refund too.:roflmao:
I did try it at a friend's house and I'll give it another chance later.
I felt like the handling was a bit disappointing compared to RBR though.:unsure:
It sure looks incredible, but...
As insulting as it may sounds, I consider that Dirt Rally is the Project Cars of Rally racing.:speechless:
*go hide*
lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Prizes

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Trophies