Wheel settings after update

Peter

who cares
All the old control sets are terminated with the update.

The advised settings are 900° and 30 wheel lock, but we tested and used default wheel driver settings without damper and spring.

For example Thrustmaster T500 60%/100%/100%/0%/0% and TX 75%/100%/100%/0%/0%.

Logitech uses 270° default, so the wheel lock is set to 10 in game.
Feel free to change that to 900°/30.

All wheels that have 900° should use this from now on as a default setting.

The target for the team is to have an automatic rotation/lock for all wheels/cars in the future.

I'm Fanatec too and for me it's the centre feel that's the problem. It feels like the wheel centring force is too violent which pushes the wheel past the centre point and creates the sway. I can live with it but it doesn't feel right. Not sure what I can do to correct this or if it's a problem with my model of wheel or actual wheel in particular. I need to do some testing with other sims.

But in general centre feel is vague. FFB doesn't feel progressive enough. Increasing steering force intensity helps but then makes the above problem worse at the same time.

Just tried r3e since some time again, and coming from fresh AC update, man you can instantly feel you need that center force trick in ffb. I'm with g27 so you understand more so then any game or old AC big deadzone in the middle and end of ffb move isnt pronounced either. Very unprecise under braking without this min force, as car tries to zig zag a bit you feel nothing until you start cornering. Would really like to see this coming. In one of the future updates.

Must be something specific to certain hardware - my guess Logitech related,.
In my case Thrustmaster (T300). I can't put my finger on anything reproducible, it just seems like the FFB varies with time. Not always, but often enough (especially in the ADAC 2014 and DTM 2014 experiences) that it's frustrating.

It could be something as simple as a specific setting or combination of settings, I guess. I'm using:
  • FFB intensity 55% (moving this around to find out where I get clipping via experimentation)
  • Steering Force intensity 100%
  • Understeer 90%
  • Vertical Load 200%
  • Lateral Force 120%
  • Steering Rack 0%
  • Engine/Brake vibration 0%
  • Kerb 25%
  • Shift effect 60%

In my case Thrustmaster (T300). I can't put my finger on anything reproducible, it just seems like the FFB varies with time. Not always, but often enough (especially in the ADAC 2014 and DTM 2014 experiences) that it's frustrating.

It could be something as simple as a specific setting or combination of settings, I guess. I'm using:
  • FFB intensity 55% (moving this around to find out where I get clipping via experimentation)
  • Steering Force intensity 100%
  • Understeer 90%
  • Vertical Load 200%
  • Lateral Force 120%
  • Steering Rack 0%
  • Engine/Brake vibration 0%
  • Kerb 25%
  • Shift effect 60%
I'm using a TM TX, how do you have your wheel configured in the TM control panel?

My TM control panel:
900 deg.
Overall strength: 100%
Constant: 100%
Periodic: 100%
Spring: 0
Damper: 0
Auto Center: by game

In game
FFB
Intensity: 70%
Steering force: 100%
Under steer: 100%
Vertical load: 200%
Lateral force: 150%
Steering rack: 100%
Engine Vibration: 10%
Brake Vibration: 30%
Kerb: 45%
Shift effect: 80%

For the DTM cars I'm using 540 degree / 20

Also, under controls/advanced what do you have Steering Sensitivity at? I wonder if something running in the background on your computer is affecting things but can't imaging what that would be (effect on FFB).

Last edited:
My TX control panel:
900 deg.
Overall strength: 75%
Constant: 0%
Periodic: 85%

In game
FFB
Intensity: 80%
Steering force: 125%
Under steer: 90%
Vertical load: 125%
Lateral force: 80%
Steering rack: 0%
Engine Vibration: 0%
Brake Vibration: 0%
Kerb: 50%

Advanced tab is default

My T500rs control panel:
900 deg.
Overall strength: 60%
Constant: 0%
Periodic: 85%

In game
FFB
Intensity: 75%
Steering force: 100%
Under steer: 90%
Vertical load: 125%
Lateral force: 80%
Steering rack: 0%
Engine Vibration: 0%
Brake Vibration: 0%
Kerb: 50%

Last edited:
I'm using the following in drivers for the T300:
Gain: 75% (default)
Constant: 100%
Periodic: 100%
Spring and Damper: 0%
Auto center: by game

Advanced tab in game is default sensitivity, although j probably removed default deadzones if they were present.

I do always get a message from Steam that it couldn't start the game in parallel to running it, which is pretty much the only thing I can think of. The PC is not running any kind of gunk, just minimum install for gaming. I'm running R3E pretty close to max settings (Core i7, 8GB RAM, GTX760) so I guess it might be frame rate issues affecting FFB although visually it looks smooth. I don't notice any FFB variation when playing AC, pCARS, iRacing, RBR, GRiD Autosport, Wreckfest, etc...

What is a good tool to use for FPS checking under DX11/Win8.1? (All them other sims have built in FPS counters so don't have FRAPS or suchlike installed)

Ok, used FRAPS. I was getting 55-70fps hotlapping, presumably lower in races. I switched reflections down to low for a gain of around 30fps (80-100fps) hotlapping, 60-70fps racing the AI.

I think it might have helped. Need to test more though.

Track Detail - Medium - helps at Portimao
Car Reflections - Low - helps everywhere
Split Shadows - Off - helps everywhere
Motion blur - Off - helps everywhere

If you had to adjust your graphics settings to get better performance, these are the one's I would sacrifice, the others seem to have minimal impact at their max settings except 8xAA of course. The Moscow course is brutal on performance so you can always test your graphics settings there for worst case scenario if you like to maintain a specific framerate. Try 9-11 AI cars at Moscow and see how it goes.

Track Detail - Medium - helps at Portimao
Car Reflections - Low - helps everywhere
Split Shadows - Off - helps everywhere
Motion blur - Off - helps everywhere

If you had to adjust your graphics settings to get better performance, these are the one's I would sacrifice, the others seem to have minimal impact at their max settings except 8xAA of course. The Moscow course is brutal on performance so you can always test your graphics settings there for worst case scenario if you like to maintain a specific framerate. Try 9-11 AI cars at Moscow and see how it goes.
With only reflections on Low I'm getting very playable Moscow results. I did a race with 22 cars in DTM 2014 and was getting 55FPS on the grid, dipping below 50FPS on the long back straight while in the middile of the pack, however it was up to 60-80FPS everywhere once the field spread out.

Moscow is a good example of the FFB experience I'm getting: The back straight has nice surface feel, you get the impression of driving along a road. But some of the corners in the middle of the track (even at 80FPS) feel utterly flat and there's also no real car weight transfer feel, only centering spring and a hovercraft feeling. Is this because those corners are just utterly smooth/flat or is something else happening?

I still get that hovercraft feeling occasionally, but it seems like it's only on certain cars. I really dislike it and that's the only thing holding this game back (besides a more robust online multiplayer) but if I just stick to the cars that feel good it's not an issue. I don't get any stuttering or FPS drop on any of the tracks, but I'm guessing that's because I have a GTX970.

The bad thing is that I'm guessing a lot of people try the game, feel that weird hovercraft effect, and dismiss the game completely not knowing what they're missing out on with some of the other cars. I know I did at first, but the sounds and visuals lured me back and then I found this thread and started tinkering with all the FFB settings and it really changed the game for the better.

Hey Gents
I never wright on forums but here goes.

R3E has been quiet a thrill for me. I have battle with my pad/ wheel settings forever. I started R3E with a microsoft pad, that was a dissapointment. I webt on to buy G27 with a play seat. I spent hours trying to find the correct setting. when I play Race07 it just works, pad and wheel. There is no problem I can race and at a respectable pace.
Everytime there was an update for R3E My settings would go out after I got some where with them. This last update proved hard once again. After the update the car was uncontrollable.

I then deleted all my profiles and made a dicision to stick with standered. Now I can get somewhere, I am running every thing on default. This is the only stuff I have changed
Lateral force
Vertical force
Steering sensetivety
All the kurb vibrations are on 0

The rest I run default on my G27 and I can put down constant laps within a 10th or 2 of each other and that is loads of fun.

I know that there is room for improvement on the wheel but I don't want to battle anymore just have fun racing.

I just would like to know something. Do guys run on Nitro Methane in this game? Because when I am flat out on a track, on the verge of loosing it with no traction control on, I am like 3 seconds off the pace. It just feels sureal like I am useless or something.
Zondevort lap record adac in Audi 1:37
Me flat out 1:40 no traction control.

Oh well, happy Racing
Ant

Because when I am flat out on a track, on the verge of loosing it with no traction control on, I am like 3 seconds off the pace. It just feels sureal like I am useless or something.

Oh well, happy Racing
Ant

Fast is smooth, always remember that. Keep the steering input as little as possible. Don't always use 100% brakes, helps the stability. I usually use about 50-60% TC in Get Real. It may sacrifice some time but it helps with consistent laptimes.
Zandvoort is a particularly tough track and it requires smoothness in driving. First drive smooth laps without locking up brakes, don't push the throttle input. Learn which corners you can attack hard (corners where the car understeers) and which corners you need to be smooth (both under and oversteer). The fastest racing line is a bit harder to follow on this track than on others, but there is a lot of time to be gained on corner exits.
One more thing about the track: I've found that it's better to keep off all the kerbs, try that.

I still get that hovercraft feeling occasionally, but it seems like it's only on certain cars. I really dislike it and that's the only thing holding this game back (besides a more robust online multiplayer) but if I just stick to the cars that feel good it's not an issue. I don't get any stuttering or FPS drop on any of the tracks, but I'm guessing that's because I have a GTX970.

The bad thing is that I'm guessing a lot of people try the game, feel that weird hovercraft effect, and dismiss the game completely not knowing what they're missing out on with some of the other cars. I know I did at first, but the sounds and visuals lured me back and then I found this thread and started tinkering with all the FFB settings and it really changed the game for the better.
Another example: I just ran the McLaren ADAC 2014 around Slovakia Ring. Brand new track. Going over kerbs or offtrack is very easy to feel in the FFB. The track itself feels utterly smooth, didn't notice a single bump or undulation or anything anywhere, felt utterly disconnected from the car+road, very unsatisfying experience (enough to make me stop and go race another sim instead).

I'm assuming the Slovakia Ring has been modelled with the new track surface tech, but if so then there might be a bug causing that surface to be ignored somehow?

If not, what am I doing wrong?

Another example: I just ran the McLaren ADAC 2014 around Slovakia Ring. Brand new track. Going over kerbs or offtrack is very easy to feel in the FFB. The track itself feels utterly smooth, didn't notice a single bump or undulation or anything anywhere, felt utterly disconnected from the car+road, very unsatisfying experience (enough to make me stop and go race another sim instead).

I'm assuming the Slovakia Ring has been modelled with the new track surface tech, but if so then there might be a bug causing that surface to be ignored somehow?

If not, what am I doing wrong?
I just bought ADAC 2014 last night and just gave the combo you mentioned a go. It does seem like a very smooth track but I don't know what the IRL track is like. We also don't know if S3 is finished tweaking their new tracks. But I surely don't feel "disconnected", it's a fun track for a GT car. With that said, based on your settings (yours were lower than mine) it may have less feedback than what I'm experiencing (TX). Also gave the other new track Sachsenring a go, this did have more bumps but a little too tight a track for my liking with these GT cars, definitely need some practice.
I don't understand giving up on a sim because you don't like a particular track/car or two. I would give up on every single sim I own if that was the case. But, to each their own, just a discussion.

I just bought ADAC 2014 last night and just gave the combo you mentioned a go. It does seem like a very smooth track but I don't know what the IRL track is like. We also don't know if S3 is finished tweaking their new tracks. But I surely don't feel "disconnected", it's a fun track for a GT car. With that said, based on your settings (yours were lower than mine) it may have less feedback than what I'm experiencing (TX). Also gave the other new track Sachsenring a go, this did have more bumps but a little too tight a track for my liking with these GT cars, definitely need some practice.
I don't understand giving up on a sim because you don't like a particular track/car or two. I would give up on every single sim I own if that was the case. But, to each their own, just a discussion.

To be fair, every car in this game has this issue to some extent. On some it's bad enough to ruin the experience, on newer cars it's not as noticeable so it doesn't have as big of a negative impact, but it's still there and that can be frustrating. Part of me wants to give up on this sim because of it, but it's a small part and it's usually out voted by the parts of me that are smiling because of all the good parts. It's very close to being a a great sim, but this one issue really holds it back from achieving that.

I also feel the disconnected feeling, in every car/track to some extent. Best I can describe it is that there appears to be no friction between the tires and the road surface. On some cars it's bad enough to make them not fun to drive, on others it's not as bad. So far, in my (brief) experience none of the settings have any effect on this and it can never fully be tweaked out. Luckily there are other parts of the sim that are so enjoyable that for the most part it doesn't damper my enjoyment of the game too much. I just make sure to stick to certain cars that I know feel pretty good.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back